Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: traffic tickets

Forum Member

Post traffic tickets

I had a question about the personal history questionnaire.

I am filling one out and have to put down when I got traffic tickets
    including parking tickets. I have never gotten a ticket while driving
    besides 5 parking tickets. I paid all of them off right away and they
    were never outstanding. This is the only blemish on my record and I
    have to be truthful about it. My question is...have you ever heard of
    someone being disqualified from the process because of parking tickets
    only?

Once I fill out this questionnaire, they either send a
    disqualification letter back to me eliminating myself from the process
    or they send an appt. for a polygraph to continue in the process.
    Like I mentioned above, this is the only blemish on this 11 page
    questionnaire. I have never been in any trouble with the police and
    have never gotten any type of ticket (besides these parking tickets).
    All five tickets took place in a timespan of about two years in
    college, in which I recently graduated.

advice would be appreciated

Thanks and stay safe

Forum Member

I can't imagine a department out there that disqualifies an applicant for a few parking tickets. I wouldn't want to work for a department that did anyhow.

It is my understanding that parking tickets, being a non-moving violation, are actually issued to the vehicle itself, not the driver. However it's the vehicle's registered owner that is ultimately responsible for their payment, regardless of who actually illegally parked the vehicle.

If you loan your vehicle to another person and the vehicle is ticketed, and they fail to pay the ticket, you are the person held liable. Even if you were unaware the violation ever occurred.

I do not believe any parking ticket, so long as the fine has been paid, will affect you in any way whatsoever.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Wow... parking tickets.

I guess they are going to great lengths to see how honest you will be, I suppose. Very interesting.

As for disqualifying you, for the reasons listed by my esteemed collegue from Tallahassee, I don't see how that is possible.

Good luck!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Parking tickets aren't usually considered getting a ticket as long as you paid them. Theyr're usually looking for moving violations that are considered a misdemeanor.

Captain Bob

MembersZone Subscriber

No warrants? No problem.

JUST TELL THE TRUTH!

MembersZone Subscriber

George's advice is right on the money. If you don't put them and they are traced back to the vehicle which is registered to you, you have intentionally withheld information. That is grounds for disqualification (being dishonest).

The next question I would expect to have to answer is WHY you had 5 parking tickets.

Paul Lepore

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    George's advice is right on the money. If you don't put them and they are traced back to the vehicle which is registered to you, you have intentionally withheld information. That is grounds for disqualification (being dishonest).

The next question I would expect to have to answer is WHY you had 5 parking tickets.

Paul Lepore
    Now that is a WHOLE different line of questioning. I was wondering the same thing myself.

Being a campus cop, let me ask if you received the parking tickets on campus or off campus? If they were received on campus, did the college/university have a "Police Department" or a "Security Department"? If the tickets were issues by the police, you need to record those since they are likely being tracked in that State's law enforcement computer system and are a matter of public recod. If they were issue by a security department, they are likely just kept in "in house" records that are protected by the Federal Education Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) making them records that cannot be released without your giving specific permission to do so.

In the latter case, it is often considered part of the 'learning experience' when you receive a parking ticket at college, so the matter is not anyone's business unless you make it their business. If you did not sign a FERPA release, I wouldn't even worry about them.

In either case, the usual time span for a parking record to be kept on file is two years. If any of the 5 violations are over 2 years old, I would not even bother mentioning them. If they surface during your interview, it is acceptable to tell them that you had not considered those violations because they were over two years old and were for minor offenses (unless you got one for parking in a "Handicapped" space). If the employer is going to knick-pick on that detail, you probably don't want to work there anyway.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I a couple of these tickets were "on campus" and a couple right off of campus lines...so they were the local city traffic enforcement not the police. The last ticket was from my permanent address back home (a couple of hours away) for parking on the street between 3-6am.

The questionnaire asks for ALL of the violations and tickets I have EVER gotten since I have been driving. I dont think I want to risk not putting these tickets down because I have to go through a polygraph to verify all my answers, even if they may be more than two years old.

As for WHY I have gotten five tickets, My excuses are...parking on or near campus is a very frustrating task with very few spots available. I had to settle for parking that was "timed" (not metered) and coming back from class before the time ran out. Another ticket I received was for parking in my own driveway with the tail end of my car over the sidewalk.

I have some confidence that this will not affect me because these are the only blemishes on my driving record. I have never gotten a ticket for anything else since I have been driving, only parking tickets. I have been driving for seven years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me tell you that everyone is an expert. I would be aware of free advice.

Poster wrote:
    “If they were issue by a security department, they are likely just kept in "in house" records that are protected by the Federal Education Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) making them records that cannot be released without your giving specific permission to do so.”

Pay particular attention to the last sentence. It reads:
    “Cannot be released without your giving specific permission to do so.”

You will sign away all of your rights. And for the sake of discussion there is no such thing as a sealed record.

For the sake of the discussion, you are one who believes you can hide something saying your record has been sealed or “expunged”, why would I hire someone who has a past so checkered that I cannot find out about him or her? Isn’t this the reason I do a background check in the first place?

A Fire Chief has numerous candidates to choose from, why would he or she take a chance on someone who was not forthcoming with information.

Lastly, the average candidate will not have any problem with a background examination. We’re not looking to eliminate the everyday person. It’s the one who has lived his or her life in a manner that could bring discredit to our fire department.

A good friend of mine says, “If you live your life with code and honor the gods will repay you.
    If you don’t live your life with code and honor the gods will repay you.”

In closing; would 5 parking tickets in and of themselves cost you a job? No way.

Would lying about or intentionally not disclosing 5 parking tickets cost you a job?

Absolutely!

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Last edited by BCLepore; 01-29-2006 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    Let me tell you that everyone is an expert. I would be aware of free advice.

Poster wrote:

Pay particular attention to the last sentence. It reads:
    “Cannot be released without your giving specific permission to do so.”

You will sign away all of your rights. And for the sake of discussion there is no such thing as a sealed record.
    Not to stir the pot too much, but having working with FERPA regulations for 20 years, I can tell you that they are a lot more particular about a student's educational file than they are about their criminal records. It is a federal offense to release FERPA protected records and comes with stiff penalties if the law is violated. They are not "sealed", they are "protected". Part of my job duties are to release records requested for background checks. When they arrive with the standard "release" form, we are only permitted to release information concerning a police investigation AND THAT IS IT. If they want information on an in-house investigation (and "Violation Notices" - the in-house version of a parking citation - are included in that), they have to submit a FERPA release form that goes through the Director's Office before we can be authorized to release the information.

Now, with that said, I can't speak for the institution of higher education that hoselayer21 attended, so it is possible that they may gamble and not follow the FERPA regulations. If they release his FERPA protected documents without his approval, it should be worth around $100K in damages.

The big picture is.. if you feel you are hiding something by not disclosing your old parking tickets from school, by all means you should include them to keep your conscious clear. When you take your polygraph you will be given the opportunity then to explain your old parking violations, which the polygrapher will likely tell you are of no concern if they are over 2 years old.

To put the "dot" on the "i"... his original question was, "have you ever heard of someone being disqualified from the process because of parking tickets only?" My answer to that is "NO".
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 01-29-2006 at 05:39 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I would also double check the question on the background packet... it usually says "moving violations" unless it says "including all non-moving and parking tickets" I wouldn't even really worry about parking tickets like Capt. Bob said.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice fellas

stay safe

hoselayer

Forum Member

Unfortunately, the city wants those included

I called the HR office last week to ask if parking tickets should be included...Of course she said..."Absolutely!"

Thread Information