Forum Member

Default Emergency Management

Anybody know of any state requirements to be a member / coordinator of a local office of emergency management. We are surrounded by water on all sides, ocean and river, and OEM is a very big necessity in our town (considering the fact that it floods every time someone flushes their toilet). I have heard many different things including there is no requirement for OEM (I know that person is wrong). Hoping somebody can clear things up for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Where are ya ?

This may be governed at the county , state, or federal level.
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

New Jersey, Monmouth County

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone from Jersey have any ideas concerning Emergency management ?

George ?

About all I can tell you is here in Missouri the EMA (Emergency Management Agency) can be local , regional ( county) and statewide SEMA (Statewide Emergency Management Agency)
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

Post oem

murph

most OEM officers come from the local emergency services depts and have passed through the ranks . our town its the PD prior it was FD ,depends on whos who ! the only requirement to my knowldge is IMS. contact the MCFA at 732-938-5323 talk to GORDY or BILL ,if they don'thave the info they will get it! call after 7:00 pm

"there is no greater family outside our own than the brotherhood of firefighters"

LT Dennis

PS you must live in SEA Bright or Monmouth Beach

Forum Member

There are no requirements to be a member of OEM in my town. We have been very fortunate in that the people that have been involved with it are all members of our FD and/or PD.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know anything about OEM except that the NJSP ruined it, ....I mean, handles it.

Forum Member

Very good, thanks for the input. I am a life long resident, police officer, and member of fire / ems. Currently our first aid capt. is the coordinator, but rummor has it our mayor (OEM members are appointed by her) is looking to "update".

Forum Member

As far as I recall, there are no requirements outside of ims to be in oem. However I believe it is state statue that in order to be a cordinator you need to be a resident of the town you are applying for. I am not sure but I also remeber there being classes that are needed as far as mangement and coridiantion, and you have to maintain a ceu type status. For better info check your town ordinance books. Also in may there is a NJEPA conference in AC. It is mostly oem, you will be able to network with a lot of people to get the right answers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flood Course

This doesn't answer your question but it came to mind when you described your response area. There is a course on February 6th at night at the Avalon Fire Department in Cape May County (Exit 13 GSP). It is titled "Urban Flood Response - Level 1" and gives 4 elective CEUs for your EMT certification. I don't know if it's something you'd be interested in travelling down here for but I thought I'd let you know about it. You can get more information off the CEU page of the OEMS website.

Forum Member

Like I said in the original post, Emergency Management is a very important part of our towns public safety.

http://www.1strespondernews.com/webp...3-fe3114ddbfd3

These were the conditions we delt with all weekend, and Emergency Management was no where to be found until after the storm was over. And even then he did not take any action.

Thread Information