Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Probably the dumbest question I will ever ask

I know there is a lot of argument over platform v stick, and it seems we all say that each one can be better or worse for a particular situation. My STUPID question is this-
    Is it possible to make a stick that does... both????

Stick with me here (no pun intended...) If someone were to make an aerial device on a long chassis... and with a ladder that is short when bedded... Couldn't there be a bolt on platform? In otherwords, mechanized so that a few levers would make the aerial raise with OR without the bucket attached? I do not propose an aerial with a bucket on the end, but rather a tower capable of removing the bucket.

Obviously the purpose of high flow water and full electricity in the bucket would be impossible, but for rescue situations in which the bucket is beneficial?

Along the same lines, how about a bucket that can slide down the rails of a platform? Imagine being able to keep the ladder up, but bring patients down to the ground? Or having a tower that you can slide the bucket out of the way?

OK, fully ready for the abuse now. Hopefully this cheers someone up having a rough day!

Default Odd units

I know that Sutphen used to build a 65' mini tower that was interesting. It had buckets on either side of the boom. So - stick off of the end and platforms on the sides. Never seen one other than in pictures. Maybe someone on here has one and can comment??
    I have but one ambition in life and that is to become a firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe that bucket on a METZ is removable. I am not a big fan of the whole removable bucket idea. I don't kow about your department but I would not want the guys in my firehouse playing around with the thing. The old 'gee I wonder what this does?' Standing a 100' in the air is not the place for the bucket to come loose and maybe falling off. Just my thoughts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Metz. Detachable platform bucket. There are some that have the stick with the elevating platform the raises and lowers on teh topside of the rails. As seen on Outrageous Video shows, many places in Asia utilizes this type. One video is of a bunch of cops going up and the ladder collapsing.

Anything on top of a stick that is detachable is something I do not want to be standing on 100' in the air.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ???

Then why do some morons have bolt on tips on the end of their straight sticks? Seems just as stupid to me.

The weight of a bucket vs. that of a tip is a huge difference. The only time you would be on the tip is if you were operating a ladder pipe and I would hope you were locked in with a truck belt. Otherwise it will be over the roof. If you are standing on a platform and that thing falls, you will most likely go with it and better hope no one is standing underneath. Now I may be completely wrong since I have never seen a detachable platform but it is just hard for me to conceive something that heavy and bulky able to detach and reattach easily on a scene and still be safe.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Default Dbl Bucket Sutphen

Here is a link to a picture of a double bucket Sutphen. It is in the middle of the page. 65' is short but still very good for what we did when I was a member there. Gosh I miss home.

http://cnyfiretrucks.com/st/stittville.html
    Fyrtrks

E-One also used to build a unit with two buckets, one each side of the tip of the aerial. I think it was available only in 75'.

I'll try to find a picture, but they're a pretty rare bird. Don't know if the buckets were removable or not.

Forum Member

Fyrtrks pretty nice setup for that dept, thanks for posting, someone mentioned that Sutphen built sticks with pods on ea side but i was never able to find any pics of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyrtrks
    Here is a link to a picture of a double bucket Sutphen. It is in the middle of the page. 65' is short but still very good for what we did when I was a member there. Gosh I miss home.

http://cnyfiretrucks.com/st/stittville.html

Very interesting truck.

I have never seen anything like that.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415
    Then why do some morons have bolt on tips on the end of their straight sticks? Seems just as stupid to me.
    Their there so you can use the tip to vent windows. If you screw it up, you can replace it easier/cheaper. Though it seems no manufacturer actually condones this (warranty nightmare) they accept that we will do it. The key is doing it correctly so as not to torque the stick. Not so stupid, aye?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jake2415
    Well, when we ordered our aerial, the dealer gave the whole department a multiple choice test. Since the entire department scored in the moron range, especially us chiefs, he told us NFPA required that we buy the bolt-on replacable ladder tip.

If we scored one point lower, we would have had to order left handed spanner wrenches too.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 02-02-2006 at 09:00 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    Well, when we ordered our aerial, the dealer gave the whole department a multiple choice test. Since the entire department scored in the moran range, especially us chiefs, he told us NFPA required that we buy the bolt-on replacable ladder tip.

If we scored one point lower, we would have had to order left handed spanner wrenches too.
    Man I love those left handed spanner wrenches. Our ladder came with free blinker fluid.
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

we have a '89 Sutphen 65' very much like the one mentioned earlier. We hate the split bucket. Virtually impossible to do anything while up there. No room to move around. We have since put in service a 100' platform from Smeal and love the room. Plenty of room for 4 guys in gear. http://www.smpffa.com/single_pic.cfm...%2F%20Stations

http://www.smpffa.com/single_pic.cfm...%2F%20Stations

Lightbulb

I haven not seen the split bucket from Sutphen ............I thought someone was goign to to post the tiller bucket thingy that didnt get very far.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

E-One quit making their version of the "split bucket" platform. I beleive also it was only available in a 75'. To my knowledge less than 12 or 15 were built and delivered to fire departments.

As for bolt on egress sections on aerials, on some level it makes sense. Hell, to this day FDNY has a department procedure on how to ventilate windows using the aerial tip. Oh well, some makers offer it and some do not.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Jake: We, as morons, actually use the aerials (on our 66 rearmounts and 15 tillers), at FIRES to take windows and to get the roof. While manufacturers will never recommend this procedure, it has been time proven and saves lives. The downside of venting with an aerial is that once in a while the tip gets burned or bent, same for being above a window that's venting fire. Unfortunately that's where the ladder has to be for our safety or to pick off a civilian. A burned tip required the removal of the aerial device by our shops and remounting a rebuilt aerial, a process our shops has down to a science. The cost of having the burned tip, or bent tip inspected and serviced by the manufacturer is in excess of $85,000. A few years ago we morons decided that this was a waste of time and money in many instances, so we went with the bolt on (replaceable) tip concept and it is functionally the same as every other of the 81 aerial ladders in service today, only difference being that the last six feet of the ladder are replaceable (bolt on).
    As for a detachable bucket... buy an aerial or buy a tower ladder, firefighting is about making choices, make one.

Forum Member

Thanks for all the great posts! Just a couple of things I picked up on- First, "bolting on" a tower that is not used for waterflow, etc could be plenty safe. Just take a number of BIG, mechanized bolts! How about a collapsing bucket (keep all sarcastic comments aside)
    Second, the gee-wiz firefighter comment- while mainly true- is an issue in everything we use! Heck, that gee-wiz idea is the same reason some people shift into reverse in their cars while driving at a normal-high speed, but reverse exists, and can still be shifted into on the highway! People do lots of stupid stuff and maybe if we stopped doing it, trucks would work better and cheaper without these computerized "stupid person" protections.
    Third, the split bucket is certainly... interesting.
    Last, jfTL I agree sometimes a choice has to be made. Not everyone has m/a available instantly, and now everyone can afford a ladder, let alone a stick and platform. Just like quints don't work for all of us, they do have a niche with many who have to do less with more!

Forum Member

I have two customers who have the E-One HP70, it is the split bucket type and only about 7 were ever made. E-One supposedly kept the specs for the truck but said they won't build it again. Both of my customers like the split buckets, they can pull a stokes basket throught the E-One. I don't know anything about the Sutphen model though. If you guys have any questions as to whether platform or stick then view the Channel Two News from Chicago about the fire nearly getting a truckman causing him to bail out and slide down from his stick.I am sure it could be done, any of the manufacturers will do alot of things for a price. As an instructor I must say that is not a stupid question. Be safe .

Thread Information