Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Please forgive me, some more quint questions:D

http://www.e-one.com/tradition_hp75.asp

"E-ONE is the only manufacturer to build a 75' aerial wide enough to accomodate a stokes basket in the fly section. "

Question#1. Has this ever been enough of a factor/ issue to affect a purchasing decision?

Question #2- how many people have lowered a stokes down an aerial?

Forum Member

This is about as important as the price of swiss cheese and its effects on the morale of the workers after lunch who are building your truck.

If you expect to do a lot of rescue, buy a platform truck with provisions for PROPERLY securing a stokes!

Jon

how much do you have to use it to justify going from a stick to a platform?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by pfd3501
    http://www.e-one.com/tradition_hp75.asp

"E-ONE is the only manufacturer to build a 75' aerial wide enough to accomodate a stokes basket in the fly section. "

Really? I seem to recall doing just that with our Pierce 75'.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

The pierce aerials I now of would not be able to have a stokes basket fit inside their fly section with the basket like it would be with a patient in it. Now, if you put it on its side, it'll fit inside anybodies aerial.

As for the comment of buying a platform if you want to use a stokes basket, that is not a good selling point for platforms. Justify to your governing body that you need a platform for $90,000.00 or more dollars above the cost of the straight stick because you might use the stokes basket once in 6 or 7 years. Instead buy the aerial you need and add the stokes pulleys and rigging (brake bar, ropes, anchors, etc.). It'll do the job all day long.

Not bashing, just an opinion.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Station 2, I was alluding to that - the justification for adding a platform just for stokes use?

And from what I've heard (no personal experience), but while a scope may raise and lower its basket fairly rapidly, it is a little more involved with a ladder?

And what if you had to snake the ladder through obstacles? And if you had to return for more pts?

This picture may be a pose, but I was trying to get an idea of how much of a consideration this is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by pfd3501; 02-01-2006 at 10:26 AM. Reason: to add: this is probably a "posed picture"

MembersZone Subscriber

How much of an issue is the use of a stokes basket in determining if you buy a straight stick or platform?

Very small.

If you have other justifications for a platform (increased GPM flows necessary for target hazards, the ability to place an entire roof crew in one aerial movement, the need for it to compliment other existing aerial device types, ability to move elderly occupants of buildings, etc.) then the stokes basket issue is another reason for getting the platform.

If the stokes basket issue is the only reason to get the platform, then that fact can also hurt you as it is, in and of itself, not enough in my opinion to justify $90,000.00 more dollars.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Default E-One Rubbish

The Sutphen SL75 has a fly section that will accomodate a Stokes basket lying flat on its back. You could slide it down the rungs without ever needing to tilt the basket. Been there, done that on a demo. I love how some manufacturers put pure rubbish out there with out checking the facts.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

I have to agree with Larry, purchasing a platform or any other truck for the sole purpose of lowering a stokes basket is a huge waste of $$$.

If sending a stokes basket down the fly was a major issue, then don't you think the other top apparatus manufactures would have taken this into consideration and made all their sticks wide enough to fit a stokes basket and not just some of them? This is just a simple marketing ploy by E-One who sees an opportunity to sell by telling you they have some advantage over the others.
    Last edited by jmitchell; 02-01-2006 at 01:03 PM.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I would hope that the stokes is an additional reason used to move to a platform, not the only reason. As Larry pointed out their a several advantages, also some detractors that must be weighed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wow

The reason they show a stokes basket "INSIDE" the handrails of the 75' ladder is to show that the ladder sections of an aluminum ladder are MUCH wider and higher than that of a steel ladder. It is safer to move a patient inside the handrails rather than on top of them. Yes you wouldnt use this very often if at all but you can do it safely in an E-One HP75. Also look at other ladders safety factors, E-One's is 2.5 to 1 vs most others 2 to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415
    The reason they show a stokes basket "INSIDE" the handrails of the 75' ladder is to show that the ladder sections of an aluminum ladder are MUCH wider and higher than that of a steel ladder. It is safer to move a patient inside the handrails rather than on top of them. Yes you wouldnt use this very often if at all but you can do it safely in an E-One HP75. Also look at other ladders safety factors, E-One's is 2.5 to 1 vs most others 2 to 1.
    I do have to agree with jake that the aluminum ladder is much wider than a steel one and yes it is safer to go inside the rails rather than over but still the point of the original question was if this one thing alone was enough to sway ones decision when purchasing a ladder which it is not.

You may want that feature of being able to take a basket down the inside rails of the fly section but if you find out what best suits the needs of your department comes with a steel ladder, then I would suggest you go for that rather than basing your decision on the stokes basket feature alone.
    Last edited by jmitchell; 02-01-2006 at 04:58 PM.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Talking Sutphen

P.S. Jake -

Every Sutphen aerial is rated at 2.5 to 1.
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sutphen Safety Factor !

Sutphen safety factor is 3:1 on the new Sutphen SL75 as well as their platforms. Pubished data and listed on www.sutphen.com

Not trying to throw mud either way, just the facts. The way I view it is the department personnel have to be comfortable with either a ladder or platform that serves their purpose. Unfortunately, many budgets get in the way.

Take Care !

MembersZone Subscriber

Without getting into an "E-One is better than a Pierce" or "Sutphen is better than LTI" debate, which this thread is not about, the marketing used by E-One in this case is no different than other manufacturers marketing. Pierce markets the hell out of their super wide and big square footage platforms, Smeal talks about their blue rung lighting, etc. It is not unexpected for a maker to push their unique or exceptional capabilities. E-One, in this case, pushes their aerial width which is a nice feature. No big deal. Everyone markets their products. If they didn't, they wouldn't be in business.

As mentioned too, their are disadvantages to certain types of rigs. A ladder tower or tower ladder, whichever you have, is going to be larger (Dependent on the maker and model) and possibly take up more room on the fireground than a conventional straight stick aerial device. The overall weight of a platfrom could be greater if it is a quint, if it runs a true ground ladder package, if it has a steel or aluminum aerials, etc. Your territory may not allow a larger device because of road, tunnel or bridge restrictions. You may have alot of narrow streets, alot of unimproved streets (gravel, dirt, etc.). You make have power line issues in front of your structures. And the list goes on.

All of this needs to be considered when specing a rig.
    Last edited by STATION2; 02-03-2006 at 12:36 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Thread Information