MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Do You Over-schedule?

I had a workmate who used to claim that her 3yo had a busier calender than both Mom and Dad put together. That was 12 years ago.

Experts Say Many Of Today's Children Are Overscheduled
    Overscheduled Children At Risk Of Burning Out

POSTED: 6:33 pm EST January 23, 2006
    UPDATED: 11:09 am EST January 24, 2006

ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- Children these days have so much to do, they barely have time to be children, and while parents want their children to get into the best schools, many experts say this kind of overscheduling is unhealthy.

From the moment her mother picks her up from school, 8-year-old Katie Henshaw is on the go. The first stop is home in Alexandria, where Katie grabs a quick snack and changes into her Tae Kwon Do uniform. Then it's off to Master Yang's for an hour of punching, blocking, kicking and jumping.

"I like the way you test for higher belts and you get more skills," Katie said.

When Katie gets home from Tae Kwon Do, her speech tutor is waiting for her. That lasts for an hour as well.

Today At Noon: Live Web Chat With Dr. Jay Salpekar

After dinner, Katie practices piano with her dad for half an hour, and then it's homework time.

Many child experts believe children who have schedules like Katie's are exhausted.

"I think that the culture in the United States is to push people until they drop, and now we're doing it to our children," said Dr. Alvin Rosenfeld, a leading expert on overscheduled children.

According to Rosenfeld, in the past 20 years, unstructured children's activities have gone down 50 percent, family dinners have declined 33 percent and family vacations are down 28 percent.

"Kids get burned out," Rosenfeld said. "The last thing you want to do is to have someone going into high school who is sick and tired of doing so much that they're tiring academically."

Experts also believe overscheduled kids suffer physically as well emotionally because their workload stresses them out but they don't want to disappoint their parents.

"We see more stomach aches and kids get all kids of fancy work ups to see if they have an ulcer," Rosenfeld said.

But Katie said she has a handle on her schedule.

"I'm really good at math and I'm really good at it all," she said. "So I just do it every time at night and I'm done in a flash."

Katie's mom makes sure her daughter gets plenty of playtime and family time. Ann Henshaw said the key is to know your kids.

"As I stay at home, I know my kids well," she said. "I know their moods. I know sort of what makes them tick. So if there's a day when they're not up for something, we don't do it. But generally for Katie, she's ready to go."

Katie is a second-grader with boundless energy who thrives on activity and seeing her friends. But she is the exception, not the rule.

"I'm looking forward to the next day," she said. "I'm like, 'What am I going to have tomorrow? How exciting is it going to be?' It's pretty fun."

If you have questions about the number of activities your child is involved in, visit NBC4.com Tuesday at noon for an online chat. Dr. Jay Salpekar will be available to answer questions.

Copyright 2006 by nbc4.com.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Sounds like the life of the typical affluent suburban kid of the last 30 years, nothing new, just creeping into the rest of the middle class life and suburbs......
    Let's see, second grade I had school, then horseback lessons, swimming, soccer, basketball, church choir, reading days at the library, art days at the community center, then in third grade added the Tae Kwon Do and Lacrosse.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

At that age, the calendar consisted of "when's Christmas/birthday/summer holidays?" It wasn't till I hit 13 and joined Air Cadets, that my calendar started to include something "organized".
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I think one, maybe two activities is enough for kids. When I was growing up it was piano and baseball. When I got bored with baseball I switched to soccer. That was it. The rest of my time was mine, so I could be a kid. Ive done the same with my children.

My problem isnt the activities, its getting the kids outside to play. The either want to be on the computer, playing video games or watching TV. Funny, when I was a kid, my mom couldnt get me to come inside.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

The reasons kids have such busy schedules is the parents do not want to parent. They prefer to let strangers care for their kids until bedtime.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    The reasons kids have such busy schedules is the parents do not want to parent. They prefer to let strangers care for their kids until bedtime.
    That is a very good point Capt.

With Tae Kwon Do, Speech, Piano, and Homework all in one day after school, there is no way that child is in bed at a decent hour. I would limit my child to only one activity after school, and if one were academic, that would reign over the rest.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I think your on to something there. We had a sleep over about two weeks ago. house full of 5 yo boys that was hell. One little boy asked me why my wife and I where playing with them. He said my daddy never plays with us and mommy is going to later.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Or they truely believe that they are giving the kids as many advantages in life that they can. Unless they can afford a driver for the little rug rats, they are spending a ton of time together in the class going from one activity to the next.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Or they truely believe that they are giving the kids as many advantages in life that they can.

Unfortunately, most of these parents have mixed up "keeping up with the Jones" for "truly believing they are giving the kids as many advantages in life"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Or they truely believe that they are giving the kids as many advantages in life that they can.

Unfortunately, most of these parents have mixed up "keeping up with the Jones" for "truly believing they are giving the kids as many advantages in life"
    I have to disagree on the view of the motivation. It might be keeping up with the "keeping up with the Jones", but only because that is what is required for the kids to compete in the world. It is not a vanity thing of saying my kid does this this and this at PTA meetings ot cocktail parties, it is more that the kids need to have these experiances and activities to be able to take part in discussions at school and compete in the competition to get into the next level of quality schools.

Is getting training and degrees to compete for promotions keeping up with the Joneses? If the guy you are competeing with for that Capt. or BC position has a BS when you only have an AA, or he has twenty certificates and you only have 19, would taking the class on installing car seats and the one on ICS be keeping up with the FF Joneses?

As long as the parents are making sure that the kids are still taking part in a good ration of things they enjoy vs things they need to learn about and might not enjoy, along with making sure they are being social at the activities and making friends, I see no problem in a heavy schedule. Most are fun activities, and for the rest, once they are past age eight it is time to start learning that some things in life you have to do even if you don't enjoy them.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Because the whole concept of "best schools" is in and of itself keeping up with the Jones.

They don't help much if at all.

You're either going to have people who build a sucess built on their own ambition and abilities, and that's the type of success that doesn't fail often.

Or you'll build success based on who you know, and if that's the base, it's a weak foundation.

The "elite" schools might give you some better friends; they don't provide an overwhelming advantage against similiarily ambitous people. Yeah, you don't want the poorest of the schools...but you certainly don't need vanity schools either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmatian190
    Then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Because the whole concept of "best schools" is in and of itself keeping up with the Jones.

They don't help much if at all.

You're either going to have people who build a sucess built on their own ambition and abilities, and that's the type of success that doesn't fail often.

Or you'll build success based on who you know, and if that's the base, it's a weak foundation.

The "elite" schools might give you some better friends; they don't provide an overwhelming advantage against similiarily ambitous people. Yeah, you don't want the poorest of the schools...but you certainly don't need vanity schools either.
    In a few blessed folks ambition and ability are God-given natural ability, nothing is going to take it away, and nothing is going to add to it. BUT for the rest of us in the bottom 99% of the population, ability is due to education and training, and ambition is and drive comes from our raising. That is where the good schools and the experaince of life's activities come into play. Good schools do not have good names based on nothing, they have good names based on previous results that are indicators of future performance.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber

Having my first child on the way and due in March, this is a unique perspective for me. While I do want my child to excell in everything she does, I still want her to [COLOR=RoyalBlue]want{/color] to do the activities. I sucked at piano & hated it, I preferred to play baseball. While I prefer her to be athletic in nature ( softball, volleyball, etc) if she prefers the "arts" then she will be allowed to pursue those activities.

Oh, and there will not be any of the fancy video games around to distract her ( at least not at my house) unless she becomes a computer genius and builds her own, that I could live with
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

MembersZone Subscriber

When I was a kid it was hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer, the rest of the time it was running around with friends. Like Dave1983 said my Mom couldn't get me to come inside either. Winter or summer.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Yeah.................

First, I ABSOLUTELY agree with Capt. Gonzo.

Second, Dave1983's post sums it up for me. I was, and still am, an outdoor kid. And that's the way the kids grew up, and I'm working on making sure the grandkids do the same. When I was a kid, the only thing you could buy that used batteries was a Flashlight. We played outside, did things ourselves, and learned some of life's lessons that way. When I was 14 or 15, we built a 100 ft.+ Suspension Bridge over a Creek near the farm. 4 of us found all the material that we needed, one way or another, and spent several weeks constructing the the thing. Critics said we couldn't do it, then when we did it, they said it wouldn't last. They were right, it didn't last, it vanished in a flood in 1994. (We built it in 1955, it outlasted one of the 4 of us.) If you want to hear some interesting comments, ask any kid over 12, "What would you do if electricity, including batteries, ceased to exist as of tomorrow morning at 9 am??"
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    If you want to hear some interesting comments, ask any kid over 12, "What would you do if electricity, including batteries, ceased to exist as of tomorrow morning at 9 am??"
    easy. I'd sleep late
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    If you want to hear some interesting comments, ask any kid over 12, "What would you do if electricity, including batteries, ceased to exist as of tomorrow morning at 9 am??"
    I bet it has something to do with will my gameboy, playstation, xbox, psp, ipod, mp3 player, computer, cell phone, still work.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Thread Information