Thread: UK Fire Service

Forum Member

Question UK Fire Service

Is the UK Fire Service a National Service or is it localised as with the UK Police Forces?

Forum Member

Fireguard, the fire services in the UK are made up of County and Metropolitan (big city brigades). There are 46 (I think) Fire and Rescue services in the country at present, however that may change in the future as regionalisation may be introduced by the Govt. London is by far the largest brigade in the country, folowed by places such as Manchester and West Midlands (Birmingham area). Most of the fire services operate a wholetime (24 hour) operation as well as Retained Duty,which is paid on call staff who have "normal" jobs and carry a pager which summons them to the station when theres a call. Roughly 60% of the UK is covered by retained duty, given the largely rural aspect of many parts of the country.

Drop me a line if you want to know more.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Hey UK

Does any one know how to get hired being a fire fighter/ EMT in Italy.. iM from the US and i want to live there for a few years

thanks a lot guys and be safe

John FF/EMT- NY

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Wink How easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Thewildabe
    Hey UK

Does any one know how to get hired being a fire fighter/ EMT in Italy.. iM from the US and i want to live there for a few years

thanks a lot guys and be safe

John FF/EMT- NY
    Just figure out how easy it would be for an Italian FF/EMT to just pop over take one of your countryman's jobs--then reverse it!

I came to NZ from UK 25yrs ago--had 20yrs experience as a front line Firefighter in the London Fire Brigade tried everything I could to get a PAID position-no way, cos at 42 I was too old.
    Could have got a volunteer position 100 times over-unfortunately this don't put food in your belly or a roof over your head.

Forum Member

Default Thanks Brother

Thanks for the tip... im a young guy tho- only 20 right now. you make a good point there. I just wasnt sure how many people apply for the job. In Syracuse, NY it is very difficult to get hired wiht the city. they have 20 positions to be filled at there will be 1000 people to take the civil service test. Needless to say you need a 100 on the test and to top that, veterans get an extra five points so there are people with 105's. I know im only gonna live once and i just wanted to see if it was possible to do what i love to do the best at a beautiful country that i love as well. I do want to take a trip to the UK to see my fellow firefighting brothers there too. I love the Brittish and think your life style is awesome. Stay safe and god save the queen! haha (i dont know if u guys still say that but i thought it would be a nice gesture)

Thanks for the help and tell everyone at your fire house that this american says hello and be safe

John- FF/EMT in Central New York

Thread Information