Forum Member

Question Need help about hiring practices?

Yes I need some help. The department I work for does not have any type of physical agility test or written test. We have the requirements and all that but all you do is put in for the job and they choose who they hire. I have heard paople say this creates a legality and the plaintiff can easily win this type of lawsuit in court if they challenged this type of hiring practice. Ok now onto my questions.

They are trying to put something together here like physical agility, written etc. to create a better hiring process. However we want to stress the importance of haveing this type of process to prevent lawsuits etc. to all involved to make sure it goes through to start doing it this way. My question is I have looked and searched the internet to try and find lawsuits involving this type of lawsuit in which the people won because the fire dept. did not have any structured type of hiring process and have came up with nothing that im looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows any cases like this and if so can please share a link or give me like case names etc. I appreciate any help you all can give as I feel this would be a postive step for our fire dept. in the right direction.

Thanks
    KJ

MembersZone Subscriber

no written, no physical, were is this place?

MembersZone Subscriber

Hrrmmm Yeah this is true. I have not heard of to many department's that did not have any type of testing. I have heard of lawsuits in various places around the country that have been sued for basically the same thing. People claim discrimination based on whatever and a department cannot defend against it if they dont have some type of testing to say this is how we determine how people are hired. I will try to dig up some cases for you and Im sure others will help you also

Forum Member

And yes this is a career department BTW......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Kjohnson24
    Yes I need some help. The department I work for does not have any type of physical agility test or written test. We have the requirements and all that but all you do is put in for the job and they choose who they hire. I have heard paople say this creates a legality and the plaintiff can easily win this type of lawsuit in court if they challenged this type of hiring practice. Ok now onto my questions.

They are trying to put something together here like physical agility, written etc. to create a better hiring process. However we want to stress the importance of haveing this type of process to prevent lawsuits etc. to all involved to make sure it goes through to start doing it this way. My question is I have looked and searched the internet to try and find lawsuits involving this type of lawsuit in which the people won because the fire dept. did not have any structured type of hiring process and have came up with nothing that im looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows any cases like this and if so can please share a link or give me like case names etc. I appreciate any help you all can give as I feel this would be a postive step for our fire dept. in the right direction.

Thanks
    KJ
    My recomendation is for your Union to work on getting Civil Service Hiring laws passed that recognize merit and fittness as legal basis for hiring the best and brightest for the job. We have it here and while it is always under attack it is by far the fairest and best way to hire...at least it has worked here for the most part.

As for legal fights...there are plenty out there....find some of the fireservice legal books out there and read up on them...many cite the cases you are looking for.

Forum Member

Thanks for your idea. But one problem is our department is small department and not union. So what kind of options can we look at since we are not union? We have a copy of a writtten test from a company that we are looking at. Also have a good idea of what the physical agility test will be like. Main thin is getting city hall to go for it they have not been a big fan of this. So in order to get it through is our city hall is scared of lawsuits and dont like them so we are hoping to play off that card that is the reason that I am looking for court cases.

THanks
    kj

Forum Member

Try and work toward a real competitive exam process. If they go the pass-fail route they will still hire who they want.

Forum Member

The written will be pass fail but physical from what is being said right nonow is the physical agility will not be pass/fail. Only way you can fail physical agility is if they do not complete a task. As far as time limit wont be one. We want to get it competitive but we have got to get city hall to go for it and thats why were playing the protection against lawsuit card cause otherwise they will not go for it. And we cant just say it they want proof of actual lawsuits that have taken place because a candidate was over looked using the type process we have now. As said process we have now is you put in a application and they choose who they interview then hire who they want its not structured at all on the hiring end.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking how big is the department

I take it that folks are not kicking down the door to get on your department,,lol

Forum Member

LOL Right now we have 7 firefighters on duty ran around 2500 runs last year. Building a sub station gonna hire again later this year beetween 6-9. Then they are talking about another station in the next 3-5 years if that city has just now figured out we are behind times. Most places around our area that are our size have about 15-17 on shift.

But yeah we have alot of people that want to get on but some good ones usally get overlooked.

MembersZone Subscriber

wheres this place at? with hiring that many, im intrested in applying

MembersZone Subscriber

i see your a guest so i couldnt pm you, but e-mail me at spud-x@mailcity.com

you said you were from TN and im intrested in moving there.

Thread Information