Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default This is so lame, please forgive me.

What exactly is a FDNY Squad Co.? From what I can tell the Squads (like Squad 41) looks pretty much like an Engine. I'm getting the impression that FDNY Squad Co's mean something different to them than in my neck of the woods. Someone please clear it up for me?
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Pretty much an engine and a truck company combined. They're setup for everything a truck co. can do, and everything an engine can do, while also doing the work that the rescues accomplish.

NDemarse on here is from FDNY Squad 61. He can give you a better run down.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Squad co's are special trained in Hazmat response in addition to the regular rescue response's.
    Never trust a smiling dog.
    The uniform you're given is free, but it comes with a history. Do the right thing when you're in it.
    PTB, EGH, FTM.

Forum Member

It's not lame, valid question. res343cue answered it fairly well. The FDNY squad is kind of the jack of all trades, master of most, type rig. The way that I see it, is to take a well trained/drilled and equipped volunteer engine and put them on the street as a fill in where you need them crew. The reason I say volunteer engine, is because most vollie dept's don't have set crews or tasks, at least in this part of the country. Also to add to the list of responsibilites the squad has is extrcation and rope rescue I think.

needlejockey, while on the subject of "lame" questions, what does this mean? Fir Na Au Saol
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Think of a squad as a suped up engine company on steroids. they are trained in both engine company operations and truck company operations. IIRC, they even have different seating assignments, depending on if they will be functioning as an engine or truck. they still have their own first due area (as an engine co), but they also have a first due area as a squad co, which is much bigger. IIRC, the squads were some of the bussiest apparatus in the FDNY.

They are an IC's extra manpower, they are trained to do pretty much anything the IC needs them to do. IIRC, all members of squad companies are haz mat techs as well, and they do have a seperate vehicle (aside from the engine) that carries hazmat equipment.

The squads are part of the special ops battalion, and I think they are invite only. that means you don't apply to transfer to them, they ask you to join. kinda like the elite of FDNY.

a similar name for an FDNY-style squad would be rescue pumper or rescue engine.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    what does this mean? Fir Na Au Saol
    Men of life ..... at least I think that's what it means
    http://www.sanantoniofire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?

We lucky few, ... we band of brothers

Forum Member

According the the FDNY Reference Manual, the squads are a engine in their first in district and respond to CFR runs. They can also assume the role of a ladder company if need be. All squads are also part of the Special Operations Command and do technical rescue and hazmat stuff.

http://fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn/e269.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    It's not lame, valid question. res343cue answered it fairly well. The FDNY squad is kind of the jack of all trades, master of most, type rig. The way that I see it, is to take a well trained/drilled and equipped volunteer engine and put them on the street as a fill in where you need them crew. The reason I say volunteer engine, is because most vollie dept's don't have set crews or tasks, at least in this part of the country. Also to add to the list of responsibilites the squad has is extrcation and rope rescue I think.

needlejockey, while on the subject of "lame" questions, what does this mean? Fir Na Au Saol
    Men of Life
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

MembersZone Subscriber

Many thanks all for the answers. That actually cleared it up a lot for me.
    Fir Na Tine
    Fir Na Au Saol

Thread Information