Forum Member

Default West Chicago Fire - victim fatalities

Not sure if anyone saw or heard about this yet...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

Forum Member

In case any of you aren't Chicago Tribune subscribers.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Brother, sister die in blaze at house
    Parents are injured in West Chicago fire

By Jason George
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published January 30, 2006

A fire quickly swept through a West Chicago house Sunday afternoon, killing a young brother and sister and injuring their parents.

The fire, which eventually involved fire companies from 11 municipalities and districts and shut down Metra's Union Pacific West line for more than two hours, was reported by a passerby in the 100 block of South Aurora Street just after 2 p.m., West Chicago Fire Chief Ron Ackerman said.

When firefighters arrived at the single-family home, they quickly learned two tragic facts: The small Victorian house was engulfed in flames and smoke, and two small children remained on the home's second floor, Ackerman said.

Firefighters, who reached the wooden home's second floor via a ladder, were able to get the boy and girl out of a window and take them and their parents by ambulance to Central DuPage Hospital in Winfield.

The children, who were identified as Natali Alanis, 7, and her brother, Noe, 3, were pronounced dead in the hospital, according to West Chicago Police Cmdr. Bruce Malkin. The parent's injuries were minor, he said.

Officials had not determined the fire's cause Sunday evening, but witnesses and West Chicago Mayor Mike Fortner said they had heard that a burning candle had been tipped, setting the home ablaze.

Fire officials would only say that the fire is being investigated by the West Chicago Fire and Police Departments, as well as the DuPage County Fire Investigation Task Force and the state fire marshal's office.

The Union Pacific train tracks were shut down because firefighters had to stretch water hoses over them to reach the house, Ackerman said.

The home's location near the tracks and at the intersection of West Washington Street meant that it was one of the town's oldest houses, possibly built during the 19th Century, Fortner said.

In the last several decades the neighborhood had become home to many Mexican-American families--including the children's parents, said Greg Fichter, a neighbor.

"They were phenomenal, great people. I couldn't ask to know better people," he said by telephone while tending to his crying daughter, Alice, who was in the 2nd grade with Natali at West Chicago's Pioneer Elementary School.

Fichter and Fortner both said the children's mother worked as a teacher's aide in a kindergarten class at Turner Elementary School, also in West Chicago. Fichter said the couple did not have any other children.

"It is really a tragic loss," Fortner said. "The firefighters were right on the scene within two minutes of getting the call--and they got those babies out alive--but it was just really unfortunate."

Forum Member

I did see this terrible tragedy on the news. It reinforces the need to reach out to the Spanish-speaking community and get the fire safety message out to it.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah heard it on IFERN when I wa son stand-by sun. What a horrible thing to have happen!!! my hats off to WEGO for trying thier hardest!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    I did see this terrible tragedy on the news. It reinforces the need to reach out to the Spanish-speaking community and get the fire safety message out to it.
    I still haven't caught all the details. From news reports this is what I have heard.

-WEGO was on the scene in less then 90 seconds after the tone went off.
    -17 departments responded

Was it really the language barrier that was the big hang up? Just curious...

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

My buddy who is a medic was there worked one of the codes He is pretty distraught!!! I send my condlences to the family!!!

Forum Member

The language barrier is an issue when it comes to getting the message across. There have been some very tragic fires lately around Chicagoland involving non-English speaking members of the community. I do not know all the particulars of this incident. I am speaking as someone who follows fire deaths across the regioin.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah I would definatly say that a language barrier can make it difficult to find out info and what exactly is going on

Forum Member

Not sure if you guys have seen them or not, but I saw at Kale's in Wheaton they have a little pocket book of medical/firefighter questions to ask in spanish.

I believe the book is like 10 bucks and will fit inside the front pocket shirt of your uniform.

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The1andOnly
    Not sure if you guys have seen them or not, but I saw at Kale's in Wheaton they have a little pocket book of medical/firefighter questions to ask in spanish.

I believe the book is like 10 bucks and will fit inside the front pocket shirt of your uniform.
    Yeah come to think of it...when I worked for a private ambulance service we had them in our rig. Ours was mostly medical terms though.

Thread Information