Thread: Look The Part!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Look The Part!

Look the part!

I ran into a bunch of aspiring firefighters today. I was surprised to see the amount of people who do not meet our dress code. The biggest offense is long side burns. I understand it is now in vogue for people to have them long, but our uniform policy clearly states they cannot be below the ear lobe.

Another is the length of your hair. Again, most departments’ hair standards are the same. Lastly, the growth below the bottom lip is not allowed, nor is a goatee. If you want the job I would look the part NOW.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

yeah cuz god forbid you have long side burns someone you maybe saving one day may refuse your help cuz you look like a hippie. what a character this guy is.

Forum Member

It doesn’t matter what you and you buddies think is a good look and cool. You are being evaluated, for the most part, by people the ages of you parents. If you mom says your hair is too long, the board will probably think so also.

You want to look like you could step right into one of their uniforms and be ready to go, not look like you need to go onto one of those TV makeover shows first.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    707 869 1330

MembersZone Subscriber

It’s really simple. Yes, there are firefighters with long side burns, long hair, ear rings and goatees. The message here is that if you are in the hiring process you had better look the part. I can assure you that this will have an impact on whether or not the fire chief will hire you.

If you notice I did not say anything about what kind of firefighter you are if you have tattoos or long hair, simply that it may affect your chances of getting hired.

Yes, I agree that in 20-years in the fire service I have never had a patient complain about the fact that I may have been wearing an "unapproved" t-shirt or my hair was too long. Yes, you are right people who are really in need of our help don't care what we look like nor do they care about the length of our hair.....but the fire chief does.........

Good luck and stay safe!

Paul Lepore
    Last edited by BCLepore; 01-29-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fdproby
    yeah cuz god forbid you have long side burns someone you maybe saving one day may refuse your help cuz you look like a hippie. what a character this guy is.

Fortunately, we don't have to conform to your standards of behavior or appearance. The serious candidate will work his or her heart out to show everyone they come across that they are the right person for the job. That means projecting the "All-American" image whether you like it or not.

I had no issues whatsoever during my background check, because when the investigator spoke to the neighbors in my apartment complex, many of whom I had never met, and most of whom did not even speak English well enough for me to have a conversation with them, they had the impression that I was a clean-cut, responsible young man who had always been polite and friendly.

They were excited for me because they thought I was right for the job; I wasn't a shady-looking hooligan who they felt they may not be able to trust.

While BCLepore may indeed be quite a character, you can be certain that on this issue he represents the VAST majority of the professional fire service. If you don't buy in to the militaristic expectations of appearance, you are welcome to find another career path. The impression you make speaks volumes about you, and fire dept.s have the liberty to bring only like-minded individuals into the fold.

Best of luck to you,

Chris
    Professional Firefighter

Forum Member

I Know alot of firefighters on the job that have long hair or tattoos or come to work without creases in their pants. Guys wear shorts here how do you guys feel about that? these same guys are without doubt some of the best firefighters in the country in the biggest dept. Just keep this in the back of your head just because you look the part does not make you a good firefighter.I would follow the guys i just mentioned anyday.I seen alot of guys all decked ouy with every badge or collar pin you can imagine on them and they sucked at doing the job.If all your dept. got to do is worry about what you and your guys look like then you and your dept. has too much time on their hands. The end.

Rabble rouser

Don't feed the trolls.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

MembersZone Subscriber

*Stands waving his hands " Move along folks , nothing to see here! Move along folks, nothing to see here !"

Some will never get the point, some will. fdproby either does not get it, ( or probably doesnt care and wants to argue to argue)
    There are those of us out here who do get it, and DO listen to obviously good advice.

So Once again, "Move along folks...."
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

It is possible to get hire with longer hair and sideburns, but it would be like going up to bat with two stikes against you already. Most of the people you see do those things after their hired. But this thread also shows it is possible to get hired if you failed bonehead english.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    nrtc@sonic.net
    707 869 1330

Forum Member

The thing is FFighteRob Is a ****. See I can spell that right C-u-n-t. ALL you wanna do is sell your bull**** product and it's a joke. Do not fall for this bull**** scam of a product. Best advice to candidates be yourself.Thats who they judge you by and who the guys in the firehouse will get to like and know. Follow the guides by these guys and you will be eating dinner at the firehouse by yourself like FFighteRob does. LOL. see ya later loser.

Forum Member

your right pvfire I will take my comment back
    Last edited by Firefighter2230; 01-30-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Forum Member

Every department has their "FDproby". You all know what I'm talking about. At POC departments, theyhave the guy who doesn't have a job, but makes every call. Or the guy who has 2 jobs, plus works POC shifts to cover the 3 child support cases he has.

Full timers have the arrogant know it alls on Red shift and for some reason, most people that work Red shift transfer out after 12 months. Yet, this guy has worked Red shift for the last 10 years.

Guys like this used to amaze me with their idiotodic comments. Now I use them for entertainment purposes only.

While these two BC "sell this crappy product", it only sells because of the idiots out there that don't have common sense.

Yes, I'm sure that the BC makes a couple of extra nickles a year by selling/pushing his product. This is America and he can and will do that.

If you don't like his advise, don't listen to it.

Forum Member

class act FDproby!

This forum is not for name calling or other childish games. If you disagree, and want to reply to a post, post something that actually has a good argument behind it and you can start a good conversation and make some good points. You might even learn something!

MembersZone Subscriber

Move along folks nothing to see here !

Move along fol....... AWWW heck with it,

JUST FYI I told y'all !
    I.A.C.O.J. "The Cork"

Forum Member

Default a mind is a terrible thing to waste

fdproby,
    I’ve had homeless people yell insults at me from the **** smelling doorways that they live in that have affected me more than your off color remarks. I have helped people get hired and do what I can, but when it comes to an idiot that is low class and uses vulgarity in a forum like this, you show the world what you are made of. I bet if you had your real name and the department you might work for listed you wouldn’t have even posted. You are a coward hiding behind the anonymity of the web. You can look up the big words.

Good Luck to all, Capt Rob
    nrtc@sonic.net
    www.myfireinterview.com
    707 869 1330

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    Look the part!

I ran into a bunch of aspiring firefighters today. I was surprised to see the amount of people who do not meet our dress code. The biggest offense is long side burns. I understand it is now in vogue for people to have them long, but our uniform policy clearly states they cannot be below the ear lobe.

Another is the length of your hair. Again, most departments’ hair standards are the same. Lastly, the growth below the bottom lip is not allowed, nor is a goatee. If you want the job I would look the part NOW.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    As this dress code is not universal throughout the fire service, is your dress code publicly posted information available to the candidates coming in for their interviews?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Fdproby,
    While Rob and I often violently disagree, he is truly out to help people get hired. We may go about it in a far different manner but accusing someone of being a loner is downright wrong.

While he won’t respond to your insults with his qualifications, I’ll do it for him. He is a Captain on a very squared away Northern California fire department.

Yes, there are thousands of firefighters across the country with tattoos, long sideburns and long hair. They are awesome, capable people to which I trust my life. The intent of MY post was to point out to those who ASPIRE to be in our shoes that they are graded by their appearance. If it impedes their pursuit of getting hired, shouldn’t we tell them?

If you had a friend who was interviewing for your fire department, wouldn't you tell him to get a haircut or to trim his moustache?

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BCLepore
    If you had a friend who was interviewing for your fire department, wouldn't you tell him to get a haircut or to trim his moustache?

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    They should look neat, that is a given. But how far should they go? I know two senior officers in our department that routinley sit on our interview board. One of the guys expects everyone to have a flattop you could land a jet on, the other guy trusts no applicant that has a close haircut who has not served in the military. So neat hair is a given, above the collar should be a given, beyond that, it is going to be a crap shoot.

Most guys that are going in for the interviews are under the age of 25 and have no reason to have a mustache in the first place. This ain't 1978. I will agree, that crap should be shaved. If it took them a while to grow it, they should not have it in the first place, and if it grows in fast and thick they can grow it back after the process is over.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

if you want a job in todays competitive market you will look the part. There is no room in the fire service for lone rangers.

Forum Member

I am 20 year old with a full mustache that I've had for a few years. It does not go below my bottom lip. I will be applying for Columbia Fire Department. Should I shave this off or will it be ok to leave it. That is the only questionable thing about my appearance.

Forum Member

Default Mustache

When in doubt shave it off.

Forum Member

It's really very simple. If you have busted your ***** trying to get a job in the fire service by jumping through all the necessary hoops, why would you be so arrogant and stupid as to let the possibility of the career of a lifetime hinge on a damn haircut or a pair of lamb chops?!

Grow the crap back later if your department's policies will allow it. Otherwise, consider it a small (very small, in fact) price to pay. It's only hair for crying out loud!

Is long hair or a pair of sideburns more important to you than this career? If it is, we don't want you!

If you feel that there is something about your appearance that will prevent you from being hired, FIX IT! And quit bitchin'!

If I thought it would have bettered my chances of being hired, I'd have shaved my whole body! (I am however, glad that was not necessary. )

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Well thank you for the advice. I had never considered shaving it until I read the post but I am going to now to better my chances.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by svfd23878
    Well thank you for the advice. I had never considered shaving it until I read the post but I am going to now to better my chances.
    Oh great! Now your wife/girlfriend will be hunting us down for "making you do it"!

Seriously though, I am a firm believer in presenting the best possible image when trying to get hired, no matter where that may be. That includes not only your qualifications, but personality and appearance as well.

Good luck!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

I actually agree with much of what FDPROBY wrote. Unfortunately he ruined his credibility with a personal attack.

Fdproby,
    Your contributions as a back seat firefighter with a lot of experience will benefit everyone. I encourage you to continue posting as you see things from your perspective. You do have some good insight.

FDProby wrote:
    “I Know alot of firefighters on the job that have long hair or tattoos or come to work without creases in their pants.”
    Many departments allow long hair and tattoos. I will tell you thet my department JUST implemented a tattoo policy. If your tattoo shows it must be covered either by a flesh- covered bandage or by a long sleeve uniform shirt.

Here’s my editorial:
    We have a 500 firefighters on my department. This policy affects probably 10%, virtually all of them are the younger generation. One in particular is pretty close to having full sleeves. I can tell you that he is extremely capable in his job. I never have any issues about his abilities. In short the guy is awesome. I also have a friend who is a firefighter in the bay area who has multiple tattoos and one of those dog bones through the back of his neck. Both of them are welcome in my home anytime. I have a tremendous amount of respect and admiration for them. They are my friends.

This was not a debate over what is right or wrong, it is simply to open the eyes of the candidates. While the standards may be more lax in other areas of the country, they are very specific on the left coast.

“Guys wear shorts here how do you guys feel about that? these same guys are without doubt some of the best firefighters in the country in the biggest dept.”

One of the departments to the south of us allow shorts and I think it’s a great idea. I would love to see it.

Personally I don’t care for t-shirts in public. I know many departments allow it. Mine doesn’t and I think we look more professional in a uniform shirt and badge.

Just keep this in the back of your head just because you look the part does not make you a good firefighter.I would follow the guys i just mentioned anyday.

I couldn’t agree more (see above)

I seen alot of guys all decked ouy with every badge or collar pin you can imagine on them and they sucked at doing the job.

I know the type. I too see it from where I sit.

If all your dept. got to do is worry about what you and your guys look like then you and your dept. has too much time on their hands.

I disagree with this one. The community determines our pay, benefits and retirement. If they see us as being unprofessional and a bunch of Keystone firefighters, our pay will reflect it. If, on the other hand they believe we are professional and capable our standard of living will increase.

Stay safe,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief

Thread Information