Forum Member

Default Apparatus Response SOG's

My department is currently writing a Standard Operating Guideline for apparatus response to incidents in our town. We are a volunteer department, with two fire companies and average approximately 250 - 300 calls per year. My question for everyone out there is who has, in their department, guidelines for different levels of response, such as "non-emergency" responses? Also, does anyone, once the I.C. has determined that the call is not a true emergency, have protocols to "downgrade" the response to say Level-2, which would be no lights or siren? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This has been a hot topic among the officers in my department. We currently have no guidelines and simply issue a verbal "proceed with caution" over the radio when the IC determines that the incident is not a true emergency.

Thanks!!
    Arrive Alive!!

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Ours are pretty simple. To keep it short, on ems, if it is an alpha response, then we go no code, bravo through echo, we go code. On fire alarms, if anyone determines that it is a false alarm, we downgrade. Why go code if you KNOW that a small child pulled the alarm? And yes, if the IC determines that there is no emergency, then we will downgrade also. We only run code if we know there is an emergency or if it is unknown. Simple- no emergency, no-code. Stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

As an Officer of a department that has just recently added a Apparatus Responce S.O.G. into our Policies and proceedures manual, I can tell you that it is a very HOT topic where ever your from, Paid and Volunteer alike! We decided to go to a three code system which is endorsed by the IAFF and the Mass. Call and Vol. assosiation. Code 3- Emerget responce Any Emergency that Life or Property might be lost or damaged (lights and Sirens)
    Code 2- Lights only...ex. Co detector activation, no symptoms, 1st units on scene to Fire Alarm Activation find Food on the stove needs help venting.
    Code 1- No Lights or Sirens following the rules of the road. ex. Mutual aid for station coveage...Responding to sit in someone elses station. Or when ever the OIC is on scene and deems that your company responce is not needed in an emergency setting.
    I hope this helps you out!
    Last edited by CFDC10; 01-31-2006 at 06:21 AM. Reason: type o

Forum Member

We do ............we have some runs that are on the "quiet" and who can cancel etc .....it isnt that hard just get together and do what fits your department.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

to CFDC10 - I was under the impression that it was against the law to respond with lights only. It is here in NJ. It's either all or nothing. I have seen that happen in NYC, where witnesses interviewed after an apparatus accident have stated the rig had their lights on, but no siren. You MUST have your siren on when your lights are on.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Good point, KNOW your state laws!

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Default In Michigan

In Michigan the law states to sound siren "as needed".

I don't need a siren at 3 am on a rural road with no other vehicle in sight. Likewise sirens are worthless on high speed freeways. At 60 mph you have to be about 10 feet from the rear bumper for the driver ahead to hear it. Most of the time fire equipment is the slow vehicle on the freeway since they won't go 75 mph.

On the ambulance side we use a priority dispatch system.

Priority 1: Like theatening. Lights and siren.

Priority 2: None life threatening. No lights and go with traffic but do it now.

Priority 3: Most transfers including scheduled ones.

Only about half of the calls are dispatched as Priority 1. Almost all transports from scene to hospital are done Priority 2.

Hope this helps.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

bgcjmc, I hear what your saying I was one of those who used to say "All or Nothing", until I saw for myself the National standards that we used to to form our SOGs. As always State laws differ and Oldman21220 said it best Knwo your Laws.Just trying to help!
    Pete

Forum Member

When I was chief of my Volunteer department I implemented 8 responses that where considered non-emergency. Never had any problems from any members or officer’s because it made no sense to go lights or sirens on these 8 responses. In PA if lights are on then sirens must be activated.

Chief1FF

MembersZone Subscriber

We respond, per department policy, to the following incident types:

All residential fire alarms in SFD's

Any repeat fire alarm, with the exception of water flow alarms, within 24hrs

Wash-down incidents

Assist law enforcement

Back-Ins (Move-ups, Transfers)

Department officers and apparatus OIC's can downgrade any response based upon additional information recieved from communications.

By Texas law, whenever lights are used sirens must be used also.

Just some thoughts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Thread Information