MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another Cop Grab

2 NJSP and a civilian make a couple of great grabs.

Fire wrecks Andover Inn
    Residents upset historic building may be lost

BY ROB JENNINGS
    DAILY RECORD

ANDOVER -- Up to 11 people escaped a fire that heavily damaged a 150-year-old inn early Tuesday morning, police said -- including three or four tenants who jumped from a first-story roof and were caught by a state trooper.

There were no serious injuries in the quick-moving blaze at the historic Andover Inn on Route 206, where two floors of apartment residences were atop a restaurant -- the Iron Mine Grill and Tavern -- that opened in November.

The blaze was called in at 12:25 a.m. Tuesday and it took 70 firefighters until 3 a.m. to put it out, Fire Chief Dennis Walker said. A cause of the fire had not been determined Tuesday, state police spokeswoman Jeanne Hengemuhle said.

Credit for evacuating the tenants was given to two on-duty state troopers Christopher Mills and Brian Kearns. They happened to be nearby, responding to a domestic argument, when they heard alarms and raced to the scene.

"We saw the front door open and somebody came out. That was my first indication that it might not be the last person," Kearns, 27, recalled on Tuesday.

Mills and Kearns said they dashed inside the burning building, went upstairs to the second floor and guided several tenants that were reluctant to leave to the exit. Next, they pulled a disabled man from a fire escape above the first floor.

Mills -- who stands 6-feet, 2-inches tall and weighs 180 pounds -- said that he caught three or four people he convinced to jump from the restaurant's roof, maybe 10 feet above the ground.

"The first was nearly 200 pounds. He nearly broke my nose," said Mills, 24, who was treated for mild smoke inhalation at Newton Memorial Hospital.

Walker said that firefighters arrived just as the troopers were aiding the last of the escaping tenants.

"They did one heck of a job," Walker said of the troopers.

Local residents were saddened by the possible loss of Andover's signature structure, a centerpiece in the borough's small business district on the highway. The Andover Inn opened as a hotel in 1856 and recently underwent extensive renovations.

"When you see the Andover Inn, you think of Andover Borough," said Mayor Shirlee M. Bollard, who attended a ribbon-cutting for the Iron Mine Grill and Tavern last fall.

'Heavy damage'

Walker said the building sustained "some heavy damage" in the fire and wasn't sure whether it might be salvaged.

Bollard said the restaurant and building are owned by Jeff and Jennifer Luisi and Joe and Nancy Henriquez. Both couples could not be reached Tuesday.

Deana Patton, president of the Andover Borough Historical Society, said she was "sickened" by the extent of the damage.

"They poured water into that thing for over four hours ... imagine a three-story building with water going down through the floors," she said.

Opened in 1856 by William Iliff, the Andover Inn was transformed into a so-called temperance hotel, defined by an absence of alcohol, sometime in the late 19th Century, Patton said.

Patton said that during the heyday of Andover's 800-seat Grist Mill Playhouse, which closed in 1971, the Andover Inn was visited by luminaries such as actors Harry Morgan of "MASH" fame and Carol Channing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another, better article.
    Troopers, shop owner save residents
    Fire leaves Andover Borough landmark gutted
    Wednesday, January 25, 2006
    BY JIM LOCKWOOD
    Star-Ledger Staff
    The Andover Inn, a 150-year-old mainstay of Route 206 in Andover Borough, was destroyed early yesterday in a fast-moving fire that threatened the lives of 11 upstairs tenants and prompted a daring rescue, authorities said.

In a few frenzied minutes after the fire started, State Police troopers Christopher Mills, 24, and Brian Kearns, 27, and antique-shop owner James Farrell rescued two men trapped by flames on a fire escape.

Once those residents were brought safely off the side of the building, the three men heard screams and raced around to the back of the building, where they caught in their arms three other residents who jumped off a one-story flat roof at the rear of the burning structure.

Farrell praised the troopers for the heroic efforts, and the troopers praised the antiques dealer, who lives in Boonton.

"Trooper Mills and I both knew what our job entailed when we signed on" as police officers, Kearns said. "That James fellow, he didn't sign on for anything. He was right there with us, he had no obligation to anyone. He did a good job, a real good job. "

No one was seriously hurt, though some residents were treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation, police said. Mills and Farrell also were treated at Newton Memorial Hospital for smoke inhalation and released.

The troopers happened to be in Andover Borough at the time of the fire, 12:25 a.m., investigating an unrelated argument at a Main Street (Route 206) residence, when they heard a fire alarm and screams coming from the Andover Inn across the street.

The officers saw flames and smoke coming from the inn and immediately ran into the burning building to try to rescue tenants in second- and third-floor rooms.

Farrell, 42, who opened the Rusted Rooster antique store across from the Andover Inn only three weeks ago, happened to be working late at his shop when he heard the fire alarm and saw a rear window of the inn shatter and smoke pour out. He ran over to help.

Kearns and Mills went in through the front door and ran upstairs to the smoky, fiery second floor and found four tenants who had not yet fled because they were worried about leaving possessions behind.

"We had to forcibly get them to leave," Mills said. "We asked if there was anyone else in the building, and you could hear people screaming from the fire escape."

But flames prevented the troopers from reaching the fire escape from inside. So, they ran back downstairs and around the building, where two men were trapped on a fire escape between the second and third floors.

The bottom of the fire escape was a vertical ladder some 15 feet long. Flames shooting out of a nearby window and panic of the moment trapped one man, who had a wooden leg. The other man was higher up on the narrow catwalk and could not get around the first man.

"The fire was pushing him (the first man) higher and higher" up the fire escape," Farrell said. "It was starting to get serious because fire was coming out of the other (top) doors. They were stuck between two fireballs."

"It was kind of like a 'point of no return,'" Kearns said.

Mills climbed up the ladder and rushed past the flames toward the men. However, the man lower down on the ladder, who had no shirt and was getting singed from the heat, "was panic-stricken" and fought and struggled with Mills.

"I told him you have to trust me, I'll get you through this," Mills recalled. "I was yelling at him, you just have to trust me."

Mills, who stands 6 feet 2 inches and weighs some 170 pounds, grabbed hold of the man with one arm and started carrying him down the ladder, and in a sort of an impromptu "assembly line," Farrell climbed up part way to help carry and lower the man to Kearns, who was at the bottom.

All safely on the ground, the officers and Farrell then heard screams at the rear of the building, where two men and a woman were trapped atop a one-story-high flat roof. They told the tenants to jump, and caught them in their arms, one-by-one, to break the falls.

"By the time we got around to the other side, the building was engulfed. I was stunned by how fast the fire moved," Farrell said.

Sussex County Assistant Fire Marshal Joe Inga said the fire spread quickly due to the three-story wooden building's antiquated "balloon-frame" construction, which does not have firestops between the floors. This type of construction is no longer allowed under modern building codes, Inga said.

Farrell said of the troopers' actions: "I'm impressed ... I'm just glad they were around. I was kind of honored to get to know these guys for four minutes."

State Police spokeswoman Jeanne Hengemuhle said, "These troopers are heroes. They did the job that they knew they had to do."

Kearns said, "All in a day's work. It's nothing that any other trooper wouldn't have done. I don't see it as anything out of the ordinary."

Instead, Kearns credited both Farrell and a tenant who "first heard the alarm, woke everybody up and got them started moving toward the fire exits."

The 11 evacuated residents were being temporarily housed last night by the American Red Cross in a nearby motel.

The inn, established in 1856, has changed hands many times over the years. It was recently renovated by new owner, Jeff Luisi of Landing, who bought the inn two years ago in a foreclosure.

Luisi spent much of the past two years fixing the inn and renovating a restaurant on the first floor. That eatery, the Iron Mine Grill & Tavern, which opened on Nov. 19, was a tribute to the town's mining history and was adorned with historical photos.

Luisi said he heard the fire was ignited by a second-floor tenant who either fell asleep with a cigarette or was playing with a lighter. Hengemuhle said she didn't know the cause of the fire, but it appears to have been accidental.

Luisi said authorities told him the building was damaged beyond repair and will have to be razed. The roof is gone and the third floor collapsed onto the second floor, which also was giving way.

"I've been working on this for two years now, around the clock," a distraught Luisi said. "I've had my life into it. Now it's gone."

Forum Member

I bet they didn't have SCBA or proper NIMS training. They had no buisness doing that.!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

In my eyes who cares, they were on the outside doing what they could to help. Now if they go inside........different scenario.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    Kearns and Mills went in through the front door and ran upstairs to the smoky, fiery second floor and found four tenants who had not yet fled because they were worried about leaving possessions behind.
    Looks like they did go inside. I can't criticize though. I probably would have done the same thing if I were in their situtation.

They should have laid in from the hydrant though...

Forum Member

A "tip of the leather" to Troopers Kearns and Mills.. nice work!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    In my eyes who cares, they were on the outside doing what they could to help. Now if they go inside........different scenario.
    BS. They should have been up the road blocking traffic instead of taking away from the fire department's job. In fact, I think the fire department's Union has a case for a law suit here. You can't give away union work to someone not in the union. Those cops took work away from the firefighers! SCABS!!!! If it is a volunteer department, obviously it should be a career department and by god, those trucks had better not be yellow!!!!!

Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

To bad its an all volly area . I should know I was there as the mutual aid FAST team. The Borough of Andover has only about 600 Residents and a small VFD so paid seems out of the question . Of course I know you are messing around and I am just messen' back with you. Was a good fire though. Wish, though, they would have given my guys a shot at it when we arrived. They had just went exterior defensive as we got on scene. My personal opinion if we had 2-3 good lines with aggressive crews and 5-10 minutes we had a good chance to get it. But then this may just be some Monday morning quarterbacking on my part. Most important thing is no one was hurt!!! So in that regards it was sucessful.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire
    BS. They should have been up the road blocking traffic instead of taking away from the fire department's job. In fact, I think the fire department's Union has a case for a law suit here. You can't give away union work to someone not in the union. Those cops took work away from the firefighers! SCABS!!!! If it is a volunteer department, obviously it should be a career department and by god, those trucks had better not be yellow!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah. And I think they had GUNS with them when they went in.

Forum Member

Yeah. And I think they had GUNS with them when they went in.
    and you forgot to add with bullets, too!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    More than one even!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is quite enough, young man! No Recess for you.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Nice try at stirring the pot george: I ain't buying in.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

More than one even!
    Which means they were NOT funded or mandated by the United Nations!

However I do have reservations about folks (no matter who they are) going into burning environments without appropriate PPE, but I know that I'll get the "Risk A Lot To Save A Lot" lecture. But Good Save Guys. Just glad all is well and no serious/critical injuries.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by wag11c
    George isn't "stirring the pot".. as a matter of fact, NM's posts aren't either...

What you are witnessing is sarcasm at it's best!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Mills -- who stands 6-feet, 2-inches tall and weighs 180 pounds -- said that he caught three or four people he convinced to jump from the restaurant's roof, maybe 10 feet above the ground.

"The first was nearly 200 pounds. He nearly broke my nose," said Mills, 24, who was treated for mild smoke inhalation at Newton Memorial Hospital.

That is the part I find incredible ! These guys went above & beyond. They didnt HAVE to but they did.

I would also like to tip the leather to them, but I must suffice with my 1010 ( i'll have a leather someday!)
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pvfire424
    That is the part I find incredible ! These guys went above & beyond. They didnt HAVE to but they did.

I would also like to tip the leather to them, but I must suffice with my 1010 ( i'll have a leather someday!)
    That would a "tip of the PLEATHER!"
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

We give our cops a choice, a gun or bullets. Can't trust them with both.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    We give our cops a choice, a gun or bullets. Can't trust them with both.
    Is that why all the donuts have holes in them??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer
    Is that why all the donuts have holes in them??
    Easy bro. You have to drive in Morris County.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wag11c
    Wow! You sure are a smart one! You caught me!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Which means they were NOT funded or mandated by the United Nations!

However I do have reservations about folks (no matter who they are) going into burning environments without appropriate PPE, but I know that I'll get the "Risk A Lot To Save A Lot" lecture. But Good Save Guys. Just glad all is well and no serious/critical injuries.
    The first alarm for this fire came in as an AFA. These troops were across the street on a domestic and actually reported the working fire. Even the best Vol. FD is at least 10 minutes from the scene after the alarm is reported (when you take into consideration telephone time, reaction time, dispatch time, travel time, response time and set up time).

When you look at it that way, there is no question that these guys saved lives.

BTW, I am equally impressed by the civilian.

Forum Member

Easy bro. You have to drive in Morris County.
    Sitting on 80 in traffic does not constitute driving!

Forum Member

I guess we shouldn't ask George for a PBA card, eh?
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    To bad its an all volly area . I should know I was there as the mutual aid FAST team. The Borough of Andover has only about 600 Residents and a small VFD so paid seems out of the question .
    Wow, sounds like the officers did a really nice job...I will also give a tip o' the helmet to 'em. Cirrus, which department are you with? My wife is from Sussex County, and as a matter of fact we were married in Lafayette's Fire Hall 2 years ago this month.

Thread Information