Forum Member

Default How do you mark and inventory your SCBA bottles?

HI;
    I'm interested in finding out how you guys mark your SCBA BOTTLES and inventory them. What do you track besides the hydrostatic test dates? What do you use to stencil the tanks or is there a something else out there to do it better? Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Poochy
    HI;
    I'm interested in finding out how you guys mark your SCBA BOTTLES and inventory them. What do you track besides the hydrostatic test dates? What do you use to stencil the tanks or is there a something else out there to do it better? Thanks

Each of our cylinders are numbered with a large paint marker. We track hrdros and repairs.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

We do the same as Fireman4949 and also use the manufacture's serial number.

Forum Member

Big reflective numbers are affixed to the cylinder.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Forum Member

we use a bright orange spray painted stencil ...........we just write the number on the neck in black permanent marker starting @ #1.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

About the same as WeruJ1. Each station and their respective eq is color coded. SCBA's included. The bottle is also marked/tracked per a number assigned to the bottle.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Forum Member

Thanks guys, I was just wondering if anyone had a different view on how to number, inventory or keep some other aspect of the SBCA bottles. I do like the reflective number Idea but i guess that might get to be kinda expensive .....Thanks Guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

P-Touch labels with station number hyphenated with cylinder number (XX-01 etc). A master inventory sheet lists the serial number that corresponds to the affixed tracking number. We have Scott 4.5 fifty series backframes. The cylinder numbers are attached to the cylinder so when the BA's are in the brackets you can read the number of the cylinder through the "window" of the backframe.

Forum Member

Default tracking the bottles

we use a bar code on the bottles with a hand scanner to keep track of all bottles

Forum Member

Our system is similar to everyone else's here. we utilize reflective numbers on each bottle, and a fire department ID tag which has the inventoty number attached to it.

We have listed on the inventory data sheet on our software, the date the bottle was made, serial number, date put into service, manufacturer, sales company and rep, as well as any needed repairs to that specific bottle, cost of the bottle new. Since our bottles have no hydro test dates we always refer to the build dates to see when bottles are needing replaced in the future.

Works well for us so far.

STILL STANDINDG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

We used an engraver on our Scott Aluminum tanks to lightly etch the Department inventory number into/through the yellow paint.
    This number is specific to the piece of equipment. It makes inventory much easier.

The bottles are numbered (1 thru ???) larger with a large black "Marks-A-Lot" permanent marker. It's easy, cheap, and can be refrehed without trouble.
    The "hydro" date is stamped/engraved on the cylinder by the service doing the test.

Every tank is emtied and refilled with "fresh" air on a rotation of 2 months. I use a printed sheet at the cascade to keep up with when each is filled.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a stencil to spray paint a very large number on the cylinder. Started at #1. Whenever a cylinder is filled or other maintenance is done the firefighter filling out the paperwork just has to put down the cylinder # rather than trying to find the itty bitty serial number on the cylinder. We have a spreadsheet that lists each cylinders department # to the actual manufacturers serial #. It also lists stat dates etc... I have found that the paperwork actually gets completed better now that serial #'s don't need to be found and written, also eliminates the confusion of which of the sometimes many numbers on the cylinder is actually the serial #. If you'd like I can send you our spreadsheet and some pics of painted cylinders.

NOTE: We also use the same marking system on our cascade storage cylinders.
    Rick Gustad - Chief
    Platte Volunteer Fire Department
    www.plattevfd.com

Thread Information