Forum Member

Default NFPA Standards, Where?

Anyone know where I might be able to download or copy and paste NFPA standards without paying for them? I've been to NFPA's website but it would cost me my 3 year old child to get them all by paying for them.

I dont know if there is any sites out there that might not require to pay, i've googled it but so far have came up empty handed.

Any help would be greatly apreciated....

Early Adopter

Arrow Free? Nah, I don't think so.

As much as I'd like a free ride through the various standards of the NFPA, charing folks for membership and for copies of the standards is how they pay the bills there. Anyone offering up a current set of standards for free would most likely be violating the law (and/or their membership agreement with NFPA).

Is your department not a member of the NFPA? If not, check among the neighboring departments. If they are members, they likely have the current standards on CD-ROM. They might let you come down and take a look.

Forum Member

Ask your fire chief if he has a copy in his office.

If he doesn't, you can probably inquire at other firehouses.

What standards are you looking for?

NFPA 1403 was on line for free just after the Lairdsville debacle.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Also try local libraries or a college library. Ours went and got a full set for us to borrow as needed.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Allow me to second the suggestion to look for copies in libraries, especially if you have a university nearby, more likely there then a town library.
    Also, standards that are due for revision usually have a draft posted for free review/comments on the NFPA web site prior to revision. You do have to follow the comments to see what changes, but the draft is usually quite close to the final standard.

Good luck, especially if you can read a whole standard without falling asleep.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are about two posts away from someone posting about how NFPA has the responsibility to give their wares away for the good of the fire service.

Let the games begin.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have ordered a few of the revised editions lately. I cant even e-mail them to myself so I could have them on a different computer and I paid for them.

I dont have a problem paying for them, but once I own it, well you know where this is going

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    We are about two posts away from someone posting about how NFPA has the responsibility to give their wares away for the good of the fire service.

Let the games begin.

George, If it sounded to you like I was being that way i'm sorry. I just didn't understand why they charged for them in the first place untill Cozmosis pointed it out. Maybe that was ignorance on my part.

Our dept. is a member of the NFPA and I asked my Chief if he had them, he let me brouse the whole lot of them, and boy, I think you got to be a laywer to understand some of them. thanks guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IGotTheJumpSeat
    George, If it sounded to you like I was being that way i'm sorry. I just didn't understand why they charged for them in the first place untill Cozmosis pointed it out. Maybe that was ignorance on my part.

Our dept. is a member of the NFPA and I asked my Chief if he had them, he let me brouse the whole lot of them, and boy, I think you got to be a laywer to understand some of them. thanks guys.
    I didn't say you. I was actually talking about some of the usual suspects.

Thread Information