Forum Member

Default how much do you get for uniform allowance or clothing allowance?

Simply stated, for the career FFs, how much do you get for your uniform allowance? If I'm not mistaken, that amount is usually negotiated by the union, so how do they come up with the number?

for the volunteer FFs, do you get a uniform or clothing allowance? how much, and is it the same for everyone, or does how active you are determine how much you get?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Volunteer here, no allowance at all.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Our Department is combination but mostly paid on call. We get a clothing allowance once a year, they officers have a special meeting to discuss who been active enough and in good standing. Firefighters get $400.00 Cadets get $200.00 and if your on both Fire and EMS you get $800.00. This is all after you have served your 1 year of probation.
    Ryan

I.A.C.O.J. Probie

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Lets not forget those lost on 9-11-01

former FH.com member

We have a commissary system here. A vendor is selected by the City and firefighters/paramedics are given a $500 credit per year to purchase uniform items. Better spend it all though...it's "use it or lose it".

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SAFD46Truck
    We have a commissary system here. A vendor is selected by the City and firefighters/paramedics are given a $500 credit per year to purchase uniform items. Better spend it all though...it's "use it or lose it".

Lucky you T-46,

I would suggest everyone do their best to keep a system where they give you "X"-amount of dollars every year for Uniforms and equipment and not some quartermaster system where they decide what to issue you and when.

Here we used to get a check every year...now we have a quartermaster that only gives us crap we don't need...is not even close to convienent for anyone to visit. They only give out these garbage golf shirts (It makes us look like Best Buy Employees) and one pair of shorts a year. They fight you anytime you bring in damaged gear or clothing wanting replacement. Basicly they get a set amount of money from the city every year and they try to limit expenditures by giving out as little as possible. They make it difficult and are far from helpful.

I think we now get $400 for a "Maintenance Allowance" every year. I would rather get X dollars for actuall purchase and maintenance than this scam we have right now.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

We get $875 a year for uniforms and related equipment.

All turnout gear is provided by the City.

If you wqnt to upgrade to a leather lid and boots, the City will pay the amount of the standard issue, the rest can be charged to the clothing allowance, or paid out of pocket for reimbursement.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 01-23-2006 at 08:36 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Talking

Fire Dept is POC so no clothing allowance. First Responders, you get a FR t-shirt every time you recert (evey 3 years). Plus a mug every 5 years.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

MembersZone Subscriber

$400 cash per year. When I first started they gave you a $400 credit. Fred is correct - getting the cash (xmas bonus) is a much better option.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Volunteer. No allowance, they give us what we need (for the most part ).
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Forum Member

We just started recieving a uniform allowance, $275.00. This amount was set by our Resource Management Division. Stay Safe.

the 4-1-4

We are issued $500 annually for the purchase of, and maintenance of our work clothing. How that amount was decided upon, I really have no idea. However, I will ask about it the next time I work.
    Our turnout gear operates out of a separate, quartermaster style of system.

Forum Member

One department I was on got about $800 for the first year, the second year you got about $400.

The other department was $300.

One department I turned down for a variety of reasons gets 5% of their base pay or something like that. They are responsible for purchasing their own equipment though, including helmet, gloves, boots, turnout gear, hood, uniforms, and trinkets for all those pockets.

After your second year you actually make out in the deal, but they also have annual uniform and gear inspections so you have to keep your stuff in working and serviceable order.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAFD46Truck
    It used to be 800.00 a year before the city provided bunker gear. Well, I should clarify... the city furnished bunker gear when you were a probie, and after that, you were expected to replace it as needed etc. Later, they changed to a commisary, and provided new bunker gear for everyone. Once we recieved the new gear, our clothing allowance dropped to 500.00 a year, because, now we no longer had to provide our own BG.

I actually got caught in the middle of that. I came out of the academy, and had to use training gear for several months until my city bunker gear came in. Once I got it, I used it for a few more months, and then the city gave me a new set (Morning Pride) as per the change over. So, now I have a set of brand new Quaker gear sitting around. I guess I need to either donate it to a Vol. Dept, or sell it one ebay or something.

Like 46 said, we have to use our money or it goes back to the city. This past year over 100,000 dollars went back It's hard for the union to push the city for more 'allowance" if all the guys are not using 100% of thiers. The most the city has ever gotten back from me was about 32 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by BucksEngine78
    $400 cash per year. When I first started they gave you a $400 credit. Fred is correct - getting the cash (xmas bonus) is a much better option.
    We used to get cash when it was 800, but the Chief said that all anyone ever bought with it was beer... and that guys were running around in faded stuff. Confederate grey I think they call it.

It all works out though, we get a check at the end of the year if we have "perfect attendance" (no sick leave) that is around 700-800 bucks.. and usually comes right before Christmas.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 33motor
    It all works out though, we get a check at the end of the year if we have "perfect attendance" (no sick leave) that is around 700-800 bucks.. and usually comes right before Christmas.
    Not for nothing bro...if you guys wouldn't work sick and cause a little OT I'll bet a couple of tours of OT would be worth much...much more than $700-800. I can't imagine how they can encourage members to work sick when it only jeapordizes the health and safety of all the members of the department.

To each his own.

You mentioned you fomerly got it in cash...did the union negoitate that away?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    Not for nothing bro...if you guys wouldn't work sick and cause a little OT I'll bet a couple of tours of OT would be worth much...much more than $700-800. I can't imagine how they can encourage members to work sick when it only jeapordizes the health and safety of all the members of the department.

To each his own.

You mentioned you fomerly got it in cash...did the union negoitate that away?

FTM-PTB
    I know what you're saying, but no one said we "have" to work sick. Plenty of guys use sick leave, but it's more common to trade time if you're sick so as to not loose your bonus check. Yes, I'm sure the city offers it for that reason, because it is cheaper for them to pay the bonus vs. OT. However, FF's are the only ones entitled to OT, no rank above that is called for OT. A FF fills the OT spot, and if the officer is the one gone, then the Eng, bumps up etc etc. So, for those above the rank of FF, the bonus is nice. Otherwise the only difference in thier pay is step up, and although it adds up.. I'm sure they like the "check" at the end of the year.

I agree that it does create a situation where someone who might have called in sick is working, and not up to his/her 100% potential. But, like I said, more often than not, the person usually trades time with someone.

As for if the union asked for cash, I don't know for sure. I think they had been getting the 800 for a long time, so it was probably "the way it was done". When they switched over to the 500 I guess the city would not back down from the idea of the commissary. They may have even wanted to give less, and the union perhaps got a little more out of them by saying they would let them use a commissary system. It's been a handful of years back, and I don't recall.
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

Posted by DaSharkie

One department I turned down for a variety of reasons gets 5% of their base pay or something like that. They are responsible for purchasing their own equipment though, including helmet, gloves, boots, turnout gear, hood, uniforms, and trinkets for all those pockets.
    That must have been "the Burg"... am I right or what?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

We issue several sets (3 pants and shirts) to the new firefighters once they graduate the 14 week tower.
    After that it's a replacement on an as needed basis. Now that money's tight the BC's have to sign and approve the uniform requisitions.

MembersZone Subscriber

The only thing we have to buy here are belts, t-shirts, and socks. Uniform pants, shirts, coats, even shoes are issued, and (obviously) bunker gear. When your stuff gets worn out, we just go to the person in charge of the commissary and exchange it.

On my old dept..get got $725/year. Half paid in June...the other half in December. The only thing they replaced was bunker gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

$400.00 a year but we have a quartermaster system that gives us everything from 2 sets of bunker gear to t-shirts and shorts. We only have to buy shoes and socks.

Forum Member

$850 per year (first payday in October).City provides all turn-outs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    That must have been "the Burg"... am I right or what?
    It was indeed. A guy I know is on the job there and when he was going through the MFA he got picked on because of that.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

I know a few jakes from "da Burg". they are instructors or work support at the MFA.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We supply the uniforms and bunker gear.............we are POC so there is no other allowance.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    I know a few jakes from "da Burg". they are instructors or work support at the MFA.
    I know quite a few of the fellas from Fitchburg from working in the area and when I used to work for Patriot Ambulance.

The only one I know for sure works up there is Mike Gelinas but I know that there are a few guys from there.

Forum Member

$0.00. Department supplies everything but unifrom boots and your on your own for them.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information