Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Those who have attended the 2006 workshop...

I will be attending an AFG workshop in a couple weeks. In the meantime I downloaded the PowerPoint for the workshop specifically looking for the changes for 2006.

Changes in 2006

Regional Project Applications - Unique application & Match based on population of region

Regional Project – limited to training, equipment, and PPE

Thermal Imaging Cameras - limits eliminated

Training Requirements - added
    I will not be writing a regional grant....this year. So no questions there.

I wasn't really interested in applying for a TIC either...but since they eliminated the limits, does this mean they are of higher priority?

My main question is: What does "Training Requirements - added" mean?

Wolf

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It means that you'd better mention that either you are already trained to use the equipment, are including the cost of being trained on the new equipment, or the vendor is doing the training as part of the purchase from them.

So don't even think about a truck app without EVOC in it multiple times.

The FPSs are seeing lots of stuff going unused because the departments are not getting the proper training, so it's just sitting around the station. This is the fix for that. Same with the part about wanting to mention that you have the proper support from the local authorities, and can finish the whole project within the performance period. Vehicles would be an exception, but not a year's worth. There are still open 2002 and 2003 awards because people are messing around.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    It means that you'd better mention that either you are already trained to use the equipment, are including the cost of being trained on the new equipment, or the vendor is doing the training as part of the purchase from them.

So don't even think about a truck app without EVOC in it multiple times.

The FPSs are seeing lots of stuff going unused because the departments are not getting the proper training, so it's just sitting around the station. This is the fix for that. Same with the part about wanting to mention that you have the proper support from the local authorities, and can finish the whole project within the performance period. Vehicles would be an exception, but not a year's worth. There are still open 2002 and 2003 awards because people are messing around.

- Brian
    Absolutely have to agree 100% with Brian here folks. I have always advocated that it is better to have trained personnel and not have the proper equipment to do the job, than untrained personnel waiting for equipment beofoe being trained.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

The limits on the TIC mentioned weren't on the $ amount (at least that wasn't mentioned AT ALL) it was on the # per population that has always been in effect. HOWEVER, one note of caution, the RFPS that hosted the workshop cautioned that it is still a competitive grant, and if someone has only ran 8 structure fires and they ask for 3 TICs for all three trucks, probably not going to happen, due to peer. (IF they make it to peer)...

As Brian mention, Training is (and has really always been) an area that lacks attention. This year it is a Priority. If you're putting in for something, and don't address how you're trained (already) or how you plan to be trained, or include the funding for the training, probably won't be happening.

You just can't throw together these apps at the last second, and expect it to hold up to a competitive scoring panel. Each year, the competition gets tougher, the scoring gets more intense, and the heat gets turned up.

IF you haven't already conducted that Risk Assessment (or Needs Assessment) in your community to validate your request, and have some substantial data to back up your request (ie: justification), you may score weaker than someone who has done all that. Just an FYI a late Christmas present, if you will, since I haven't been around much (I've been out visiting alot of my FD's one-on-one and had a death in the family).

Good luck with that. And, if you haven't gotten in to a workshop near you, yet, I'd HIGHLY advise it. I learned quite a bit. Never too old to do that. Remember, these folks are the ones who do the "technical review" and also come out and do site visits and such. Always a good idea to get to know them, or at the least, put a face with a name.
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Where can I find the information on the needs assesment? I have had succesfull grants for four years, and have never conducted or mentioned a needs assesment in my grant narratives for my department.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You probably did, it just wasn't formal.

Needs assessments are valid, documentable analysis of your current operating situation compared against national standards. What doing a paper one does it remove all subjective opinions. For instance, someone who thinks their PPE is falling apart, too old for them, etc, etc. Yet it's only 4 years old. So on paper, it is not old, and most likely compliant, so there is no reason to think that it's a proper project. Or someone applying for a truck to replace something from the 70s when the front line units are all less than 5 years old. Too many people jump into this without knowing what they truely need, and therefore can't write a narrative to back up why they need it, or why they can't afford it. The needs assessment when done properly writes your narrative for you.

And having read your stuff (since at least one of your narratives is on my site), you didn't need to perform a paper one because you were objective enough in your approach to the projects and applications. And if that is the case, one doesn't need to mention that an assessment was or wasn't done, because the narrative reads like one was performed.

Thread Information