MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thermal Imager Grant the Sequel?

In 2003 one VFD I am doing a grant for recived SCBA, PPE, and a TIC.

In 2006, they want to finish off the last 50% of the department that is not in updated PPE and they would like to apply for another TIC since they cover a very large area and the TIC cant be everywhere at once.

So, is it possible to be awarded a TIC a few years later or will it be a app killer?

Thanks
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They removed the TIC limits that used to be in place based on population. But don't take that to mean apply for a pile. I have a feeling the scoring will have a section dealing with excessive TICs on a request.

I don't see a 2nd TIC being a problem. I'm a big advocate of at least 2 on the fireground, 1 interior, the other with RIT. And like you said, it's a large area. If the possibility of 2 incidents at once exists, each one will need a TIC.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks!

I will go for it then. Any idea what the funding limit is? 12,000 still?
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

$10K I believe is what they went down to just for the camera. It may still be $12K if you go with truck chargers or other such accessories.

MembersZone Subscriber

I attended the grant seminar today, they said that while the limit of how many TIC's you can apply for has been removed they will grade the need for TIC's based upon population, call volume and # of structure fires.

A HIGH priorty for 2006 is training, especially hands on and drivers training programs that result in a certification.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by spegram
    I attended the grant seminar today, they said that while the limit of how many TIC's you can apply for has been removed they will grade the need for TIC's based upon population, call volume and # of structure fires.

A HIGH priorty for 2006 is training, especially hands on and drivers training programs that result in a certification.

And take that the rest of the way spegram; instructer led and leading to National or State certifications or mandatory training requirments of the State/ OSHA compliance. Don't everyone start salivating about 40 inch HD TVs in the dayroom now with HD DVD players to watch Ladder 49 and Backdraft! LOL!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys. I was thinking of trying to incorporate and Action Traning DVD library into the grant as well.

A burn trailer would be great as we get very little live fire training (for my entire region that is), but I dont know if a grant like this would have much of a chance.

- 14 Sets of Trunout Head to toe
    - 1 TIC
    - Action Training Library
    - Modest live fire training trailer.

Think that would have a chance?

MembersZone Subscriber

As always, Insreuctor Led-State/National Certs receive the HIGHEST priority. There's just no way to mandate that someone watch a DVD or read out of a manual. This grant program, although it has awarded some sets of the DVD's that I know of, even as recent as last year, typically prefers things that bring either instructors into your FD or sends your guys off for a piece of paper and some knowledge along with a state or national cert.

You're not going to want to potentially risk lowering your overall score by applying for low priority items, like that (in my opinion). If there's Certs or classes your guys need, bring someone in. Hook up with the local Community college, get some prices, and put that in the grant.

When the PG come out, you'll be able to see exactly what the highest priority items are. Try to avoid alot of items that aren't necessary. If your FD really, really needs TO gear desperately, then go for that and maybe a TIC or class or two. I'd stop there, or have stopped back a few items ago.

Remember, the funding has been decreased this year, due to increases in SAFER (among other things) and that will definately affect the amount of funds EVERY FD sees going out the door. Only 5,500 (app.) were funded this year, with over $100 M MORE than will be in the pot....

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    They removed the TIC limits that used to be in place based on population. But don't take that to mean apply for a pile. I have a feeling the scoring will have a section dealing with excessive TICs on a request.

I don't see a 2nd TIC being a problem. I'm a big advocate of at least 2 on the fireground, 1 interior, the other with RIT. And like you said, it's a large area. If the possibility of 2 incidents at once exists, each one will need a TIC.

- Brian
    I suggest a minimum of THREE thermal imagers on every fireground: 1 for the engine (fire attack company), 1 for the truck (search and/or vent company), and as you say, 1 for the RIT.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I agree, more is always better, but with most of the departments that have 1 or none, they're not going to hand out that many in one award. They are still going to grade on population even though the limit was removed.

Thread Information