Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Another UK FireFighters strike?

I found this on the headlines of a Scottish paper today. I really hope its not the case.

A NATIONWIDE fire strike could go ahead in March — but the Army may not be able to provide vital emergency cover.
    Firefighters across Britain are likely to take strike action because of a dispute over pension reforms.
    However, we understand that the Army, who provided emergency cover during previous fire strikes, have told the Government they will not be able to provide temporary cover — because military personnel are already stretched to the limit.
    Senior military and police circles have been informed of the Army’s position, as police officers will take charge of any emergency situation which arises from a strike of this nature.
    Defence Secretary John Reid announced that more than 5000 British troops will be deployed in Afghanistan and along with ongoing operations in Iraq, Dr Reid admitted this will leave the Army overstretched.
    With operations in Iraq, Dr Reid admitted the mission to Afghanistan will leave the Army overstretched.
    At home, a fire strike could last up to two weeks and with no-one to provide cover, lives could be lost.
    Emergency
    The dispute is centred on Government pension reforms. From April 1, new recruits to the fire service will have to work for 40 years to get a get a full pension, rather than 30 as at present.
    Last night Kenny Ross, Scottish Secretary of the Fire Brigades Union, said an emergency conference on February 16 will decide whether to have a ballot for strike action.
    He added, “If we go ahead with a ballot, and the outcome is to opt for a strike, the likelihood would be we’d call dates prior to April 1.
    “The recommendation from the executive of the FBU is for discontinuous action, which can mean anything from an hourly strike up to a week or two weeks.”
    Mr Ross said every possible avenue would be exhausted before strike action is taken.
    But he added, “For firefighters to provide some kind of contingency cover is not strike action. I know this is a very emotional issue because of the work we do, but if we’re out on strike, we’re out on strike. That’s it.
    “It’s not the responsibility of individual firefighters to provide cover, it lies with the fire authority and the Government.
    “If the Army aren’t going to provide cover, that’s an issue for them (the fire authority and the Government), not for us.”
    Brian Sweeney, Chief Officer of Strathclyde Fire and Rescue, said he supported the campaign against the pension changes, but said that support would be withdrawn the moment firefighters go on strike.
    Safety
    He said, “I can’t support any action that would threaten the safety of anyone in our community. The FBU must find a way of pursuing the rights and interests of its members without resorting to strike action.
    “The Army is tightly stretched, with forces in Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan. Therefore there’s a question mark over whether it could provide fire cover in the event of a strike.
    “This is all the more reason firefighters must think carefully before they take action which could threaten lives.”
    A spokesman for the Scottish Executive denied that the Army had refused to provide cover but declined to go into details over contingency plans, which he said were still being discussed.
    “We are aware there is a possibility of industrial action in March. We hope that doesn’t come about. However if strike action does take place we are in discussions with all key stake holders, including the Army, about arrangements to handle the strike.”
    A spokeswoman for the MoD said, “No strike action has been called yet and it’s too early to talk about the contingency plans.” Sunday paper. I really hope its not the case.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I gotta ask this: are these guys on GLUE?

There must be more to this than just displeasure regarding
    a dispute over pension reforms.
    ?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you see the part where it stated they are raising the number of years needed to work from 30 to 40 years to collect the pension. Can't really say I blame them considering most departments here in the states hover around the 20 year mark.

That almost makes it impossible for the guys that stay at the firefighter level their entire career. If a guy gets on when he's 30 and doesn't get promoted he's looking at having to hump hose through his 60's or leave without his pension. This is how I understood the article to read, but I don't know how their pension system is set up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by martinm
    “This is all the more reason firefighters must think carefully before they take action which could threaten lives.”
    Shouldn't the government think carefully before they take action which could threaten lives? Why is it up to the firefighters alone to avoid this strike? 40 years to get to full pension is BS.

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

I would imagine that there is still alot of BAD BLOOD from the last strike a few years ago. You fellows were shafted then and they are trying to shaft you now... the story is always the same.

Fair Pay for Firefighters!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Just a little more info.....

Firstly, I pray to god this doesn't end up in a National strke again. I still feel sick when I remember the last...

But!!! They are taking the **** out of us....All lGoverment employee's are having a new pension scheme come April 1st.... for the Police, Nurses & Teachers....new entrants go on a new scheme, those already serving, even if they joined on March 31st this year get to stay on the original scheme.

The Firefighters?? No, we all get to stay on the current scheme, but they are not protecting it like the Police nurses and teachers...if you are 50 before 2013 you are OK, if you are not, then you will have to work EXTRA YEARS FOR NO BENEFIT!!!!

In my case, I joined in 1987 aged 18, in 2013 I will have done almost 27 years but I will only be 45...I would have had to have done 32 years (2 extra for be being 18 at joining) and I could have retired aged 50 in 2018. Now I have to work extra years until I am 55...giving me 37 years service, although I only had to do and have paid 11% of my salary for retire at 50.

I have spent 19 years firefighting in the inner city, I may get promoted higher, but would still like to stay in the inner city...WTF will I be good for after 37 years of this sh1t??? I may as well retire and jump straight into my grave.

Meanwhile, a cop, a nurse or a teacher all who are younger than me and joined their profession after me...they will be off enjoying their retirement while I am still stuck outside burning tenemant blocks in the middle of a January night!!!! (Like I was early this morning!!!)

We have been told "That your jobs aren't as dangerous as a Police Officer" (Who we have always been compared with for pensions) Despite the fact that 5 firefighters were killed in the last year compared to 2 Cops!!!!

All of those deaths are tragic, but don't dare undremine the life of my Brothers. The UK Government hate us for daring to ask to be paid the same as Cops back in 2002/3 we are now paying the full price and the anti union media will no doubt push the story....Firefighters strike for cushy pension while the public work until 65...not mentioning the injuries, the comparative pensions of Police and other public servants.

Jesus...this country is F***ed!!!! I hate it here....
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by martinm
    He said, “I can’t support any action that would threaten the safety of anyone in our community. The FBU must find a way of pursuing the rights and interests of its members without resorting to strike action.
    Isn't it funny how it is always the workers responsibility to avoid a strike? I can think of a very good way to avoid this strike - quit trying to screw the firefighters! The responsibility lies with the people trying to change the rules to the detriment of firefighters, not with the guys trying to earn a living in an already dangerous job. If you do go on strike, I'm sure your elected representatives who alowed you to be taken advantage of will be more than willing to crawl the halls and risk their lives in your place. What a joke!

Default Got any extra signs?

Airfare is cheap right now from Chicago to London.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Airfare is cheap right now from Chicago to London.
    Count me in! Who doesn't love walking around a barrel in London in January!

Thanks for the update Steve. I think I understand at least some of whats going on now. Our Armed Forces just started something similar last May, regarding pensions and retirement, specifically extending retirement to age 60, for the "new" guys. Us "Old Geezers" have the option to change right up until our 54th B-day, as 55 was the old retirement age. Years of service plays into it all too. I plan on dipping out at 25yrs (2012) and age 44.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope all works out in the end.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    Shouldn't the government think carefully before they take action which could threaten lives? Why is it up to the firefighters alone to avoid this strike? 40 years to get to full pension is BS.
    The government doesn't give a crap, obviously
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

Thumbs down

I'm not a union man as everybody knows, but this really draws a vacum.

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

Been there... done that... in Wiltshire during the last strike. We had a great time... considering the circumstances. One of the best group of guys that I know.

I'm not a union man as everybody knows, but this really draws a vacum.
    Different system... different world...
    Same Job... Same hazards...
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    You know any of you Guys will always have a place to stay if you decide to come by.

Sadly the Pound/Dollar exchange works very much in favour of me travelling your way, but what the hell, you wouldn't pay for much anyway.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

Forum Member
    Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Cool Post#6

Steve -your last sentence in post#6, has been true ever since the Brixton Riots--now you know why I pulled the pin 25 yrs ago.

Good luck to all the boys in the job--will the last Englishman leaving the country please turn out the lights?

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom
    Steve -your last sentence in post#6, has been true ever since the Brixton Riots--now you know why I pulled the pin 25 yrs ago.

Good luck to all the boys in the job--will the last Englishman leaving the country please turn out the lights?
    My Step-Dad left in 67, and even when I talked with him on the weekend (on an unrelated topic) he reasserted his feelings for why he left.

Thread Information