Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Sea King crashes off Denmark, five crew rescued

For IACOJ members, I posted more info on the crusty site.

Sea King crashes off Denmark, five crew rescued
    Updated Fri. Feb. 3 2006 10:24 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Five crew members have been rescued safely after a Canadian Forces Sea King helicopter went down in the North Sea Thursday afternoon.

The helicopter crashed about 50 kilometres off the east coast of Denmark at about 1:34 p.m. ET, Jae Malana, a spokesperson with the Department of National Defence told CTV Newsnet.

The crew members were recovered safely and taken to HMCS Athabaskan, which serves as the base to the helicopter and its crew.

Col. Al Blair, Wing Commander at CFB Shearwater in Nova Scotia, held a press conference Thursday.

"The aircraft was making a standard night approach to the ship when it contacted the water and rolled inverted," said Blair. "HMCS Athabaskan immediately went to its rescue stations and launched its two Zodiacs. All the crew members were recovered on board the ship within a short period of time. They were all fine, and there were only very minor injuries."

The men were examined and released by the ship's medical officer, and their families were notified.

The incident occurred during a night operation while the crew practiced landings at the rear of the ship. An investigation is currently underway, but the details of the crash are not yet known, according to a NATO public affairs officer.

"It was quite dark when the incident happened," Cmdr. Chris Dickerson told CTV Newsnet, speaking from the Athabaskan. "The helicopter was coming back from a routine mission and with the darkness, it's very hard even just onboard to get a sense of exactly what happened as she was trying to land on the deck. What we do know is that she ended up striking the water, the crew got out very quickly, the five guys who were onboard, and they were recovered within minutes."

The downed Sea King is currently sitting in 16 metres of water in calm seas, and has been marked with buoys. Salvage efforts will depend on sea conditions and the availability of salvage tugs, Malana said.

The Athabaskan has a crew of about 300 military personnel, and is the flagship for a NATO squadron of five destroyers and frigates from five different nations.

The ship's top officer, Commodore Denis Rouleau, took control of the squadron on Jan. 26.

Although the Athabaskan only had one Sea King on board, the squadron still has air support from three helicopters operated by the U.S., Polish and Portugese crews in the squadron.

The decades-old Sea King fleet has been fraught with problems for years.

The single-rotor helicopters were first purchased in 1963, and in 2004, 28 were still in use. They often experience flameouts, engine stalls, generator failures, and have been described as "flying coffins" by members of the military.

In 1993, Jean Chretien's newly-elected government cancelled a Tory plan that would have replaced the Sea Kings by 2000.

The Liberal government said the plan was too expensive, but pulling out of the deal cost Canada $500 million in cancellation fees.

Last year the government contracted to purchase 28 Cyclones to replace the Sea Kings, but the first aircraft won't be delivered until late 2008.

The last Sea King is expected to retire in 2011.

With files from Canadian Press
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 02-03-2006 at 12:48 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Sea King cmdr. to address ditching off Denmark
    Updated Fri. Feb. 3 2006 10:45 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The commander of the Sea King squadron in Halifax will discuss today what happened to a helicopter that went down off Denmark.

Col. Al Blair's address to personnel at the Shearwater air base comes one day after the aircraft crashed 50 kilometres off the east coast of Denmark.

The five crew members were recovered safely and taken to HMCS Athabaskan, which serves as the base to the helicopter and its crew.

The crew were treated for "minor injuries" but are otherwise fine, according to officials in Halifax.

A flight safety investigation team is expected to head to Denmark this weekend.

Among issues they will discuss is how to salvage the aircraft, which is currently sitting in 16 metres of water surrounded by buoys. If sea conditions permit, they may try and hoist the chopper.

The incident occurred during a night operation while the crew practiced landings at the rear of the Athabascan. The navy says the Sea King tried initially to land on the warship but flew off to try again. It was making a second pass when it suddenly went into the water.

Speaking at a news conference Thursday, Blair said the "aircraft was making a standard night approach to the ship when it contacted the water and rolled inverted."

"It was quite dark when the incident happened," Cmdr. Chris Dickerson told CTV Newsnet, speaking from the Athabaskan.

The Athabaskan has a crew of about 300 military personnel, and is the flagship for a NATO squadron of five destroyers and frigates from five different nations.

A spokesman at Shearwater said officials will take the weekend to decide whether to ground the entire Sea Kings fleet.

The single-rotor helicopters were first purchased in 1963, and in 2004, 28 were still in use. They often experience flameouts, engine stalls, generator failures, and have been described as "flying coffins" by members of the military.

In 1993, Jean Chretien's newly-elected government cancelled a Tory plan that would have replaced the Sea Kings by 2000.

The Liberal government said the plan was too expensive, but pulling out of the deal cost Canada $500 million in cancellation fees.

Last year the government contracted to purchase 28 Cyclones to replace the Sea Kings, but the first aircraft won't be delivered until late 2008.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Default Some updates

Crashed Sea King recovered and raised onto barge
    Updated Sat. Feb. 4 2006 9:10 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A Sea King helicopter that crashed into the ocean off Denmark Thursday has been recovered and raised onto a barge.

Cdr. Chris Dickinson said the aircraft was hoisted from about 16 metres of water late Friday afternoon.

The Sea King is expected to be ferried to the Danish port of Arhus, where it will be met by a Canadian flight safety investigation team which is en route to Denmark and due to arrive sometime this weekend.

The Sea King went down 50 kilometres off the east coast of Denmark after trying to land on HMCS Athabaskan.

The five crew members were recovered safely before the chopper sank, and they were taken to the Athabaskan, which serves as the base to the helicopter and its crew.

The crew was treated for "minor injuries" but are otherwise fine, according to officials in Halifax.

Over the weekend, military officials will assess what happened to cause the helicopter to crash.

The commander of the Sea King squadron, Col. Al Blair, will consult with personnel at the Shearwater air base near Halifax whether to ground the entire fleet of aging Sea Kings.

For now, the air force is not flying any of the choppers, and training exercises will be delayed likely until next week while the investigation is underway.

"These three days are giving us a chance to take the information we have and assess where we're going to go in the future," a spokesperson from Shearwater told CTV.ca

"We've got to look at all options. There are options of replacing aircraft for the ship, or replacing the crew on the ship; and also whether we are going to be flying, and if so, when?"

The incident occurred during a night operation while the crew practiced landings at the rear of the Athabaskan. The navy says the Sea King tried initially to land on the warship but flew off to try again. It was making a second pass when it suddenly went into the water.

Speaking at a news conference Thursday, Blair said the "aircraft was making a standard night approach to the ship when it contacted the water and rolled inverted."

"It was quite dark when the incident happened," Cmdr. Chris Dickerson told CTV Newsnet, speaking from the Athabaskan.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Safety team due in Denmark to probe chopper crash
    Updated Sat. Feb. 4 2006 11:15 AM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A six-member team of Canadian flight safety investigators is expected to arrive in Denmark this weekend to examine the remains of a downed Sea King helicopter.

The chopper crashed into the ocean about 50 kilometres off the east coast of Denmark Thursday while practicing night landings on the destroyer HMCS Athabaskan.

The crewmembers, who were recovered safely before the chopper sank, have been treated for "minor injuries" but are otherwise fine, according to officials in Halifax.

On Friday, the wreckage was hoisted from about 16 metres of water, raised onto a barge and taken to the Danish port of Arhus.

There, the military investigators will interview the crew and witnesses and review the aircraft's maintenance records.

Meanwhile, the commander of the Sea King squadron, Col. Al Blair, will consult with personnel at the Shearwater air base near Halifax whether to ground the entire fleet of aging Sea Kings.

For now, the air force is not flying any of the choppers, and training exercises will be delayed likely until next week while the investigation is underway.

"These three days are giving us a chance to take the information we have and assess where we're going to go in the future," a spokesperson from Shearwater told CTV.ca

"We've got to look at all options. There are options of replacing aircraft for the ship, or replacing the crew on the ship; and also whether we are going to be flying, and if so, when?"

In 1993, Jean Chretien's newly elected government cancelled a Tory plan that would have replaced the Sea Kings by 2000.

Last year the government contracted to purchase 28 Cyclones to replace the Sea Kings, but the first aircraft won't be delivered until late 2008. The last Sea King is expected to retire in 2011.

With files from The Canadian Press

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Ya know, next time I'm going to read the articles BEFORE I post them instead of after like I usually do .... they're almost EXACTLY THE SAME!!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe since Canada's elected a more conservative government, the military won't be getting the short end any longer...

Forum Member

One would hope so, yes.

http://www.ctv.ca/mini/election2006/...ervatives.html

There are some issues I agree with, others that I do not.

Here's the Defense platform:

Defence
    Make Parliament responsible for exercising oversight over the conduct of Canadian foreign policy and the commitment of Canadian Forces to foreign operations
    Recruit 13,000 additional regular forces and 10,000 additional reserve forces personnel
    Increase spending on the Canadian Forces by $5.3 billion over the next five years
    Expand recruiting and training, reduce rank structure overhead, review civilian and military HQ functions, and increase front-line personnel
    Increase investment in base infrastructure and housing for Canadian troops
    Acquire equipment needed to support a multi-role, combat-capable maritime, land, and air force
    Increase the Canadian Forces’ capacity to protect Canada’s Arctic sovereignty and security
    Restore the regular army presence in British Columbia
    Treat Canada’s veterans with the respect and honour that they deserve, and ensure better responsiveness to veterans with a Veterans’ Bill of Rights and a Veterans’ Ombudsman
    Name a National Security Commissioner with the responsibility of providing recommendations on how to coordinate the work of the RCMP, CSIS, the Canada Border Services Agency, a revitalized Coast Guard, a reinstated Ports Police, and a new Canadian Foreign Intelligence Agency, as well as the security aspects of the Departments of Immigration and Transport
    Create a Canadian Foreign Intelligence Agency to gather intelligence overseas, counter threats, and increase allied intelligence operations
    Establish the Canadian Coast Guard as a stand-alone agency and honour plans to invest $276 million over five years in expanding and updating fleet
    Create a National Security Review Committee to ensure oversight and a greater degree of accountability and transparency regarding Canada’s national security efforts
    Ensure agencies such as CSIS, RCMP, and the Canada Border Services Agency have adequate resources and equipment.
    Provide our border officers with sidearms and the training required for their use
    Ensure there are no “workalone” posts for the safety of these officers
    Reopen RCMP border detachments in Quebec and the West
    Deploy face recognition and other biometric technology at border crossings and ports of entry

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Maybe since Canada's elected a more conservative government, the military won't be getting the short end any longer...
    HAH I wish. Well I can hope at least, but I don't think things will change much any time soon, unfortunately.

We've lost some very good people over the past 18 years of my service because these birds keep falling out of thes sky on their own violition. Because of that, I am sure that the maintenance records are well up to the investigation (or at least I hope so) based on personal experience I have with a couple of the air crews.

Just very happy that there wont be any funerals because of this incident.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Hey Rick, do you still have your TC subscription?

Can you please post the rest of this ..... THANKS!

Sea King crash blamed on human error

Decades-old chopper had no mechanical problems, military personnel say

HALIFAX -- The crash of a Sea King helicopter off the coast of Denmark Thursday was the result of human error, not mechanical failure, according to air force members in Halifax familiar with the pilots and helicopter support crew on board the destroyer HMCS Athabaskan.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information