MembersZone Subscriber

Default Can you be too short?

I'm trying to become a firefighter and am only 5'6" ( i'm a male ) Is this too short? I've heard that there is not really any height restrictions to be a firefighter, but will being this short hurt my chances when they meet me in an interveiw for example?

Forum Member

i honestly wouldn't think so, personally anyways...my cousin is an engineer in san deigo and she might be 5'4''. you should not have to worry about your height as long as you have everything else in line( i.e. emt, paramedic, ff, and experience). you should be good to go. good luck man!

Bear

MembersZone Subscriber

Medicbear gives great advice. I personally work with people who are no taller that 5'6" and are great firefighters. I can only imagine how good they would be if they were regulation size (Just kidding but I couldn't resist!).

I heard a great quote
    "It's not the size of the man in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the man."

Control what you can control. Become the best, most qualified candidate you can be and the rest will take care of itself.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Default Show them what you got!

Rick started testing with his big city dream department 19 months ago with 4500 other candidates. Things finally made it to the chiefs oral. He had all his ducks in a row. He heard after his oral that one of the panel members said if all the candidates today could be like Rick, were going to have a great day. The job offer came conditional on the medical and psych.

The results for the final psych test were due out the following Monday and calls would be made. Monday came and went. Just hold tight and dont panic. When he finally called he found out the HR gal had gone on a weeks vacation and the envelope was sitting on her desk. Several days passed after her return. Nothing. Everything imaginable went through Ricks head. Rick and his wife experienced every symptom of stress.

Out of the blue on the Thursday before Christmas the phone rings. He got the call! All fears disappeared followed by screams and shouting. Rick was number one by a bunch of points.

Rick is five foot two inches and weighs 118 pounds!

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

I would worry more about the question, "can a candidate be too fat"?

5'6 really isn't all that bad. You'll be able to stand completely straight in the back of the AMBO. You'll have an easier time crawling through alot of SCBA maze trailers.

Your lack of self esteem shows with asking a question like this. That's something that can be easily corrected.

I suggest that you sit down and right a list of all the things that you CAN do because you're 5'6. You have to have confidence in yourself homie!

Forum Member

Default I am 5'6"

I am also a small guy in the testing process. I have accepted the fact that I am not going to grow anymore and this is the person that I am. When I started volunteering I was a bit intimidated by being a short guy, but that wore off really easily. I am 5'6" and weigh about 140lbs. I can honestly tell you that every time that I test for a city, I dont even think about my height being a factor. I have seen many firefighters that are my size and smaller. Dont be intimidated by ff's that are bigger than you! The right city will hire you if you keep on trying. Dont give up. Stay in shape and build up a littel muscle to make up for your height. Thats what I did.

Hope this is encouraging

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks guys

Thanks for the support guys. My height is not a huge issue for me, but its something that has always stuck in the back of my mind (it doesn't help that my brothers say im too short). I'll focus on being the best firefighter I can be, and hopefully i will be hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

Height doesnt matter much in becoming a firefighter as long as you can physically do the job. What I would be more concerned about is the little tiny crawl spaces and attics that your crew will no doubtly stick you in. Personally I would like to have a tall guy on my crew to reach high places and a little guy to get in the tight spots.

There is a place and job for everyone on a crew its up to the CO to use their personnell to their best ability.

Good luck and keep us posted.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Smaller Can Be Faster

I am also 5'6" and I can advance an attack line faster then any other person on my engine. Don't talk about what you can't do, talk about what you can do, Have faith!

MembersZone Subscriber

Be glad. I'm 6'3", probably 6'6" with a helmet on. Let me tell you it takes a beating! I may need to be corrected, but I believe that it is against some law to decriminate against a person because of height, either too short or too tall unless that person cannot perform essential job functions because of their size.
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default never to small

Arsenic

I work with a brother on my department that is 5'4". He is a great firefighter and I dont think height is a factor. It is often good to have a short guy on the job. When its time to go down into that old dirt basement with those 5'5" celings I 6'3" am glad for that 5'4" brother.

Hope all works out for you. Dont loose sight of your dreams.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

Arsenic: I think you would be really useful around the station for some things like balancing coffee cups on your head, and using your head for a command post. Seroiusly- being short in the fire service ahs many advantages as a lot of work is in confined spaces. Don't sell yourself short (oops).

Thread Information