Thread: New Brush Truck

Forum Member

Default New Brush Truck

Can anyone tell me what my chances are on getting a brush truck? We are a small community of about 15,000.My concern is we have nice engines a new ladder and a new ambulance. We have 2 large brushbreakers which are both 21 years old and are beat. Are my chances bad with such nice 1st line trucks?

Does anyone have a brush truck narrative?? If so if you could E-Mail it to me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

The grants are not predicated on what you have necessarily but, what you can justfy for need. If most of those new shiny engines are being financed and your debt service is substantial then it is possible that you could get it funded. It would also be dependant upon what your "classification" is; are you considered rural or suburban?
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The newer the other trucks, the less the chance. If you have more than 3 trucks less than 10 years old, the thought is if you needed that brush truck so badly, why haven't you replaced it yet. 1 truck less than 10, maybe 2 (pumper & tanker for rural), but more than that and its real slim. It's not just about the age of the trucks you want to replace.

Also depending on district size, if you have a ladder then the thought becomes that you must not have a whole lot of open space that can't be handled by a pumper and dragging hose. It sucks, been there done that, but if you statistically don't have a brush fire risk compared to the midwest (unless you're there), I'd find another project. And if all of the PPE, SCBA, and other stuff is all new and compliant, and you still find after performing an assessment that the brush is your greatest need, then apply for it. Might say no, but might say yes.

There are some samples that people have sent me to post on my web site: www.firegraphics.org

- Brian

Forum Member

Thanks guys for the reply. We actually do have a very active brush fire season, and require both brush trucks for many of the fires we respond to. Much of the town is woodland and require the breakers to get to the fire. We also recieve, and provide mutual aid to surrounding towns including Plymouth MA. which has the Myles Standish State Forest. Both local, and Mutual Aid purposes require us to have reliable vehicles in the brush fire season. Any other comments or help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

johnemt76,

Check your email. I sent along a copy of our brush truck narrative.

Forum Member

I did get the E-mail. Thank you very much. Upon checking further, we are considered a "Rural" community. The Brush trucks we have now are Internationals, and the tanks on both trucks are rusting out. I can go on, and on i'm sure you know how it is. Thank you for your help!!

Forum Member

Can anyone tell me what the most amount of money you can get for a large brushbreaker is? Also I thought I had heard with departments that received vehicle grants that they had to go with a specific manufacturer. Is this true?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

johnemt76,

No, you do not have to go with a specific manufacturer. It is in your best interest to develope specs that multiple manufacturerers can bid on.

Just to provide a little perspective, the grant awarded for the brush truck described in the narrative was $135,000. The final cost after bid openings was just over $133,000.

MembersZone Subscriber

johnemt keep in mind, especially on trucks ,that DHS likes to see you "shop it around" they also want to make sure that your are not asking for a "Cadillac when a VW will do the job"! Keep it basic and the cost reasonable. Have it built with the philosophy that some things can be added later, at your own expense, so the basic request should be just that; a basic request. The key factor herei s to get the 6 wheels on the ground in your station house first.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Does anyone still make the large brushbreakers? I remember seeing something on a company on Long Island (I think) that makes the big honkers out of the old surplus 6x6s. The other question is NFPA compliance. I'll have to go back and dig on NFPA, but if those trucks don't meet NFPA 1901 they are ineligible as a project as only NFPA compliant projects are eligible in any category.

Forum Member

Thanks again guys, you have been a big help!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Does anyone still make the large brushbreakers? I remember seeing something on a company on Long Island (I think) that makes the big honkers out of the old surplus 6x6s. The other question is NFPA compliance. I'll have to go back and dig on NFPA, but if those trucks don't meet NFPA 1901 they are ineligible as a project as only NFPA compliant projects are eligible in any category.
    Hey Brian,
    How about this:
    http://www.ssfire.com/ApparatusCateg...ail.cfm?acid=3

Big enough for a brushie??
    earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not bad, but I like my wildland trucks with an M16 rack option.

http://www.piercemfg.com/apparatus/TFFT.cfm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Not bad, but I like my wildland trucks with an M16 rack option.

http://www.piercemfg.com/apparatus/TFFT.cfm
    Brian can we get thoses in Safety Green
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Forum Member

Does anyone still make the large brushbreakers?

Most of them in southeastern New England are either home-made or more likely E.J. Murphy out of Hopkinton -- they're the Pierce dealer for Mass, as well as a very well respected refurb & custom shop. Pierce allows them to custom build anything Pierce doesn't normally do. Their facility is same land / new building where Farrar was based.

I have a real hard time believing it would be $300k for a new brush breaker -- there just isn't that much to them and steel hasn't gone up in price *that* much.

Forum Member

Default Long Island Stump Jumpers

The company on Long Island is called Chivvis. They started building trucks after Shunk truck builders went out of business. They built a smaller Stump Jumper for Hampton Bays in Suffolk County not to long ago. I think the price tag was around $170,000. The web site for Chivvis is:Chivvis

I don't know if these trucks are NFPA compliant. They have added a full mesh cage over the riding positions against the back wall, and all seats are seatbelt equipped.

I always wondered how a Breaker was configured in the back? Do guys ride and fight the fire from the truck like our Stump Jumpers or do you push to the fire and stretch hose? Small fires we will push and stretch, but anything big we pump and roll. I have always felt our Stump Jumpers would be better if we used a Breakers front design. The high front push bar has to make it much easier on the truck.

Would anyone know of a web page for EJ Murphy?

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

this is a truck similar to the one we bought a year and a half ago. http://www.bgfire.com/nwr/DCP_0497.JPG we didn't get a fema grant, but the forest service chipped in a lil bit of cash.

Thread Information