MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up afg ext. equip.?

My department applied for the rescue tool system through CEDAP. If unsuccessful we are going to try for extrication equip. in this years AFG.We currently have a 25 year old Kinman Tool, varous hand tools and wood cribbing. We are located along a Interstate highway and a significant portion of our non-EMS calls are MVAs. My question is what should we apply for? We don't what to request too much and hurt our chances.

My current narrative states:
    We are seeking funding for 30-extrication jumpsuits ($9,000.00), 1-air lifting bag kit (5,900.00), 1- 28 spreader ($ 5,800.00), 1- cutter ($5,100.00), 1-two tool simultaneous operation pump ($5,800.00), 2-30 extension hoses ($1,100.00), 30-extrication gloves ($1,200.00), 2-portable generator lights ($3,600.00), 1-push-pull ram with accessories ($3,100.00), 1-vehicle stabilization kit ($2,800.00), 1-air hammer kit ($1,500), 1-composite cribbing kit ($2,200.00), 2-rescue chain kits ($1,400.00) and 2 battery operated reciprocating saws ($400.00), totaling $48,900.00.

We were awarded new PPE in 2001, so I am wondering if the jumpsuit request is excessive? Anything else we should eliminate? Also are we leaving anything out?

Thanks for any input.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think you have to step back and look at the needs assessment. Are the extrication suits and gloves needed? In other words do I need this equipment (clothing) to do my job. Is the clothing a want or luxury? This clothing would be nice to have, but it is not critical to do the job.

I think it's more a luxury than a need (my opinion). Structural PPE works fine at extrications. I think you should concentrate on the extrication equipment and remove the suits and gloves from the narrative.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I agree with bugle based on the above info, and also recommend taking his advice on the needs assessment. Depending on staffing, call volume and other numbers, since structural PPE doesn't meet the other NFPA standards for rescue or EMS PPE, although it is adequate, it's not the right stuff for the right job. But if you won't be using it that often based on some numbers, it might be the right stuff, but you're not the right department for it. Then again, most extrication jumpsuits aren't NFPA compliant either.

Also look at the matching funds you'd need compared to the costs of some of the items. You're saying as rural that you'd be willing to spend ~$2,500 to match this, but not $400 for the two saws on your own? Even though you have the money? They can't be that important if you take that perspective. Which the reviewers will.

Otherwise, looks like a fine project.

Good luck - Brian

Forum Member

JWFisher-

I am in agreement with the prior two threads regarding asking for Extrication PPE along with the Tools. We have assisted some departments with getting both on one grant, but it is easier to focus on one more than the other. Structural PPE will more than suffice in extrications and also keep your FF's safe. I have a couple of successful extrication narratives that you are welcome to have. Feel free to e-mail me: dinges88@hotmail.com and I will forward them to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you all for your input, very helpful.

Fish

Thread Information