MembersZone Subscriber

Default AGA clearing problems

My division has many people who do not like the AGA because they have problems clearing while wearing it. We are trying to place a piece of neoprene on the clearing block to help, what has other places tried to help their guys?

One idea that has come up is wearing a nose clip while wearing the mask. We asked the instructor at our local shop and he didn't see any problem with it. Having never heard of it being done I can't imagine that we invented something. Anyone have a reason not to try it? Or can you see a potential hazard. Our next pool I was going to give it a go to evaluate it before allowing anyone else to try.

Forum Member

That sounds like it could work and is a good idea at least to try. Let me know how it goes. We have Ocean Reef full masks and it is hard to clear in those also. Thinking about it having the noseclip would probably work and I can't think of anything to be worried about. There are probably some advantages to doing it. I sometimes exhale out of my nose which tends to fog my mask up at times. Wearing the noseclip prob would aleviate that. At work it isnt a big deal because you can never see anyway since it is all black water diving.

Forum Member

Default Tip to extend the nose block....

One of the divers at the Larimer County Dive team has experienced trouble getting the nose block to seal under his nose. The trick he discoverd was gluing two nose blocks together essentially making one long nose block. You have to cut the "V" shape off of one block then glue it to the base of the second block. This single long block allows for adjustment onto the adjustment wire located inside the nose cup. I hope this helps.

If you need a second nose block, consider contacting Patrick Kitchens at 800-248-3483.

Blades Robinson

MembersZone Subscriber

I was able to get some more info about this topic since starting the post.
    A commercial diver I know said that their is a possible increase of reverse squeeze because air isn't passing the area. He said some guys wore nose clips and they dove to 400' or more.
    So I guess it is another tool for the tool box

Forum Member

I dont know if you can do this due to money, but if you can trim your block to fit your nose, kind of round off the corners, it may well help. I have seen a couple of guys do this and get good results. I also know how expensive they are, so all teams cant do it.

Hope it helps.

Digger Treinish

Forum Member

On mine, I found out that if you place the microphone (if equipped) underneath the nose block, it helps. The other thing I noticed, was really getting your chin inside the chin cup and tightening the lowest straps up real good---that one helped me out tremendously and I haven't had a problem since.

T-Bone
    Dive Team Leader
    Benzie County Dive Team
    Michigan

Thread Information