Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Father denies knowing daughter was in chains

I can't wait to hear the response for this one.

CLARKSVILLE — Lloyd Lee Holt knew his 10-year-old daughter was restrained in her bedroom the night she died in a house fire, but he insisted he didn’t know she was chained to her bed.

The assertion was in his taped statement played to a Johnson County Circuit Court jury Thursday, the first day of Holt’s trial on charges of manslaughter and first-degree false imprisonment.

“I heard her yelling,” he told Arkansas State Police investigator Kim Warren the morning after 10-year-old Molly Holt died Nov. 9, 2003. “I tried to get to Molly’s room and then there was so much smoke and so much flame. I heard Molly calling me, ‘ Daddy, I’m going to die. ’”

Holt, 34, and his wife, Teresa Dick Holt, 33, were charged in Molly’s death after authorities found her remains in her bedroom and discovered that she had been chained by the ankle to her bed and was unable to escape the flames.

A Johnson County jury convicted Teresa Holt of manslaughter and first-degree false imprisonment in May 2004. She was sentenced to 14 years in prison.

Forensic anthropologist Elayne Pope who was called in by state medical examiner’s office after the fire to reconstruct Molly’s position in the bedroom, concluded Molly was under her bed when she died and that her left leg was chained to the bed.

“She couldn’t escape out the window,” Prosecuting Attorney David Gibbons said in his opening statement to the jury. “She couldn’t escape out the door. She couldn’t do anything but scream and hope that someone would save her.”

The couple claimed they had to restrain Molly because she had behavioral problems. She attacked her two younger siblings, attacked students and teachers at school and often was uncontrollable, Lloyd Holt said. The couple sought help from hospitals, counselors and school officials, but nothing worked, Lloyd Holt told Warren.

The Holts decided to restrain Molly at night because she would get up during the night and get into trouble. Once, Molly’s mother caught her put- ting a pillow over the face of her baby brother Briar, the Holts told police after the fire.

But Lloyd Holt said in his statement that his wife took care of the children and he never went into Molly’s bedroom. They decided together that Molly needed to be restrained at night, but it was Teresa Holt who actually applied the restraints.

The cause of the fire that destroyed the 70-year-old wood house in rural Johnson County has never been determined. But Lloyd Holt said in his statement he believed Molly set the fatal fire herself.

He said that the day before the fire, he had caught Molly burning a piece of paper in the space heater in her bedroom. The space heater remained in the room, though, and firefighters and deputies searching through the rubble found it next to Molly’s bed.

There were inconsistencies in Holt’s statements and his actions after the fire. Just after the fire, he told Chief Deputy Sheriff Jerry Dorney he knew of no chains being used to restrain Molly.

Lloyd Holt’s cousin Henry Holt of Springdale testified he saw chains and a leather leash on Molly’s bed, and Lloyd Holt explained the chains were needed to control Molly.

Rural resident John Wood testified he drove to the house the night of the fire and drove the Holts and their two surviving children to Holt’s brother’s home. Wood said he asked if anyone was still in the house, and Holt responded there wasn’t.

Holt’s daughter Madeline said her sister was still in the house, but her father said she had left the day before, Wood said.

Wood also said he offered Holt his cell phone so he could call for help, but Holt declined, saying he already had made the necessary calls.

Wood said he picked up the family about 11 : 15 p. m., but a sheriff’s dispatcher said the first report of the fire was made by Holt’s sister-in-law about 12 : 30 a. m. Nov. 10.

Testimony continues at 9 a. m. today.
    Sounds like daddy did a little extermination.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell
    I can't wait to hear the response for this one.

Sounds like daddy did a little extermination.
    I think that you are being very judgemental and very unfair to this guy. This whole thing sounds like a very, very sad situation. They had a daughter they were unable to help and it could be argued that they were actually trying to protect her and protect their family. It also sounds like they loved their daughter and went to great lengths to get her help.

They definitely made a serious mistake here. A serious mistake that will, in all likelihood result in a criminal conviction. It sounds like the fire originated in her room and it sounds like he made an attempt to get to her. Can you imagine the last words you hear from your daughter are "Daddy, I am going to die."?

How do you conjure up in your vivid imagination that there was an "extermination"? He is not charged with setting the fire. He is not charged with murder. The term "extermination" in your post is unsubstantiated and slanderous.

I have been investigating fire a long time. From what few facts are in that article, I feel very sorry for this guy. He does not appear to be a monster.

Belive it or not, Im with George here. It can be very difficult to deal with a child who has "issues". I know, as Im the father of one. You would be stunned how hard it actually is to get the proper help for these kids. Unless either you have a couple money trees growing in your yard, or your jobless and on full government support to start with.

I dont know this guy, but if hes a lower-middle class citizen without good medical coverage, his chances of finding what he needed for his child are pretty much nill. I consider myself middle class, with decent health insurance. But even in my case, these types of programs are either not covered, or come with stupid high co-pays or limits on the number of "treatments" allowed.

Still, he and his wife made a very bad choice that they will pay for the rest of thier lives, regardless of what the court rules.

Tragic.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

You may be correct and weather he intended to save his daughter or not then the story is very sad. The only reason I questioned it is because the news article made it sounds as if the father did not know what was going on and his story kept changing.

Wood said he asked if anyone was still in the house, and Holt responded there wasn’t. Holt’s daughter Madeline said her sister was still in the house, but her father said she had left the day before, Wood said.
    If the father tried to save his daughter then he knew where she was so why would he say that she was not home?

Wood also said he offered Holt his cell phone so he could call for help, but Holt declined, saying he already had made the necessary calls.

Wood said he picked up the family about 11 : 15 p. m., but a sheriff’s dispatcher said the first report of the fire was made by Holt’s sister-in-law about 12 : 30 a. m. Nov. 10.
    Why would they wait to call?

I did not mean to slander them but these things made me suspicious of the incident. George, you are the experienced investigator and I am not, so I will take your word for it.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all...
    “I tried to get to Molly’s room and then there was so much smoke and so much flame. I heard Molly calling me, ‘ Daddy, I’m going to die. ’”
    Second of all...
    But Lloyd Holt said in his statement he believed Molly set the fatal fire herself.
    Third, unless the witness was taken out of context in the paper, he is expecting people to believe that he drove to the home of the people (apparently unsolicited), saw the house on fire, and drove away with no FD or PD on scene? I would love to see that cross-examination. He has "zero credibility" tatooed across his forehead.

My issue with your post is your assertion that this was an "extermination" when he wasn't charged with murder or arson and the facts of the case do not bear up to that level of scrutiny. Of course they made bad chioces. He probably did lie to the PD-so would most people in that situation. But that does not mean that he "exterminated" his daughter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is a story from today. No conviction for "extermination". He was convicted for the crimes he actually committed. This is a just verdict. He was treated more fairly by the jury than he was by you.
    Father Found Guilty In Chained Girl Trial

Conviction Upheld Against Woman In Child's Death

A Johnson County jury found Lloyd Lee Holt guilty of negligent homicide in his daughter Molly's death. He was also convicted of second degree false imprisonment.

A judge sentenced Holt to one year in the Johnson County jail, and a $2,000 fine.

Molly Holt was found dead in her bedroom, chained to her bed after a house fire.

With a host of supporters inside the courtroom, Lloyd Lee Holt received comfort from friends and family during his trial.

Last year Molly's mother, Theresa “Shelly” Holt, was convicted of manslaughter and false imprisonment charges. In her case, the defense showed that the restraint was necessary to protect Molly, as well as her two siblings.

This time, Lloyd Lee Holt's defense team hammered that same point, adding that the family reached out for help, but received little to none at all. Lloyd and Shelly were described as loving parents to their three children, who did the best they could.

Sheila Martinez, Lloyd’s sister, was inside the courtroom. She says, “Lloyd and Shelly did try to get help for Molly. She did show signs of autism. She has from the day she's been walking and talking."

During the trial, Holt's defense team contends that the 10-year-old had a history of aggressive behavior. Several teachers testified that Molly would push and hit other children. According to Principal Steve Ziegler, that behavior eventually got her kicked off the bus.

But the prosecution countered. Prosecuting Attorney David Gibbons pointed to the chains and padlocks several times during cross-examination and said the restraints were too excessive and caused a little girl to lose her life.

Martinez disagrees, adding the family loved Molly and that more needs to be done.

“Quite frankly, in my opinion, if more had been done, we wouldn't have a little girl that's gone today," she says.

The prosecution questioned their decision to home school Molly and why they'd use such measures to restrain their daughter, even alluding that the parents turned down help from the school.

Shelly Holt is currently serving a 14-year sentence in prison.

The couple claimed they had to restrain Molly because she had behavioral problems. She attacked her two younger siblings, attacked students and teachers at school and often was uncontrollable, Lloyd Holt said. The couple sought help from hospitals, counselors and school officials, but nothing worked, Lloyd Holt told Warren.
    Ritalin and therapy DOES have a place in child-rearing, chaining to a bed does not.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Just because that father "said" he tried to save her does not mean anything. I am sure the people you arrest for arson say they did not do it either. The only thing to go on here is the facts about when the FD was called etc.

Even though the child my have been out of control, I do not think chains were the way to go. This is a child not an animal. This is one of the reasons I made my comment.

George I am not trying to make anyone upset and I apologize if I did so, I was only trying to point out that something about the story sounded fishy. I admit that I used the wrong choice of words and I also admit that I was wrong and the father was not convicted of killing her so I’m sorry but you must remember that I am not an arson investigator and I am not trained to figure these things out like you are so my opinions will vary from yours.
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

And just to add one thing. Although the parents did not intentionally kill her, by chaining her to the bed, the parents were responsible for the death of that poor child. My heart still goes out to them as I am sure having to deal with a troubled child is the hardest thing imaginable but unfortunately their method of dealing with it was unsuccessful.
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I am not going to "yay" or "nay" this one. Too sad for words, in any case.

Just a point about restraint and "prisoner" responsibility. I have some training in prisoner restraint/detention (as do some other Esteemed Collegues, here in the Forums) and the only comments I will make will be in that regard.

I was trained that when you take some one as a prisoner, and for reasons of safety use restraints on that person, you are liable for said individuals life and safety as much as you are your own, and that of your team (if a team is present). The social aspects of this case aside for now, both parents are most certainly guilty of negligence on that specific point alone. Their actions or inactions regarding the personal safety to their daughter are specific enough. If nothing else they are both liable for that much. Which I think the courts have agreed.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell
    And just to add one thing. Although the parents did not intentionally kill her, by chaining her to the bed, the parents were responsible for the death of that poor child. My heart still goes out to them as I am sure having to deal with a troubled child is the hardest thing imaginable but unfortunately their method of dealing with it was unsuccessful.
    And they were both convicted of that. You are stating the obvious.

Forum Member

This is the opening of the story -

Lloyd Lee Holt knew his 10-year-old daughter was restrained in her bedroom the night she died in a house fire, but he insisted he didn’t know she was chained to her bed.
    But when asked by a neighbor -
    Holt’s daughter Madeline said her sister was still in the house, but her father said she had left the day before, Wood said.
    Left where?? Maybe after losing his daughter he was not coherernt - but its a weird thing to say.

I am not so sure I could chain any of my kids to the bed no matter how out of control they are. At any rate its a sad sad story.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Thread Information