Forum Member

Default a question about narrative format

As I begin to wordsmith my narrative, I am wondering if there is any advantage to breaking it into sections; identified by Roman num. or just writing a narrative with paragraphs that cover each section.

In reviewing a few among friends, I have observed it done both ways?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hey I'm hurt. You didn't read my last article?

Use the sections and headings in the PG. That's the way the scoring sheet is written, so if you don't use the headings, in the 6-10 minutes they get to read your narrative, if they don't remember where they saw the Local Funding issues in your 3 page workup, they aren't looking for it, just scoring it low. Believe me, there is a reason they put stuff in the PG, and Workshop PPT. It all means something.

Forum Member

I have to plead a bit of ignorance; I have checked your site quite a bit, but where is the article?

Thanks for input

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

To access the full text of Brian's articles, you must be a MemberZone Subscriber.

You will find the articles very informative.
    Last edited by onebugle; 01-25-2006 at 08:59 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle

You will find the articles very informative.
    Translation: I get a 5% kick back from each of you suckers that sign up J/K Brian

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hey, that's a dime each month.

Anybody got any dimes?! Somebody go back and get a $#&*load of dimes!

MembersZone Subscriber

Hmmm....I'm thinking...tax deduction.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2006 Workshop Presentation Tells All(Those Snitches!)

Gentlemen:
    The 2006 Applicant Workshop Presentation is now available on www.firegrantsupport.com. You do have to have PowerPoint to view it, however. It plainly tells you just how to do the narrative catagories. You simply have to have the humility to follow orders. Not so easy for some of us though. Oh well.

Brian, Alana, and Kurt have each told everyone again and again just exactly how to do them, and why to do them, this particular way. Yet time-after-time, year-after-year, there are thousands of applicants who insist on still doing it their own way, with marginal results ensuing repeatedly.

It kindda reminds me of the high school student who wears purple hair and punk clothes, then wonders why he can't make it with the captain of the varsity cheerleaders, and yet the straight-A varsity quarterback does. Maybe it's because the punkster doesn't yet get it that there is a huge difference between being a big-time outstanding scholar-athlete, and just standing-out big-time. They're not the same thing, but the slacker want's to think it's all the same thing, cause his way is so much easier.

You don't get points for presenting your story the way you understand it, you get points for presenting your story the way that they (The Reviewers) need to understand it; the only way that they can understand it. When you get that, you'll get it (the money)! And until you do get it, you won't get it. It's that simple. Got it? I knew that you could!
    Last edited by CptnMatt; 01-26-2006 at 09:44 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

And just to answer the poor guy's orginal question; arrange it in the following order and with the following headings:

Project Description
    Financial Need
    Cost Benefit
    Operational Outcomes

Alright all you wannabe successful grant writer's";get cracking. The race is on!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Roger that.

Kurt's right. That's why he's the man. I need to chill more. My apologies for lecturing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nothing wrong with the lecture just need to make sure the original question does gets answered. Kind of like losing the forest for the trees!
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, Kurt.
    My point was, however, that the 4 required narrative sections are exactly laid out in BOLD Headings right there for all of us to see, already, in the newly released workshop presentation, which is still unchanged from last year, at that. One just has to look at them. Ignore them, and try to make up your own, at your own peril.

My main point was to illustrate one trying to be defiantly independent, as though that was some type of virtue, from which a perceived gain would be realized. I believe that that is the main question at issue that began this thread, as posted be AFD2181. My second point was that it's not really fair to ask you three Grant Gurus to do all the thinking for everyone at every single step of the way anyway, is it? I think that this is the point that BC79er was alluding to in his reply to the initial post as well. Especially since he has, at no small cost of time and effort to himself, already published a series of excellent articles here at Firehouse.com. explaining these 4 narrative sections at great length. One does, in fact, even have to deliberately pass by their links on the Grants & Funding page to even get to this very Fire Grant Act link itself.

Applicants should at least have to make an effort, firstly, shouldn't they? At least read and then try to understand the program as it's established. Then we should ask you guys questions if there's something that's not clear or specific (And there's a ton that still isn't; so your job security is well secure for far, far, into the future from now; even at that). That's all. Have a great day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Touche' Matt! On point, on target! Sometimes I get frustrated repeating the same things over and over and some still don't get it; the consultant's lament I guess. Part of being a good grant writer is to be able to READ & COMPREHEND and that is a skill that is very difficult to teach someone at this point in their lives, unless you sometimes just literally point your finger to the page and the paragraph and have them read it aloud to you.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information