Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

One Meridian Plaza was (or wasnt) fought with 1 3/4 fog nozzles. It was expected from the department that we would be able to achieve pressures high enough to producing effective streams. Unknown to those who make the call, the building engineers placed pressure reducing valves on each floor at the connection with decreased the pressure to 40 psi (i think) which produced nothing but a **** stream from the tip. Not only was the presance of the pressure reducers not known, they were installed incorrectly so that you werent able to adjust them using the numbers marked on the gauge. Since this tragedy, we have gone to 2 1/2 with smoothbores (at least most companies have). I know some who havent. I made a few Hi-Rise jobs that were fought with 1 3/4 with fog off the standpipe. Luckily the appartment doors were closed and we had low wind condtions. The hallways had medium to heavy smoke conditions and I was just S&R but I just wish all would take heed and go with 2 1/2 with smoothbores on Hi-Rises jobs. Things went well on these and all went home, its just the possibility and the fact that some havent learned from our own departments mistakes in the past that scare me.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Ok............

A good debate (mostly) so far, but one point that I didn't see yet (or missed) is that there is apparatus out there that does not carry 2.5 hose. My 2 Engines have 1.5" 2.0" and 3.0" Our standpipe packs are lightweight 2.0 with a Breakapart combination nozzle. We have not had any problems with this arrangement.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    A good debate (mostly) so far, but one point that I didn't see yet (or missed) is that there is apparatus out there that does not carry 2.5 hose. My 2 Engines have 1.5" 2.0" and 3.0" Our standpipe packs are lightweight 2.0 with a Breakapart combination nozzle. We have not had any problems with this arrangement.

Hwoods the only reason for the 2 1/2" is because that is what the Engineers designed the system for up untill 1993. If my cars Engine was designed to use a certain gasket or certain type of injector I wouldn't expect the mechanic to install and use one that it wasn't designed to use.

I know the vast majority of my buildings with standpipes were built prior to 1993...hell most were probably built prior to 1933! however I digress. All I can say is you better hope you can get the most flow from your nozzle/hose combination under the worst conditions. There is no easy back-up plan or solution when working from standpipes..as I'm sure you know.

FTM-PTB

Thread Information