Forum Member

Default Getting (3E7) Fire Protection

When you say get it in writing! Can you actually be guaranteed to get that AFSC. (MOS) Specially since I have some experience in the Fire Service as a EMT.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jprior
    When you say get it in writing! Can you actually be guaranteed to get that AFSC. (MOS) Specially since I have some experience in the Fire Service as a EMT.
    YEP! It is written right on my contract that I went into the AF with the AFSC: 3E7X1. If they break that contract at any time, you have the right to leave, no harm, no foul.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jprior
    Having experience doesn't help until you have the job. Getting it guaranteed is a must if you want that job. Yes....as stated above it can be done.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Right now is a damn good time to enlist for fire protection as well. I'm at goodfellow right now and they just built us a HUGE new dorm that's JUST for firedawgs. And it has a capacity of double what we're currently manned at. They're also adding instructors and pouring money into the school. Also, every new class that shows up from Lackland on monday is bigger than the last. We're even getting a female this monday!

So yeah, now is a good time.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default In Writing

Your contract may state that you have been selected for a specific job, but read the fine print. If the military need you in another position, you can be "retrained" into that career field or given the opportunity to be discharged under convenience of the military. With the current situations in Iraq and soon to be Iran, no career field is secure.

Default hey

Don't do it! Go to school get your degree and get your EMT. Test like crazy. The AF FD is not the way to go.

Forum Member

i just got Fire Protection job contract signed. i ship april 16th to lackland... i am coming from 3 years as a career fire fighter to a air force firefighter.. my JROTC instructor was a AF fire cheif so that helped me some but only to ship out early. does anyone know any good websites on af firefighting

Forum Member

dodfire.com

or ask these questions @ dodfire.net/forum

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ARFFBORE View Post
    Don't do it! Go to school get your degree and get your EMT. Test like crazy. The AF FD is not the way to go.
    DOD FD isn't bad. Like any job, it's what you make of it. I have been in for 3 years, 9 months with 3 to go until I'm out. In that time I've earned an associates in Fire Science and a bachelors in psychology, not to mention numerous certs. I've also done more traveling than most guys I know (the real traveling with a backpack, hostels, etc)... My point?

My point is that if you work hard, the amount you can gain is huge but it takes dedication, like anything. I wouldn't exchange this experience for the anything.

I'm tired of guys with bad attitudes.

side note: any guys who come into the Air Force as a firefighter with previous experience, please don't brag about how much you know or all the stuff you seen as a Jolley Volley. This is a different game and the rules of "back in my old department" don't apply.
    Last edited by sabongwon; 04-25-2007 at 09:40 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ARFFBORE View Post
    You sir, are wrong. USAF is the way to go. Let's look at it this way:
    -For starters, enjoy your dead end job as your muster enough money to pay for local schooling for the next two to five years while you still live with your parents.
    -Enjoy not having an added 10% VA preference to your over all score when you do start applying
    -Enjoy your FireFighter 1 and EMT, while USAF fire fighters will enjoy putting down FF2, HAZMAT ops, ARFF, every driver/operator, and your 1s (officer, instructor, inspector), and now HAZMAT tech due to new 5 level requirements.
    -Enjoy not having 3 years of active in station experience to use as fuel for your interviewing
    -Enjoy not being able to apply for local lateral positions, because volunteer departments just don't cut it compared to active duty time in house.
    -Enjoy not being payed to goto school for all the things I listed above
    -Enjoy not having a GI bill to further your education when you get out

Joining the USAF gave me so much; and I don't regret it at all.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Antons View Post
    You sir, are wrong. USAF is the way to go. Let's look at it this way:
    -For starters, enjoy your dead end job as your muster enough money to pay for local schooling for the next two to five years while you still live with your parents.
    -Enjoy not having an added 10% VA preference to your over all score when you do start applying
    -Enjoy your FireFighter 1 and EMT, while USAF fire fighters will enjoy putting down FF2, HAZMAT ops, ARFF, every driver/operator, and your 1s (officer, instructor, inspector), and now HAZMAT tech due to new 5 level requirements.
    -Enjoy not having 3 years of active in station experience to use as fuel for your interviewing
    -Enjoy not being able to apply for local lateral positions, because volunteer departments just don't cut it compared to active duty time in house.
    -Enjoy not being payed to goto school for all the things I listed above
    -Enjoy not having a GI bill to further your education when you get out

Joining the USAF gave me so much; and I don't regret it at all.
    ...oh and don't forget to add the fact that you will enjoy not being able to go to school and finish up an AA in fire science as well as whatever other degree you feel like getting with 100% tuition's assistance to almost any college... (got my CCAF in a year after starting it and going towards 2 BAs now.)

MembersZone Subscriber

No one has mentioned it here yet but consider the family obligations, if you have them.

A USAF firefighter (active and reserve) is subject to mobility requirements and deployments for extended periods. The training is good and there are plenty of opportunities to travel and to see various aspects of fire protection that you won't see in the civilian departments. You can join the Air Force and still have the opportunity to attend school, either on campus or distance learning. MFRI even has a travelling DOD program but I'm not sure of exactly how that works overseas.

Understand your "5 level" upgrade training and readiness training will take priority and you may not be allowed to participate in other programs until all that is completed.

Forum Member

As an AF Fire Protection vet, I am here to tell you that I would not be were I am today as a Fire Inspector in the civilian world without the experience, training, and oppurtunity given to me by the military. Yes the deployments are a heavy burdan and rotations are too often. This makes military life more difficult if you have a family. But, make no mistake, employers WILL take a closer look at a military applicant with no degree over Mr. Applicant with a 4-year degree. The eight years I was in, the family life, the upgrade training and the deployments did not give oppurtunity to attend college while in. However, I used my GI Bill to complete my AA in Fire Science. Good luck with your military career.

Forum Member

Speaking of the new 5 level requirement, how can you get around getting your tech if your base does not have the equipment or train the trainer personel to teach the course? I just finished up my D/o cert in March and now am being told the unit can not send anyone to school to get their tech until next year( sep08) which is holding me up from moving into my 7 level courses which = advancement? Any suggestions?

Thread Information