Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Polishing Aluminum

Anybody have any secret tips, products or recipes for polishing aluminum tread plate?

Forum Member

Default polish

We have tried several productssome good some not so good. The most effective products, can't think of the names now, used some form of caustic cleaning material. It would clean the aluminum but don't get it on the paint or your clothes or in your eyes. The key is once the aluminum is cleaned then it needs a good polishing and sealer or clear coating to keep it looking good.Hard water is murder on aluminum.

Forum Member

Try 3M Marine Aluminum Restorer and Polish P/N051131-09020. It should be available at fire apparatus dealers or marinas that sell aluminum pontoon type boats. It works great, but you need tough rags to do treadplate, as it tends to chew them up. Good luck, its great arm exercise!

Go to www.Mothers.com and click on the Powerball. It's designed to be attached to a drill and can be used to polish diamond plate.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Like lvwrench said, you first need to clean it. We use an aluminum cleaner that's made here in Canada, Alberta actually, called Alumashine by Neochem. I then polish it with Alcoa PDQ. You can purchase the Alcoa PDQ at a Truck parts store or maybe a truck stop.

Captain Gonzo,
    Does the powerball hold help well? I have seen them but have been hesitant due to the fact the they might get torn up to quick, especially on the diamond plate, Thanks
    Ryan

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

We used Speedy metal polish when we rechassised our 1977 rescue body. Old tread plate is just a little less shiny than the brand new. Actually used a scrub brush to apply it.

You can order it from their website.

Forum Member

sorry, I never saw the search pulldown. Used to seeing a search box instead.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, is the best I've found.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Polishing treadplate

As many have stated above, one of the caustic cleaners works best for heavily oxidized or stained aluminum. Once cleaned, a commercial paste type polish (I use Mothers) works best. To apply, without developing forearms like Popeye, try this: cut discs out of stiff short bristle scrub brush using a hole saw. ( I try to find one close to the inside diameter of the jar of Mothers.) Insert a 3" bolt through the hole in the center of the disk, & chuck into a power drill (cordless, if you've got it) & scrub away. Remove polish with a handfull of old rags. (Hospital towels work great for this)...

Good luck

Default mothers

Yeah, I've had the best results from Mothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cleaning aluminum

Professional detailers that clean aluminum truck wheels mix Mothers with a little mineral spirits. Then they apply it with an applicator attached to a cordless drill. You could shave using their wheels as a mirror once they are done. We found that cloth diapers hold-up well for getting the wax off.

Forum Member

Default Try this

I've used carpet samples to clean it. Works pretty good and holds up longer than rags. I have the "Flitz" ball to clean the rims on my truck, but have never used it on treadplate. Mothers seems to work the best for me as far as polish goes.

Sorry I should've checked the other thread. Same thing is said there with some more good info.
    Last edited by wfire32; 03-03-2006 at 01:16 PM.

Forum Member

Try using either excite metal polish or flitz, both work well with a little elbow grease.

Forum Member

Mothers was always a lot of work and you had to get alot of elbow into it, now we use long haul truck polish...easy stuff to use and you still get the finish of mothers but with half the work...we use poweballs exclusively on diamond plate and it works awesome, one ball goes a long long way, just wash went your done for next time...

...I always heard a probie works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

we had some acid for cleaning the crappers that we diluted in a spray bottle, we first washed the truck then went back and sprayed the diamond plate a little at a time and scrubbed it with a wash brush, then immediatly rinsed it off, worked great, made it like a mirror!

Thread Information