Thread: Another video

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Another video

Before you hit play you might need to let this one load for a few minutes. It's about 8 minutes long.

http://www.station46.com/St%20Augustine%20video.htm
    "DON'T GO IN THERE!!! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE IS A FIRE IN THERE!!!!"

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for the cool (HOT) video. I see you had a talk with the camera person about maintaining a steady hand........LOL

I'm amazed the car didn't ignite, but I'll bet the paint blistered. It was probably worth more than the house.

Gotta bust your chops....What's with the funny red hose?? An oversized booster line??

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Looks like my distract...

That makes for a good training video. Red hose... 1 3/4.. we use the same lines here, and yes there red..... My crew watched the video. Then are Captain said what would you guys done. Man did we have alot to say. Houston F.D. must be a N F P A dept. I will say every thing was by the book.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Funny

I must say, H.F.D. has some good fires, lots more videos on there site. But i must ask. Ive seen them all and i dont know. Did they put the fires out, our did the fire run out of fuel.......

MembersZone Subscriber

i hope you are kidding? about saying they are by the book? going into a fully involved house fire? what was there to save?? the car out front was the only thing there worth trying to save. guy walking around with no gear on? who ever that idot was pulling hose and grabbing stuff without his gear on need to go back to school and learn that u must have your gear on when working a fire scene, if he was the driver then stay with the truck. that video was about as bad as watching a bunch of vollies that have not had a fire in awhile just fighting fire with no gear on! comon guys really that was a video of what not to do! house like that should have been surround and drown!! no need to have gone in, the guys walking around with no helmets, or anything on!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tailboardrider
    i hope you are kidding? about saying they are by the book? going into a fully involved house fire? what was there to save?? the car out front was the only thing there worth trying to save. guy walking around with no gear on? who ever that idot was pulling hose and grabbing stuff without his gear on need to go back to school and learn that u must have your gear on when working a fire scene, if he was the driver then stay with the truck. that video was about as bad as watching a bunch of vollies that have not had a fire in awhile just fighting fire with no gear on! comon guys really that was a video of what not to do! house like that should have been surround and drown!! no need to have gone in, the guys walking around with no helmets, or anything on!
    In your perfect world, did you happen to hear the radio traffic about a report of someone in the building?

Are there a lot of cellar holes where you work?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Theres one in every group. Probally hasnt been in a fire. Forreal alot of firefighters enjoy going in a structure involved like that h@#$ I would. Dont pay him no attention bro youll keep doing what you do. Good job. Besides even if they said wasnt no one in there I would swear I heard someone say there was just to go play a little bit.
    Last edited by Tann3100; 01-27-2006 at 05:13 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Suround and drown??? You are joking right?

Are there some issues that I though were a little odd? sure... like someone having to go get as he put it some pike poles...I would have figured the Truckies would have a few with them...but I don't know perhaps they had vaulted celings in that little shack...I can't tell. I wasn't there an all I can see doesn't look bad from what the video shows. Overall though it seemed pretty cut and dry to me.

There was obviously an area to search to the rear of the structure...they appeared to place handlines between the fire and the areas to be searched and they knocked the fire down. I'm sure you work in some slashing outfit there buddy...tell us how the job is supposed to be...what "school" can we attend to learn these skills where you give up the fight as soon as one see's big red flames? To me stretching lines between possible occupants and the undamaged portion of the structure and the fire is about as basic as Engine Co operations get. What book or text do you subscribe to?

All I can say if you were here and wouldn't at least attempt to make entry into that fire...for the remainder of your sorry azz career you would be labled a coward if not worse...I imagine the same goes for the HFD.

I'm sure the HFD is glad they don't have you backing them up...go back to wherever you are from and bravely attack those fires from the street!

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

You know, kind of like Fred, there where a few more things in this video that made me scratch my head a bit...nothing serious though.

But I will make this commentary, kind of set off by Tailboard's comment...

going into a fully involved house fire?

It is by far, far a more dangerous thing that firefighters can't properly size-up a fire than any lack of gear by the Engineers (I assume -- they guy who was moving hose & tools, and yes, kind of poked his head in the door at one point) is.

That building, from what's on the video. was not fully involved.

We'd be better off as a fire service if we did better training on things like size-up, determining where the fire is and what it is doing, etc then worrying if someone has their turnout gear on.

Forum Member

Question Protecting the vehicle

This may sound like a dumb question to some of you, but how would you go about protecting the vehicle in front of the house? Is that something that would take a 'backseat' to the fire and any possible victims inside?

Forum Member

I think it was a great video. Keep them coming. I enjoy watching how other departments work. You can always pick up little things to put in your tool box. The only negetative thing I have to say has already been mentioned by FFFred and that is you have 2 hands so if you don't have the nozzle in one of them then you need to have 2 tools in them. I try all the time to preach that to the new guys at work. That house was far from being fully involved. Like FFFred said, if you didn't bust up in that house here then you would most definitely be called a p#$$y.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Tailboard what there was to save was the person’s property…didn’t you learn that in fire school. I guess you haven’t made many fires. Otherwise you would know how grateful people are when you can save them anything. I brought out a picture once from a fire where they lost 90 percent of their belongings and they held on to that picture and thanked me because it was theirs and we saved it. Sometimes it’s the little things. Was my life worth that picture? YES it was. Other wise what am I doing this for. Funny how you bring up safety, but look at your name Tailboard rider…ya..Like that’s safe. If you think a two room fire calls for a surround and drown, then thank God you’re not on my department. I will give you this though. Although there shows a lot of unsafe practices and no amount of experience will save you without proper gear, it’s just not real world. When you get some fires under your belt you will see that. And I don’t mean that in a bad way either. I was a rookie once myself and thought that everything I learned in school was the bible and they way to do it…

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

MembersZone Subscriber

anyone with another link to this file ... the initial link is down now
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

the site is down right now....check back in a little while...

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1
    That house was far from being fully involved. Like FFFred said, if you didn't bust up in that house here then you would most definitely be called a p#$$y.

Well put bro

MembersZone Subscriber

that video was about as bad as watching a bunch of vollies that have not had a fire in awhile just fighting fire with no gear on!
    Pay and unions do not determine wheather you are a professional.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfd838
    Was my life worth that picture? YES it was.
    I love how these boards ping pong all over the place. One minute we are talking about reducing LODD's and safety safety safety! The next minute we are macho men that dare not be a "pussy" and that a picture is worth a firefighter's life.

Ho hum, what fun the Internet is.

Forum Member

I cannot tell you how proud I am to work in a department that actually "fights" fire!
    I would be ashamed to be associated with a department that rolled to that scene and went defensive!

"Surround and drown."?! Hopefully YOU are the one that is kidding!
    "Nothing left to save." Yeah, nothing of value to you perhaps, but most likely EVERYTHING this family had in the world!

How many fires have you actually been to? And of those, how many have you actually made entry? Apparently not many if you cosidered this was "fully involved".

I think overall they did a very good job. Keep up the good work guys!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire
    I love how these boards ping pong all over the place. One minute we are talking about reducing LODD's and safety safety safety! The next minute we are macho men that dare not be a "pussy" and that a picture is worth a firefighter's life.

Somewhere around the middle is a path......

Most places I know would have made a interior attack on that fire.

Every place I know would have the decency not to rip a Department for what they perceived to be the "wrong" way to handle it.

Like I said, listen to the tape, they talk about a possible victim.

Like Dal said, it wasn't fully invovled.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfd66truck
    Somewhere around the middle is a path......

Most places I know would have made a interior attack on that fire.

Every place I know would have the decency not to rip a Department for what they perceived to be the "wrong" way to handle it.

Like I said, listen to the tape, they talk about a possible victim.

Like Dal said, it wasn't fully invovled.
    I saw the video at the station and the speakers were not working. I did not hear the radio traffic. All the more reason to make entry and conduct a search!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WebFire

Webfire my post is not me being macho, because that will get you killed quicker then all most anything I know. Like wise you will not find a single word on here with me saying fireman should not die. 15 years ago I made the decision to be a firefighter and since that day I have realized that my job could one day take my life. I do not fear it nor do I wish for it. The only way to keep fireman from dying is to be like tailboard there and never go in, but that is not what I have chosen to do. I believe I am very aggressive firefighter, but more important, I believe I’m a smart firefighter. Being macho kills, being to safe kills civilians. It is up to each person where they chose fall in at. I myself surround myself with aggressive smart firemen, who use their brains and experience, more then their egos or balls. So moral of the story. I took an oath to protect life and property by putting my life at risk and that is what I get paid to do. Oh and just so you don't think I’m talking macho ego, I buried my captain on my birthday last year so I know first hand what the real truth about a LODD is.

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Being tenative and unsure kills too.

Know your abilities, know your enemy.....

Do The Right Thing......

MembersZone Subscriber

OK boys and girls… let me clear a few things up about this fire…

1) The big red booster line as some have called it…lol I to thought it was a little too much, but here is a true story. 02-19-05 A house fire Brandon at Bellfort. 8 men enter 7 men come out…most through windows with their gear on fire. After the fire like any LODD an investigation follows and one thing was clear from the start. There were two lines in the house at the time, a blue line and an orange line. The few firefighters that made it out the front door all stated that the orange line was easy to find. Were they could not see the blue line at all. So a lesson was learned (hey safety nuts here is me being safe) Use high visibility hose in case things go south it could save your life. Ya they look funny, but even I can accept that if it helps get me out of a bad fire. (remember be smart) And YES IT DOES LOOK LIKE AN OVER SIZED RED LINE…LOL
    2) Yes the chuffers are not wearing gear. Personal choice that our department lets members make for themselves. I guess if you don’t like that don’t come to Houston.
    3) Yes we did get a report that there might be someone inside. Luckily they got out.
    4) For those that said the house was fully involved..lol either they didn’t watch the whole video or they have no idea what a fully involved fire looks like. If they didn’t like that wait to the next video I put up looks like..lol their really going to go nuts over that one…lol
    5) This part is not to start a debate, but in Houston we do wear different hoods that allow us to go in faster and deeper. There are pro’s and con’s to this, but I do stand by it.
    6) Thank you for everyone that watched the video and said good job and thank you for all those that watched and said something different. I appreciate all types of opinions even if they don’t match with mine. I’m not God. I’m just a guy trying to put out a fire.
    7) And last but not least…I would love to see videos of you all’s fire so lets seem them or at least e-mail them to me or send a link. I promise I won’t judge what has all ready happened…
    8) Stay safe my brothers….and be ready the bell will someday go off

"YOU'RE KILLING ME ROOK"

Forum Member

Hahaha.... lets see your dept. in action, I'm sure that would be even funnier than this comment you made!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hfd838
    OK boys and girls… let me clear a few things up about this fire…

1) The big red booster line as some have called it…lol I to thought it was a little too much, but here is a true story. 02-19-05 A house fire Brandon at Bellfort. 8 men enter 7 men come out…most through windows with their gear on fire. After the fire like any LODD an investigation follows and one thing was clear from the start. There were two lines in the house at the time, a blue line and an orange line. The few firefighters that made it out the front door all stated that the orange line was easy to find. Were they could not see the blue line at all. So a lesson was learned (hey safety nuts here is me being safe) Use high visibility hose in case things go south it could save your life. Ya they look funny, but even I can accept that if it helps get me out of a bad fire. (remember be smart) And YES IT DOES LOOK LIKE AN OVER SIZED RED LINE…LOL
    2) Yes the chuffers are not wearing gear. Personal choice that our department lets members make for themselves. I guess if you don’t like that don’t come to Houston.
    3) Yes we did get a report that there might be someone inside. Luckily they got out.
    4) For those that said the house was fully involved..lol either they didn’t watch the whole video or they have no idea what a fully involved fire looks like. If they didn’t like that wait to the next video I put up looks like..lol their really going to go nuts over that one…lol
    5) This part is not to start a debate, but in Houston we do wear different hoods that allow us to go in faster and deeper. There are pro’s and con’s to this, but I do stand by it.
    6) Thank you for everyone that watched the video and said good job and thank you for all those that watched and said something different. I appreciate all types of opinions even if they don’t match with mine. I’m not God. I’m just a guy trying to put out a fire.
    7) And last but not least…I would love to see videos of you all’s fire so lets seem them or at least e-mail them to me or send a link. I promise I won’t judge what has all ready happened…
    8) Stay safe my brothers….and be ready the bell will someday go off
    I agree with your point about high vis hose. We use bright yellow for our attack lines.

I am hoping that we can one day get a dedicated videogragher for our department. At this time we do not have one.

Please keep the videos coming. I really enjoy watching, comparing tactics and reading everyone's comments.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Thread Information