Thread: Grants

Forum Member

Default Grants

I am not trying to be a jerk but what is it with all these big city departments with huge budgets getting millions of dollars in grants. I realize they need the equipment but what about the smaller cities with no budget and getting nothing. I live in a small city in Missouri which covers 12 square miles, a population of 6,500 and a budget of less than $80,000.00 and we get nothing. We are all volunteers and run appr. 700 calls a year, we have run mutal aid as far as 200 miles away. What do we need to do to obtain a grant and does anybody no of grants we may qualify for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cserini
    I am not trying to be a jerk but what is it with all these big city departments with huge budgets getting millions of dollars in grants. I realize they need the equipment but what about the smaller cities with no budget and getting nothing. I live in a small city in Missouri which covers 12 square miles, a population of 6,500 and a budget of less than $80,000.00 and we get nothing. We are all volunteers and run appr. 700 calls a year, we have run mutal aid as far as 200 miles away. What do we need to do to obtain a grant and does anybody no of grants we may qualify for.
    ok...first thing that came to mind...what in the heck kind of fire did you provide mutual aid for that was 200 miles away?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Wildland would be my guess. Anything else and I think we would have all seen the column.

And comments like these are the reason my first slide in my seminar is what it is: Perceptions kill.

A large budget city department with 25K+ calls and spending 85% of their budget on salaries and benefits has no better opportunity to purchase all new SCBA than a department in your condition. It's not about how much money you have, it's about how statistically probable it is that you can afford to do what you are proposing to do, coupled with the benefit that project will have. I know departments with more area, more calls, and less people and money that I work with, and they all would be more competitive in most projects just based on what you've put in your post.

What you can't do is assume that you are the neediest person around, and write your project and application in that manner. Peer Reviewers will see right through it. Follow the PG, read the available articles (I know 3 real good ones ), and follow the proper process to designing a project and narrative. 95% of the mistakes I find in applications are very simple ones, and most of them consist of not writing what needs to be addressed in the narrative. If you can't see why you're getting denied, then check with someone outside of the fire department in the community. Check with another department in the area, a school teacher, business person, anyone that can objectively read and understand the guidance documents, and then review your narrative to see of those objectives were met.

Of course if you're not making it to Peer Review, then your project is not meeting the statistical needs. Too often people ask for too much. Don't forget, with some departments asking for both PPE and SCBA is a DHS 'laundry list'.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Let the horse beating begin
    Attached Images Attached Images  

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Now that there's funny, I don't care who y'are.

Forum Member

Default Grants

Listen, I don't think my department is the needest around but come on FDNY getting 2.2 million(just an example, I have all the respect in the world for FDNY-343-). I realize the city I live in probably will never have a terrorist attack against it, but with unsafe and out dated equipment, departments like mine are losing more firefighters every year. More or less i just wanted to know if other people felt like i do?

Also, in 1999 we took our tanker to a brush fire 200 miles away. I don't remember how many acres it was.

Forum Member

Your frustration is warranted; however the poor me isnt gonna help anything.

Go to www.firegrantsupport.com and find a class in your area, learn what's new, what changed etc. These are only workshops however there is a wealth of knowledge to be gained, and contacts from surrounding depts who can help you as you proceed.

You can find answers to most questions you have right here in the forums, and if ya dont see it; post it.
    The only stupid question is the one that is not asked.

There are many people here who have good advice & share it (Kurt, Brian, Alana).

The answers to most everything lies in the Program Guidance, which you can download from the above site. Take it, read it, re-read it, then highlight anything you think may help, or a section you might not be clear on.
    Once you have an understanding of what is expected; the process becomes less daunting.

Once you come up with an idea for the project; surf through the forum section and see if there is info on it.

You should REALLY start doing the whole assessment thing now; the program rolls out in like 3 months.

MembersZone Subscriber

The sooner you stop bellyaching about who got their grant, and start learning to find out what you are doing wrong, the sooner you will get funded! Most of my clients have been denied 2-3 years in a row before they seek competent advice.

Follow the first rule of proper management; "surround yourself with competent people" and then follow rule # 2 "listen to what they are telling you". If I can help you out, I would be glad to help give me a shout ( see profile).
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information