MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LtLarry
    Since I just complete the NIMS-ICS instructor course yesturday I will give it to you right from the book. The address side of the building is DIVISION A. It is now manditory that you adopt and train all personel in NIMS, if you want federal money, so that should help clear up confusion on the subject.
    Reality shall be changed in order to meet NIMS requirements and to accept Fed bucks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SeavilleFire
    Exactly. Why make this a discussion? It is standard in the fire service the address side is side "A" and if that can't be, or isn't easily determined then the IC says what is side "A". Simple as that.

I am with FFTrainer 100%. There is no "set way" and we can use our brains instead of following what a book or SOP says to do.

Exactly, I cant see this as a big deal on a typical structure, usually the IC sets up facing the A side. If you have an odd shaped structure (the Pentagon perhaps) then add a couple more letters as needed, nobody says you can only have an A,B,C,D. On wildland fires its not unusual to have divisions A through X, Y or Z, and instead of easily declared sides you get directions like your division starts at that pump house and ends near that funky tree. If you don't understand ask the IC, OPS or your DIVS (as appropriate) where they want you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dadman
    Reality shall be changed in order to meet NIMS requirements and to accept Fed bucks.

The system works well, but it has to be used on all incidents and in drills so when you really need it it is second nature. I think many people take it too seriously, there is nothing about ICS that says you can't use common sense or adjust to make the operation fit. If you want a pumper with at least 1000 gpm and 500 gallons, orer a type 1, but if you want a 1500 gpm pumper with 2000 gallons and a telesquirt ask for one.

Those of you out there strugling with this NIMS stuff don't worry about it eventually it makes sense and even FEMA had trouble with it during Katrina, CDF and the USFS ended up doing some field classes for the FEMA people.

Forum Member

Default A new twist to this question

Hi! We use the ADDRESS SIDE as the Alpha Side, etc. My question is this: We had a garage fire the other night, and I had no idea which was the Alpha Side! Usually, the "front" of a garage is the side that has the overhead door. The garage was directly behind the Charlie Side of the house. Can you all picture what I'm talking about? How would the sides of the garage be identified?

Forum Member

Street side is usually the A or Alpha side. Does not matter where the garage door is.

If you are talking a detached garage then the side closest to the street would be side A or Alpha.

Or it's whatever side the IC says is A or Alpha.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12 View Post
    I think this is one of those things coming down from FEMA and NIMS
    It's the same as what came down from NFA 20 years ago as NFA Model ICS...

For the A side just use the side of the house that looks like the front and if it's confusing make sure everyone on the scene knows which side is the a side
    Yup.

If a building has more than 4 walls add a few letters for example the pentagon would have side A,B,C,D, and E
    Erm... No. Stick with ABCD unless you want to confuse the hell out of people. If it can't be readily described the standard way, describe it clearly in plain English.

Corners of buildings should be call by the sides that meet at that corner. Where side A and side D meet on a four sided house that would be the A-D corner.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Back In Black

I was taught the "Alpha" side was where command was either located or where Command indicates.

'Car 1 on scene...blah blah blah... Alpha side is the Main Street side".
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

As Leo Stapleton said keep it simple stupid front,back,left and right how hard is that?

Thread Information