Forum Member

Default Radio training materials

Hi,

I am looking for any training material on how to use the radios.
    I am surprised that we have a lot of training references for every subject of firefighting except radio communications.
    I am even more surprised that the NFPA minimum standards for FFI/II do not even include the international spelling alphabet (ITU/ICAO) in its requirements

I am trying to put together a short training on communications procedures for a volunteer fire dpt; any help is welcome.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=patrickf[I am surprised that we have a lot of training references for every subject of firefighting except radio communications.[/QUOTE]

Don't be surprised. You are absolutely right. They are used on every incident we go on no matter how mundane or serious. They are the only way you can call for help in a life-threatening emergency. Yet nobody wants to spend any time teaching or learning about them. For the almost 3 years I've been the communications engineer in my department, I have been trying to get a good in-depth drill to happen on radio communications. I don't know what the big problem is but nobody wants to schedule it as a drill. People don't like having to learn how something somewhat technical works, including the officers that do the training. It has been the bain of my existance for years. Keep trying.

Send me a PM or E-Mail and I can send you some of the training material I have made (not that it has gone very far).
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Willing To Help,

Pat, Im A 9-1-1 Communications Operator Who Handles Police Fire And Ems For A Multi Jurisditional Department, Covering 4 Fire And 3 Ems, As Well As Police Dispactching, Also A Firefighter Emt, Anything I Can Do To Help Let Me Know, Cfdff190@ Aol.com

Forum Member

I am also interested (you know me from the Batboard). As stated nobody wants to even attempt to wrap their brain around it. We have the best system we have ever had going right now and most have a hard time turning to a channel, or figuring out what "scan" is for.

Birken

Forum Member

Patrick, go to your 911 center and ask for a class to be presented to your guys on proper radio communications. There are no better teachers then the communicators. At least as far as communications to the comm center. One of your own people should do the class on incident scene communications/FF to FF commmunications as that rarely has much to do with the comm center. Your dispatchers should already be certified in ICS and they can incorporate that into the class.

The technical aspects of how a radio works as far as repeaters and such is pretty much worthless to anyone other then dispatchers and the guys who work on them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MrJim911
    Patrick, go to your 911 center and ask for a class to be presented to your guys on proper radio communications. There are no better teachers then the communicators. At least as far as communications to the comm center. One of your own people should do the class on incident scene communications/FF to FF commmunications as that rarely has much to do with the comm center. Your dispatchers should already be certified in ICS and they can incorporate that into the class.
    I wish I lived where you live!! Sometimes I wonder if the buttons on the console are in a different language preventing them from finding it to push it....
    Last edited by nmfire; 01-24-2006 at 08:15 AM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Radio Training

You might wish to check out www.911dispatch.com and apco911.org for related materials and links to other resources. Also FEMA / NIOSH and other regulatory agencies have reports and incidents related to firefighter safety and communications. Depending on how detailed you want to get, and the focus of your presentation, these can be of assistance. If your folks think that radio training is "too boring", try adding in a little roleplay or tabletop exercise. That often livens things up. As mentioned before, the radio is the one tool we use on every call, but the one that we train on the least.

Thread Information