MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Fire Prev Grants out 1/27

Round 1 will be out...
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

They are up. Congratulations to all winners. I had 3 clients on the list myself today.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Angry

Oh yeah, There they are.........

And near the top of the list......... the freaking redcross.
    Millions.... no more like BILLIONS of donation dollars pouring in to the redcross and there they are, scamming off funds which would be better utilized by FIRE DEPARTMENTS who have very little money to help their communities.

YES, this "P's" me right off.

I wonder how many computers and office renovation/decoration jobs this money will buy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarionMedic
    Oh yeah, There they are.........

And near the top of the list......... the freaking redcross.
    Millions.... no more like BILLIONS of donation dollars pouring in to the redcross and there they are, scamming off funds which would be better utilized by FIRE DEPARTMENTS who have very little money to help their communities.

YES, this "P's" me right off.

I wonder how many computers and office renovation/decoration jobs this money will buy.

Whew, remind me not to eat out of your bowl of cornflakes this morning!

My sources indicate that only 3000 total applicants applied for this program this year, out of 56,000 departments that were eligible. That is pathetic guys. Now you are going to blow steam at the Red Cross when in fact, they are helping the program, because if they did not give it to them, and obviously they wrote a good grant, then they would have leftover funds in the program and guess what happens when their are funds left over? Congress gives them less next year.

I agree with you that this money should be going to fire departments but, obviously, we are not picking up the ball and running with it. Too many want to squirt the wet stuff on the hot stuff and not enough of us want to try to stop having to do just that, by getting off our Barcaloungers in the dayroom and going to put up smoke detectors, conduct risk assessments and teach the kids and senior citizens in the schools.

We have no one but ourselves to blame for this! I am not downing all fire departments ( I think you guys know me too well on this subject to even think you can go there) but, those of you who this applies to, know who you are.

MarionMedic I hope you turned in an application that had a decent risk assessment and chances are you WILL be funded if you did, as they were screaming for qualified applicants to give this money too. This was just the first round, so don't get discouraged. Hang in there and hopefully your name will be on the list soon enough!
    Last edited by ktb9780; 01-27-2006 at 10:23 AM.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

where are the winners posted? My department put in for this grant and have not heard anything yet.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lilyogi
    where are the winners posted? My department put in for this grant and have not heard anything yet.

Try here: http://www.firegrantsupport.com/fps/award/05/
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyogi
    I guess that's pretty consistent with the fire service. The 22 round afg announcement is posted on the front page and so is the next round of SAFER but no mention of FP&S. I just wish the fire service put as much time and effort into prevention and resident safety as it does preparing for the once every 10 year call. I know that's not everyone out there some of you are applying for desperately needed basics, but I think you know what I mean.

And Kurt, yup that's me up there in the Round 1 award. Thanks for helping make it happen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer

And Kurt, yup that's me up there in the Round 1 award. Thanks for helping make it happen.

Hey dude! Congrats. Of course Iknew it would get funded, we made sure you addressed everything in the PG. ODn;t stand on your laurels though, start thinking next year and boy, do I have a new and exciting FP & S program for anyone interested for next year and I believe it will stand the industry on its ears.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Talking

MarionMedic I hope you turned in an application that had a decent risk assessment and chances are you WILL be funded if you did, as they were screaming for qualified applicants to give this money too.

Oh yeah....... We got an application in. As far as the app goes the plan and risk assessment is the best we could do on our own.

We don't have a multi-million dollar fundraising sceme... I mean team... at our disposal so it is justifiably rudimentary. But I think they'll have no problems understanding the concept of installing detectors and changing batteries for senior citizens, disabled, and low income citizens.

We'll be watching the award results.

And, yes, I feel the AFG is indeed OUR "bowl of cornflakes" and am a bit jealous over it.
    The fire service has very few opportunities for funding compared to everything else from animal rights to zoological research. It should be for FIRE SERVICE.

No real animosity. Just my 1st Amendment Rights being exercised.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarionMedic
    MarionMedic I hope you turned in an application that had a decent risk assessment and chances are you WILL be funded if you did, as they were screaming for qualified applicants to give this money too.

Oh yeah....... We got an application in. As far as the app goes the plan and risk assessment is the best we could do on our own.

We don't have a multi-million dollar fundraising sceme... I mean team... at our disposal so it is justifiably rudimentary. But I think they'll have no problems understanding the concept of installing detectors and changing batteries for senior citizens, disabled, and low income citizens.

We'll be watching the award results.

And, yes, I feel the AFG is indeed OUR "bowl of cornflakes" and am a bit jealous over it.
    The fire service has very few opportunities for funding compared to everything else from animal rights to zoological research. It should be for FIRE SERVICE.

No real animosity. Just my 1st Amendment Rights being exercised.
    None of the 93 departments I helped get funded this year had a single budget that was over $500,000.00. In fact the average budget for our clients was less than $50,000.00 per year. Budget has nothing to do with the ability of your "members" to get out a do the leg work. A group of cub scouts can stand outside the local Wal-Mart and ask three simple questions of every person walking in the door:

" Do you have a smoke detector in your home?"
    "Are there children under 14 in your home or senior citizens over 65?"
    " Would you let us install a detector if we gave it to you free?"

Those three "rudimentary" questions qualified as an "informal risk assessment". The same thing could be said about giving a 5 question "fire safety quiz" in all your elementary schools. It is not the "multi-million dollar fundraising teams" that get these grants exclusively, it is the one's who will take the time to do the work. You just have to learn to work smarter, not harder; and working smarter is simply a matter of reading the PG and following the directions, plain and simple!

Hopefully, your project had something similar to what I described above included in it to determine what your actual "need" ( risk) was and if it did, you should be funded. Good luck and let us know in the coming weeks if you did get it. By the way, what is your department's name so we can watch for your award annoucement?

I would also dare say that you have never once been in a natural disaster the size of Hurricane Andrew or larger. If you had been, and were struggling along with the victims, I don't think you would be so down on the Red Cross. Their tradition is "chock full" of work on and for the FDs in this country. I have eaten many a meal and seen the Red Cross be the first people on the scene of every hosue fire in my area for the past 30 years and be the only ones offerring to give shelter, food and clothing to the victim's of the fires and then help "rehab" our members with food, drink etc.

I dare say their track record with fire prevention and "safety" training ( yes the grant does say "safety" as well) to children and adutls equals or exceeds any efforts done by actual fire service members, if you check out the actual numbers of people that have gone through Red Cross safety" training in CPR, First Responder, Water Safety, Swimming etc.

If you have not guessed it by now, I have been a Red Cross Instructor in various disciplines ( CPR, First Responder, Water Safety, Disaster Preparedness) since I was in my teens. I also have been the recipient of their aid on numerous occassions including 2004 when my home was destroyed by Hurricane Charlie, Jeanne and Frances in less than 60 days. But, that is MHO, and expressed through my Freedom of Speech also.

Take care guy and I hope you guys get funded.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information