MembersZone Subscriber

Default Massachusetts Statewide Exam 2006

Below is information for the upcoming state of Massachusetts fire that will given June 10th, 2006

www.fireprep.com will be offering an exam prep package for this exam.

http://www.mass.gov/portal/site/mass...ation&sid=Ehrd

MASSACHUSETTS HUMAN RESOURCES DIVISION
    OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 8012
    FIREFIGHTER
    MUNICIPAL SERVICE

Examination Date: June 10, 2006 Application Deadline: April 24, 2006*
    Examination Fee $75
    Apply on-line with Visa or Mastercard at: www.mass.gov/civilservice
    *Please note: There will be an additional $25 dollar processing fee for applications received after this date. Applications will not be accepted after May 15, 2006.

DUTIES: Firefighters often perform risky and physically demanding duties under emergency conditions. Firefighters work under supervision, often as a member of a team, to respond to fire and other emergencies. Firefighter duties may include, for example: connecting, pulling and operating hose lines; operating a pump; positioning and climbing ladders; emergency rescue and lifesaving; ventilating smoke-filled areas; using and maintaining tools and equipment; training; and fire station activities. For a more detailed listing of duties, see the essential functions of a Massachusetts Firefighter.

SALARY: Each jurisdiction sets its own salary for Firefighter positions. Questions about salary should be directed to the appropriate city or town.
    MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS

AGE REQUIREMENT: As of the printing of this notice, you must be at least age 19 as of May 15, 2006, to take the examination.

You must also be younger than age 32 as of May 15, 2006, to be appointed as a Firefighter in the following civil service municipalities: Acushnet, Arlington, Bedford, Billerica, Burlington, Canton, Chelmsford, Dracut, Easthampton, Easton, Hanover, Haverhill, Hingham, Hudson, Ipswich, Leominster, Malden, Mansfield, Marblehead, Methuen, Milford, Newton, North Andover, North Attleboro, Norton, Norwood, Stoneham, Ware, Watertown, Wellesley, Westfield, West Springfield, and Wilmington.

You must be younger than age 32 as of June 10, 2006, to be appointed as a Firefighter in the following civil service municipalities: Andover, Belmont, Boston, Bourne, Dedham, Falmouth, Fitchburg, Holbrook, Natick, Shrewsbury, Swampscott, Taunton, Westwood, Winchester, Worcester, and Wrentham. Check our website for the most current listing

There is no upper age limit for appointment in the following civil service municipalities: Abington, Agawam, Amesbury, Athol, Attleboro, Beverly, Brockton, Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea, Chicopee, Clinton, Cohasset, Danvers, Everett, Fairhaven, Fall River, Framingham, Franklin, Gardner, Gloucester, Greenfield, Holyoke, Hopedale, Hull, Lawrence, Lowell, Ludlow, Lynn, Marlborough, Marshfield, Medford, Melrose, Milton, Nahant, Needham, New Bedford, Newburyport, North Adams, North Reading, Peabody, Pittsfield, Plainville, Plymouth, Quincy, Randolph, Reading, Revere, Rockland, Salem, Saugus, Scituate, Somerville, Springfield, Stoughton, Tewksbury, Wakefield, Waltham, Weymouth, Whitman, Winthrop, and Woburn. In these communities, as current law requires, candidates will have to meet physical fitness and medical standards and once hired, will be tested regularly during their employment to be sure that they meet certain medical and physical fitness standards. Copies of the medical standards are available for review at the Human Resources Division (HRD) website, under the Medical and Physical Standards section. Any questions about status changes should be directed to the communities in question.

Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com or www.firemanemtparamedic.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Jobs/Careers Article section on the drop down menu to the LEFT of this posting.
    Good luck !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow, this sounds interesting. Does anyone know what the average hiring process is in MA after the written test? I'd assume theirs a pat, a medical, and a background check, do a lot of departments in MA use polygraph tests?

Forum Member

The Mass. test is a good one, alot of really good departments to pick from. It's kind of like New Jersey though, if you dont live there it is exrtemely tough to get a job. I took the test in '02 scored in the high 90's and was not even close to getting a job because I didn't have residency or veterans points. It is very tough for someone out of state to get a job there.Boston for example put on a class of 34 all had veterans and residency, some say that is pretty normal for each academy. Hope this helps, PM me if you have any questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Do you know what preference points are given for having fire department experience and for having your EMT-B. What are the requirements for fire department experience? How many people normally test?

Forum Member

I dont remember what the points were for fire experience or E.M.T. I was a new E.M.T at the time and had very little fire experience so I'm not too sure. I do remember filling out a form at the written site where you could put down what you had to see if you qualify for points. Off the top of my head I can't think of an exact number of how many people took the test, I do know it was a lot of people though. It is a state wide test, so you are going to get people that want to work all over. When I took it you got to put down the top three departments you would accept an offer from, everybody and their mother of course put down Boston and all the other bigger departments. If you dont mind working for a smaller department then it might not be as bad, but then again people from those smaller towns that have residency will get the job before you do. Hope this helps, good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea I know what your saying, I would hope that firefighting experience and EMT points would get me up to the same rank as people who have residency.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have been trying to get on city of New Bedford for the past 10 years. I am a resident and I have always scored around 98 and I have had only 1 interview. LLast May I went to the medical and pat exam and passed everything but was there as the 1st alternate. What has hurt me as Massachusetts will place a veteran who passed with a 70 or higher above the person who scored a 100. It has killed my chances. I am hoping I get one last chance off of the current list this year as a new list will be set up at the end of this year. Like prior posts the towns that are full-time large departments have long lists if your not a resident and there has not been alot of hiring. That is the bad part of giving the test every 2 years they just don't hire enough.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow thanks for the heads up, I dont think i'm gonna make the trip from MN to MA, I gotta pick and choose my battles. I'm interested in hearing anything else you guys have to say about tis test.

MembersZone Subscriber

To further break this process down for you, here it goes. The test is offered every two years usually in late spring, you get your results sometime in early September. The list lasts two years from when it is posted(when you get your resluts). It consists of 100 multiple choice "common sense" questions. The first 10 questions of the test come from a picture of a fire scene that you are given. You must look at the picture for five minutes, then they take the picture away for five minutes, then you get to start the test. Basically it is a memory exercise. The next ninety questions consist of looking at a house, and determining what it would look like from behind, looking at a map and determining the fastest driving route, and reading a passage and putting events in sequential order. Questions of that nature. Last time I checked there were 114 departments that you can choose from for the exam. Unfortunatly, you can only choose 4. Of those four, if you were a resident in one of those 114 cities/towns for the previous year, you may claim residency preference. The exam results are broken down into six different tiers. They are as follows:
    1. Resident veteran disabled
    2. Resident veteran
    3. Resident
    4. Non resident veteran disabled
    5. Non resident veteran
    6. Non resident
    The way that the civil service exam works is that you need a minimum score of 70% to pass, and whichever tier that you fall into, you are ranked by your score. So a resident veteran diabled with a score of 70%, is ranked higher than a resident veteran who scored a 100%, and so on down the line. You are given points for previous experience. I believe for every year of experience you are given .25 of a point. You need a letter from your Chief on Department letterhead outlining your experience. You can also be put on a special list if you have a paramedic license. This list allows departments to hire a paramedic, regardless of what tier that they are in. Also, if you are a paramedic, you can be selected by any department that hires paramedics. You aren't just limited to the 4 communities that you select. Like people have said in the posts before mine, if you don't have residency, it is very tough. Even if you do have residency, it is very tough. I had residency, took the test 3 times, got a 100 all three times, and never got an opportunity to be hired because my hometown department was hiring medics, and I got skipped over 15 times so that they could hire medics. On the other hand, my friend became a paramedic about two weeks ago. He changed his status on the list to paramedic, and got three interview cards in the first week. Not to be disouraging, but your best shot is to get your paramedic license. Best of luck to you all, hope that I was of some help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Everybody,
    I just moved from MA last year to FL just to get hired. Getting hired in MA and especially Boston is close to impossible. I got hired here just 3 months out of fire school, I have friends up in MA that waited years, some are still waiting. Ive heard some departments up there are actually laying people off due to budget problems. It has to be one of the toughest places in the country to get hired, I sent an email to a chief in one of the Boston suburbs just asking about hiring info and he basically laughed and told me to f--- off.
    If you have relatives on the dept. that would help also. MA is a funny state, alot of politics. Good luck!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Beverly Mass

I know the Beverly mass had suffered from budget cuts and as a result has stopped staffing one of thier ladders. In fact there are signs in front of the stations with a ladder truck in a circle with a line through it and reads "Got Coverage?"
    I think the situation is very similar in many other towns as well.
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Thread Information