Thread: Montreal LODD

Forum Member

Default Montreal LODD

MONTREAL (CP) - City firefighters were mourning one of their own Saturday after a veteran captain was killed in a freak firestorm at a small apartment building.

Capt. Marcel Marleau, a decorated 28-year veteran of the department and father of two, led a team to investigate complaints from residents that they smelled smoke in the building on Langelier Blvd. in the city's north end.

Just after 3:30 a.m. they found a sofa in a first-floor apartment that appeared to be burning and started to ventilate the room and evacuate residents.

However, fire chief Serge Tremblay said Marleau and his team suddenly found themselves surrounded by flames from a deadly flashover.

"There was a thermal phenomenon that isolated Capt. Marleau from the group," Tremblay told a news conference.

A flashover happens when something burning or smouldering causes hot gas to build up at ceiling level. When the gas reaches a certain temperature, the entire room explodes in flames.

Tremblay said fellow firefighters were unable to reach Marleau despite several rescue attempts.

Another firefighter suffered second-degree burns to the face during the fire which spread quickly through the three-storey building. He was treated at hospital and released.

Mayor Gerald Tremblay praised Marleau's team for helping the more than 100 other firefighters who answered the five-alarm fire continue to evacuate dozens of residents.

"Marcel's team continued to act with courage and professionalism and succeeded in evacuating the some 30 residents of the building," he told reporters.

The Quebec government also offered its condolences.

"The premier and all the members of the government join me in offering their sincere condolences to Mr. Marcel Marleau's family and his colleagues . . . especially those of Station 14, Group 1," Premier Jean Charest's No. 2 deputy and the public security minister, Jacques Dupuis, said in a news release.

Marleau is the fourth Montreal firefighter to die in the line of duty since 1990. The city's flag's are flying at half-mast.

Fire chief Tremblay said earlier at the scene that his colleagues were stunned by the loss of the captain, who had been decorated several times for bravery.

"The service is completely devastated. We've already set up psychological counselling at one place and three units are there right now," he said.

Members of Marleau's unit have also all been visited by psychologists.

A resident of the building told the all-news channel LCN she knew there was trouble when several firefighters ran out of the building.

"They were saying 'He's trapped, he's trapped,' " said the woman, who said she had escaped by jumping from her first-floor apartment.

She said several more firefighters then ran back in the building to try to free their colleague.

"It seems it was too late. I don't know if something fell on his head or something," said the woman, who was not identified.

The station reported that Marleau had been due to retire and was not even supposed to be working that night. It said he had switched shifts with a co-worker.

The cause of the fire is being investigated by police, but is so far believed to have been an accident.

In an unrelated blaze, a man was killed and another badly injured in an apartment fire in the city's southwestern Verdun neighborhood.

Firefighters found the men, both in their 50s, unconscious in the kitchen after the fire started around midnight, said a police spokesman, adding that the fire appeared to be an accident.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

Repos dans le frère de paix.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Rest in Peace Capt. Marleau.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Unhappy

Rest in peace, Brother.
    Repos dans le frère de paix.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

My condolences to the family and friends of Capt. Marcel Marleau.

Rset in peace Capt. Marleau.

Forum Member

Mine also, its always a bad thing to lose one of our own
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in Peace, Brother.
    My condolences to the family.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

another sad day...Rest in Peace Cap
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

the 4-1-4

Un autre pompier pour protéger le ciel. Se reposer dans la paix.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...122?hub=Canada

Public funeral planned for Montreal firefighter
    Updated Sun. Jan. 22 2006 4:14 PM ET

Canadian Press

MONTREAL — There will be a public funeral Thursday for a Montreal firefighter killed in a five-alarm blaze on the weekend.

Capt. Marcel Marleau, a 28-year veteran of the fire department, died early Saturday morning as he led a team investigating complaints of smoke in an apartment building in the city's north end.

Shortly after 3:30 a.m., Marleau and his team found a smouldering sofa on the first floor of the three-storey apartment and began to evacuate the building.

Marleau, 47, was separated from his fellow firefighters when the room suddenly exploded into flames in what is commonly called a "flashover."

They occur when hot gases build up on the ceiling, heating up until they ignite into flames.

Marleau was trapped by the flames and fire chief Serge Tremblay said firefighters were unable to reach him despite several attempts.

Another firefighter suffered second-degree burns to his face. He was treated in hospital Saturday and released.

Marleau, a married father of two, had received several commendations for bravery.

Police are investigating the cause of the blaze.

Marleau was the fourth Montreal firefighter to die in the line of duty since 1990.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brother rest in peace. And also my condolences to the family may god be with them.

Forum Member

Rest in peace my brother, you will be missed.

Forum Member

Rest In Peace !

Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Forum Member

God speed Brother...

Pat
    Last edited by CommDiva; 01-23-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Sleep with angels, Marcel
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace brother, may your family find confort and peace in knowing that you died while saving all those lives...

Reposes en paix mon frère, que ta famille puisse trouver du réconfort et de la paix sachant que tu est mort en sauvant toutes ces vies...

MembersZone Subscriber

Rest in peace brother!
    My condolences to the family and friends.
    Leather Forever

Lt. Ladder Co. 1

The opinions expressed here are my own and do not in anyway, reflect those of my department.

Thread Information