Forum Member

Default Level 1 Training

I am trying very hard at my VT Firefighting level 1 class, I feel like giving up and i dont know what to do can someone help me? advice or anything would help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lfdp44
    I am trying very hard at my VT Firefighting level 1 class, I feel like giving up and i dont know what to do can someone help me? advice or anything would help.
    Where are you having a problem? Is it in the academics, or in the physical ability?

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Default Level 1

The physical portion

Forum Member

Are you having trouble with the strength aspect, or is it something else?

I need a few more details before I can give any real advice.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

The strength part of it, i am a big guy but it seems like it is always a chore to lift ground ladders and things like that. Being big is hard because i have the Draeger confined spaces trailer this weekend and i am a little worried about fitting through the confined spaces it gives you.

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

Jim,

Don't give up man. There IS and ALWAYS will be a place for everyone in the fire service. From small to big, young to old, there is a job for everyone.

Good luck and God Speed!

-
    Jason Spangler
    Training Officer
    Lawrence Township Fire Dept.
    Lawrence, MI

Forum Member

The strength part of it, i am a big guy but it seems like it is always a chore to lift ground ladders and things like that. Being big is hard because i have the Draeger confined spaces trailer this weekend and i am a little worried about fitting through the confined spaces it gives you.
    Jim

The trailer is designed to see how well you cope with dark, confined and unusual spaces and obstacles. There will be some very tight areas that require you to use your head. Take your time. If an area is too small for you to fit through with your pack on, remove it (harness and tank only) and push it ahead of you.
    When you reach a more open area, re-don it. Don't panic and don't quit. A calm head and determination will get you through it.

Ground ladders are heavy. You will have to master raising and lowering them. Use your size to your advantage. Leverage is your friend! PRACTICE!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I just posted about Level 1, then noticed this. I found out last night that I need to have it and I am also worried about the physical aspect as well.

I feel like I haven't been given much notice to prepare.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

I think you can never have to much training and unlike a medical cert your dept. can't hold you back if you have a high FF certification (ie-they require FF1 but you get FF2). And like 4949 said Practice always helps even after you get certified it never hurts to practice.

Forum Member

Yeah, I'm all for training and think that getting my Level 1 will be great. I am just so stressed about passing.

Everyone else in the dept. has pretty much been in since it started (1990), but anyway, they often forget I am very new. It is also a small department and sometimes when training is planned, not enough people show up and it's put aside.
    2005 Pontiac Wave 5 Hatch
    Pontiac... built for drivers

Forum Member

Default Draeger Trailer

I have the Draeger trailer tommorow at 07:00
    wish me luck

Forum Member

Best of luck! Trust yourself and remember to control your breathing.
    FFZKLH

MembersZone Subscriber

I just finished both my FF I & II class about a month ago. I am a pretty small guy and to be honest I am weak as hell. I had a LOT of trouble with ladders. I even went so far as I dropped a brand new 24' extension ladder and bent it to the point that it was O.O.S. for good. They had to order a new ladder that was $700. After the embarassment of that I practiced like hell and found that it doesnt matter how strong you are but the tecnique that you use. I passed the second time with no problems because I had my tecnique down good. Practice as much as you can and dont give up.

Forum Member

I have the Draeger trailer tommorow at 07:00
    wish me luck
    so lfdp44 how did the Draeger trailer go??

Forum Member

Default Results from Draeger trailer

not as well as i planned, i got to the tube at the end and lost my composure. I had no problems without an SCBA on, when i was wearing SCBA it was much harder and i panicked easier, any thoughts on that.

Forum Member

it happens if it's your first time in a pack it was probably from feeling closed in if that makes sense. I remember the first time I went through a trailer in my county I made it almost to the end whenever my low air alarm went off so I had to come out. Get use to wearing it then try it again and things should go smoother.

Forum Member

The first time I went through our trailer I was quite "anxious" shall we say. Time after that though, It go better for me. Third time I was paired with a young lady that totally freeked out and I basically talked her through the whole trailer. It all depends on how much you want to do it I guess.

Forum Member

hey dude dont give up talk to your VT fire Instructor privately tell them about the problem your having, whats your instructors name if you dont mind, hers my email address if you would want to tell me that way,I personally know several VT instructors and 2 are on my department, stay tuff once you get through it you will love it.

On our department we have guys who are (closter phobic?) so they run the trucks, Guess what if we dont have water we cant fight fire, the guy running the truck is one of the most important people on scene

Poultney Fire Department
    1st LT Johnson
    pfdfiredog18@yahoo.com

Thread Information