Forum Member

Default Regional Communications Question

I am researching a regional project for Laptops & hardware/software for AVL as well as rec'ving calls from dispatch center. Additionally want to incorporate mobile & portable radios to bring everyone up to speed.

Is this allowable under a regional grant?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Per the 2005 PG, Page 16 yes:

Individual communications equipment (portable radios) and/or mobile communications equipment (including mobile repeaters) are eligible but cell phones are not eligible. We will only fund enough mobile radios to equip the vehicle inventory listed in the application. We will not fund mobile radios for personally owned vehicles with the exception of the chief fire officer’s personal vehicle if adequately justified in the application. Mobile data systems are eligible. Integrated communications systems such as base stations, computer-aided dispatch, fixed-site repeaters, wireless and broadband mobile data systems, etc., are eligible under this activity. The purchase of any communications systems and/or equipment under this activity should have the intent and/or goal of solving your interoperability problems, as applicable. Note that each State will be provided with the opportunity to review requests for communications equipment, with respect to interoperability and the State’s homeland security strategy. Any applicant seeking funding for equipment herein should provide details in the narrative section of the application regarding their local plan to enable interoperability for the jurisdiction.
    I don't see it changing for 2006. Just watch how much you pile on so you don't go too far over the max project for the area's population. Under 500K residents you're limited to $1 million. 500K-1 mil, $1.75 million, over 1 million in population $2.75 million.

Note that magic part about state review for ALL regional communications projects. If you don't confer with the State Guru-Who-Do-What-He-Or-She-Do, you will not Do-do, what you propose to Do.

Forum Member

thanks brian,

As I understand from the workshops; this year the pop. count is based upon total communities; therefore we will be in upper range 1.75 or higher.

I have the hardware/software equipment stuff, and I am anxiously awaiting(like everyone else) for PG2006 to be released.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default comm grant

Brian - it would appear that the newborne is influencing your speaking patterns these days???????? is that true DA DA?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not speaking so much, but typing. Since I can't handle the feeding part yet I take her for a good hunk of the day to let mom rest. Kinda hard to type with baby in one arm, but s'alright. I can't think of a better problem to have.

MembersZone Subscriber

enjoy - because at 17, the thought of being held by Dad is not very appealling - especially in public - been there done that!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default Question??????

Who is the state person we should contact with a regional app in regards to state review? Do we need approval from the state prior to application. This regional stuff is all new to me. Our county MABAS Division (Mutual Aid Group) would like to add 4 repeaters and bring all pagers to one paging frequency to improve mutual aid response. Any information would be a great help.

Forum Member

Gotjerserys,

If you need some info on how to tie your regional project into MABAS let me know and I'd be happy to send over our successful narrative.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

gotjerseys, you don't need state approval before applying, but the idea would be that you follow any state recommendations for communications upgrades. Otherwise when it does go to the state review they don't shoot it down. Ideally, get it approved through the state person so that they are aware and can "approve" the application before DHS ever calls.

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. Another stupid question, what department of state goverment would I contact, DOJ, EM, ????

Bruce

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Fire Marshal/Commissioner, Emergency Management, or Homeland Security if you have it. If they aren't the ones that handle the inquiries from DHS I'm sure they know.

Also you could call your regional FPS from DHS and they should know who they'd call in the technical review if your app made it to that point.

MembersZone Subscriber

gotjerseys, here is a place to start. The first link is to the Homeland Security Advisors for each state at DHS. the second link is to your State Administering Agency for Homeland Security. As Brian said, and I concur, it never hurts to check with these guys first and get their input or advise. Great tactic in a narrative to put down that you have cleared this with your SAA and that the project is conforming with State Homeland Security plans that already exist.

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display...1&content=3138

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/odp/contact_state.htm
    Last edited by ktb9780; 02-04-2006 at 10:04 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thanks for the assist!

MembersZone Subscriber

Anytime. I usually have most of these type links on my webiste at all times under " Resources" and the govenrment links there.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

For the right honorable gentleman from Wis.; follow the MABAS directives on communications ADVOCACY STATEMENTS..... Website has all the info you need as well

Thread Information