Forum Member

What a test... I never thought the situational questions would end!! How are those scored? I've heard that there is no specific right answer. Rather, the pattern of your answers determines which ones are right/wrong.

Any feedback??

Also, already heard rumors of complaints being filed... true or not, who knows.

Forum Member

Complaints about what!!! That's ridiculous - just shut the hell up and go through the F****** process just like everybody else. If you fail then you fail better luck next time.

Yeah there were a ton of situational questions that were hard to tell what the "best" answer was. I didn't think we were ever going to get everyone in there so we could finally take the test.

Does the oral boards come next or the CPAT?

Forum Member

Default Oral Board

The Austin web site lists the oral board then the CPAT.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/fire/downloads/hirproc06.pdf

Even though there will be a written exam and CPAT your ranking on the Austin exam will be determined by how well you do on the oral exam. This means 100% of your score to be hired will be in your Oral Board Score! In the Austin test if you pass the written you will be invited to an oral board. You don't want to be caught flatfooted.

You can keep up on the Austin testing process here:
    http://www.eatstress.com/austin.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Next up for AFD

Next step are the oral boards. As for who gets an invite, the fire chief will select a "batch" of applicants to move on in the process. It could be 200, could be 500. Just depends if they use a certain score, say 90% and above or if they just see the demographics. If you are invited to an oral, your written score will mean nothing. You will start over from scratch and your oral score will be it. CPAT is strictly pass/fail.
    As for numbers, 2800 people were able to take the test and I don't know how many showed up.....

Forum Member

Life would be marvelous if there were no complaints, but as it is, there were some. Sucks, but that's life.

Looking forward to finding out the scores and moving on to the oral board... should be a fun ride!

Anyone from DM Fire School... I've tried contacting you several times about a question I had with your packet and have heard nothing back... Please contact me regarding the questions I sent you (you should know who I am), so I can refrain from posting my question directly on here. Thanks.

Forum Member

Default from centexfire.com

"ere is the text of a memo sent to the Chief and AFD personnel on March 23.

To: Juan J. Adame, Fire Chief
    All Fire Department Personnel

Date: March 23, 2006

RE: Written Exam Scheduled for March 25, 2006

As you know, there was a problem with the delivery of the test booklets for the written exam scheduled to be administered to your applicants on Saturday, March 25. One of the boxes that contained the booklets (which consisted of the test questions and answer choices only, not the answers themselves) had come apart in transit and approximately 182 test booklets were missing from that box.

To ensure that all applicants are on equal footing for the test, my office-along with City Legal-decided that the best course of action was to return the remaining test booklets we received from CWH Management Solutions, Inc., and administer a different test. This test also is provided by CWH, is validated for Austin, and meets all contract requirements; the full text of the validation report will be sent to us next week and I will provide you with a copy of it as soon as I receive it.

There is no cause for alarm and the test will proceed as scheduled. The test and its administration will be handled by my office in accordance with the contract and Civil Service law.

Please request your personnel to direct any questions they may have through their chain of command so that they can be relayed to me in an efficient manner for response."

Forum Member

Pretty wild stuff... let's hope AFD can have a successful run this year... for our sakes! Good luck to all who tested!

Forum Member

Default Written Results

Rumor has it the results of the written test will be mailed out April 4, 2006.

Since 100% of your score to be hired will be in your Oral Board Score you don't want to be caught flatfooted. This is why:

As you have said before oral board is the most important step in the process and the step that is least prepared for. Well I can support your statement. As I watched the recording of my score (reading upside down) I noticed 60's and 70's on the scores of those that interviewed before me. I would assume there were about 25 names on the sheet prior to mine. I scored high enough to get a background packet as I left. Thanks again for your help Rich

You can keep up on the Austin testing process here:
    http://www.eatstress.com/austin.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Results will NOT be mailed out... they will all be posted on www.afdrecruiting.com ... all of those who made the cut for the oral board will be contacted for oral board assignments.

The oral board is 100%, like Capt. Bob said, so if you make the cut it's a new season!!

Good luck to all of you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Results Posted

FYI Everybody - the results for the written exam were posted today. The link is http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/fire/down...Exam032506.pdf .

Also, I already emailed this question to AFD Recruiting but am still waiting for an answer. I applied for the bilingual credit which would give me 1 point on the written exam which very well could be the difference between advancing or not, and I'm just wondering when, where, etc. the test will be administered, and what it will entail. Thanks very much and good luck to everyone.

- John Rhem
    Last edited by vegas0012; 03-31-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Forum Member

No points will be added to the written test... that's for Bi-Lingual and military points. They will only be credit if you advance to the oral board and will be credited to the oral board score only!

The scores aren't in ranked order, so I had to sit and look at all the scores to determine position on the "list". It looks like the top score was a 97!! Crazy. The average score appeared to be low to mid 80's.

Good luck to all!! Hope to see you at the orals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Again, good luck to everyone.

- John Rhem

Forum Member

Turned out the be a really hard test, if you judge by the scores. There just over 300 scores 90 or better... Last word was 250 will proceed to the oral board, but that could change. I'm in the 60's. Let's hear some other scores.

Forum Member

I'm pretty happy with my score - mid nineties. I wish it told you what rank you were - that must have taken forever to count them all, what was there like 3000 scores. So I guess from HonorTheFallen's post, maybe I'm sitting good enough to move on.

Forum Member

Maynerd: You're moving on... no doubt about it. Anything above a 93 is a guaranteed at this point. A buddy of mine did a spreadsheet (after I had counted all scores above mine to find my rank!!!!) and found that the top 200 will be in the 92's and better. They scored down to the one-hundreth of a point, so position is almost non-negotiable on a tie-breaker scheme. Wish you all well!

MembersZone Subscriber

damn, that's frustrating. i had a 88.16. damn. oh yeah, damn.

- john

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I scored a 93.80. This list is without any extra points added correct? I hope I still scored high enough to be invited to the oral boards after the veterans receive their 3 points.
    Last edited by Rockstarfrog; 04-27-2006 at 11:28 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarfrog
    I scored a 93.80. This list is without any extra points added correct? I hope I still scored high enough to be invited to the oral boards after the veterans receive their 3 points.

Karen

The veterans points and bi-lingual will be added to your oral board score. And with a 93.80 I am sure you will get an oral interview. Good luck.
    Last edited by truckmonkey42; 04-03-2006 at 02:42 PM.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by truckmonkey42
    The veterans points and bi-lingual will be added to your oral board score. And with a 93.90 I am sure you will get an oral interview. Good luck.

Oh my misunderstanding. Thanks for the correction and well wishes.

Forum Member

Heard the Chief will announce today the # of applicants being taken to the Oral Boards. If anyone finds out sooner, please post...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Results to move on

Results are out for who is moving on. Looks like around 90% was the cutoff. 351 to the oral boards.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/fire/hiring.htm

Thread Information