Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question SAFER Status question

Any idea of what is left, or is anything else going to happen? Haven't heard either way. Thanks.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

So much money is being refused that they're backpedaling big time trying to figure out who is going to end up taking the money. Supposedly they are calling people in line to verify first that they'd take the award. One source said they may end up having to go back to the DJ pile there are so many refusals.

Since defaulting on the grant would mean ineligibility for any future federal grant programs, the powers that be are not playing around. Some could afford to take the dough but still aren't. They don't want to take the chance.

Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    So much money is being refused that they're backpedaling big time trying to figure out who is going to end up taking the money. Supposedly they are calling people in line to verify first that they'd take the award. One source said they may end up having to go back to the DJ pile there are so many refusals.

Since defaulting on the grant would mean ineligibility for any future federal grant programs, the powers that be are not playing around. Some could afford to take the dough but still aren't. They don't want to take the chance.
    That's interesting. And for this upcoming period, they have $110 for SAFER.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

I just dont get it. Did all these people who are turning these SAFER grants down not get permission and committments from their Boards/Commissions/etc prior to applying? Our Fire Board voted, approved and comitted to the grant should we be funded prior to our even applying for the grant. Then, when we actually did get the award, there was no desicion to make. Our new firefighters just started this week. How many turn downs have there actually been?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

At least a dozen for sure, probably 2-3 times that.

I'm sure nearly all of them if not all had permission, but when staring at 5 years worth of financial commitment or face never seeing another federal dollar again, some don't want to take a chance.

I am quite sure the problem was similar to the problems we faced when the COPS grants first started. The Chief or the grant writer assumed that if they could get the grant, the city would be thrilled. On the contrary, because they did not go to the City treasurer or the governinig board prior to submission, and make a full disclosure of what would be expected of them.

When the award was announced, and the terms of award were disclosed in the award package, the manager or treasurer dropped the boot on it. This was something that I heavily cautioned all the grantwriters and departments to address before begining to even write that grant. It is also the main reason why I teach in my seminars that, when forming the grant team to include upper management and or the treasurer in the team so that these problems are aired out during the initial assessment and decision of wether going after the grant is worthwhile or even feasible for the department.

This was poor planning on the part of the department and it has hurt others, and the program, because they failed to properly "read the guidleines" and understand the ramifications that were to be imposed on a department if you gained the award.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Permission to apply without a commitment to except. Thatís kind of like giving your subordinate permission to waste his or her time for a month or so.
    Last edited by Chiefmax1200; 02-06-2006 at 03:41 PM.

Default ISO - SAFER narrative

Anybody with a successful SAFER narrative for volunteer recruitment and retention that they would be willing to share? I have several departments gearing up for this years applications since funding is up, but expected to disappear in 2007. With the turn away rate on the hiring proposals, it may be a good year for R&R.

Any proposals, please email them to me at dlewis@mfri.org.

Thanks,

David Lewis
    Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefmax1200
    Permission to apply without a commitment to except. Thatís kind of like giving your subordinate permission to waste his or her time for a month or so.
    How many grants have you (or your community) applied for vs how many are successful? Or how many projects have you worked on where you applied for the same $ from multiple sources in the hope that ONE would come thru? I've certainly yet to have the problem of 2 sources both approving the same thing (duplicate funding). Holding your breathe/wasting your time getting all tied in knots over "preapprovals" and 110% budget/concept plans is silly. Do the grant then clean up the "details" if you're successful.

And why are we putting a large part of the limited AFG $ into this SAFER thing? Perhaps the $ for vol recruit/retention part makes a bit of sense and can be financially affordable for the recipient. But the payroll "grants" are as silly as the COPS payroll "grants". Financially make no sense at any level. Just a political buyoff attempt (failed/waste of time) directed towards those who hate the President. Leave the $ in the AFG program.

MembersZone Subscriber

neiowa

To answer you question, we have recieved 11 Grants and been turned down 4 times. We just dont apply unless we are committed to excepting it and have a very strong case for recieving it.

If I cant sell the idea of the grant to my Fire Board and get thier approval and committment before we apply, then it is not very likely that I'll be able to sell our need for the grant to the application reviwers. Might just be my ego talking, but it might also be that our Pre-Approval and Committment approach to applying for grants has something to do with our high success rate.

As far as the "Do the grant then clean up the "details" if you're successful" approach, judging by the number of SAFER turn downs, I guess your not alone in your thinking, Its just not an approach we would use.

Thread Information