Thread: Smoke Detectors

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Smoke Detectors

Was wondering anyone knew of grants to provide smoke detectors to lower income and target age groups come from a smaller town so there is no big Walmart or Lowes to get donated items or funds thanks for any help
    Last edited by fireman640nmfd; 01-25-2006 at 10:15 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

I would think the Fire Prevention Grants, of course the application period isn't until the fall.

Maybe try targeting the makers of the smoke detectors to see if they'll donate something?

State grants?
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman640nmfd
    Was wondering anyone knew of grants to provide smoke detectors to lower income and target age groups come from a smaller town so there is no big Walmart or Lowes to get donated items or funds thanks for any help
    Contact the NEAREST Walmart. They don't discriminate against you because they are not in your town. They know your residents are driving to their store. Same for every other big retailer I think. They know their trade area is X miles in diameter.

Our nearest Walmart is 20mi away, rcvd $1500 last time applied for some $. About time to hit them again, they like to spread around what they have available so I only apply every 2 or 3 years.

Forum Member

NEIOWA,
    What did you use the money from Walmart for? Was it for smoke detectors?

MembersZone Subscriber

Guys use the Fire Prevention Grant, it is far better and you can actually make a difference. There were only 3000 applications for it this year. One of my clients will be announced tomorrow for 4600 detectors in a countywide project.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Use Wal-Mart for something you can't get another grant for at all! That is the smart move. These are rountinely funded in FP&S so it makes no sense to use Wal-Mart. Use their money to get what the grants from DHS will not fund, that is the ticket! Besides, don't ask Wal-Mart for a check, you only get a limited amount. Ask them for merchandise and then raffle it off, you will increase your dollar return by 2-3 times what you would have recieved in cash and Wal-Mart would rather do it that way since they get to write off the full retail value and they only have their cost invested. Be smart!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    Guys use the Fire Prevention Grant, it is far better and you can actually make a difference. There were only 3000 applications for it this year. One of my clients will be announced tomorrow for 4600 detectors in a countywide project.

And as promised Arnett Engine Company of Texas was announced this morning for $86K for their smoke detector program. Shows exactly what a little bit of work can bring to your agency. A very good program, well thought out, well planned and a good but simple needs assessment and this department is in the money, with "zero" matching dollar requirements!
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information