Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber rualfire's Avatar

Default Sample Fire service Resume's

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to post fire service specific resume samples.

I'm appling on a posistion as an emergency services co-ordinator. I'm a volly with 8 years experience. My day job is in computer networking, and my resume doesn't relate very well to the fire service.

I'm looking for meaningful ways to highlight my operational experience as a FF and training officer.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. If you'd rather not post here, you can email me at randy@ruralfire.ca

Thanks
    SRFD905 - Serving since 1998

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Forum Member

Default Firefighter Resumes

I’m a one-page resume guy for entry level without a cover letter, not in a binder or folder. Do not give us a book. We will not read it. The board does not have enough time. And do not come an interview thinking you are going to hand out your resume and we’re going to read it. That is not going to happen. This upsets the normal flow of the interview. We’re going to read your application and resume before you come in the room. If you submit a resume, get it to personnel to be placed in your file before the interview. Don’t fax It. Make the appropriate copies and hand deliver or FedEx them.

Here's a sample resume:

Carl Mcfly
    1284 Main St.
    Kensington, Ca 94588
    Phone: 510-286-5890 e-mail: Iwantafirejob@aol.com

OBJECTIVE: To achieve a level within the fire service.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:

Firefighter Fire Department, CA 2-00 Present
    Duties include but are not limited to fire suppression in structural as well as wild land environments and emergency medical services under highly stressful emergency conditions. Also, fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance under the supervision of a Captain, always focusing on providing quality customer service.

Engineer (Acting) 2-03 Present

Firefighter Fire Department (Auxiliary) 3-99 2-00
    Perform in a probationary capacity under emergency situations, fire suppression, emergency medical services, also fire prevention, public education, vehicle and station maintenance.

EMT Ambulance Service, CA 3-99 2-00
    Perform under emergency situations; emergency medical services under the direction of Redondo Beach and L.A. County Fire Department Paramedics. Vehicle and station maintenance and Code-3 driving.

INSTRUCTOR Emergency Response CPR Training 3-03 Present
    Adult, Child, & Infant CPR training for the community as well as for the professional rescuer.

Owner/Operator Pool Company, CA 5-97 2-00
    Service and repair of residential and commercial pools and spas according to County Health Department specifications.

EDUCATION
    Bachelor’s Degree EMT Defib and Combitube certified
    Firefighter I Red Cross certified CPR Instructor
    Firefighter II Federal Red Card System Member
    Driver/Operator State certified Class B Driver’s License

ACTIVITIES
    Member of State University Track and Field Team.
    Member of State University X-Country Team.
    Volunteer for Hubbs Institute White Sea Bass Population Restoration Project.
    Volunteer for Red Cross on various projects.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thanks for your input.

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Forum Member

This is a job specific resume from Microsoft Office Online. It is for a firefighter.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CT011413021033

Thanks Again. I've downloaded the MS office template as well.

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is mine, very simple and to the point and hopefully easy to follow. I cut and pasted here but it actually looks alittle better on Word. Also, as far as education, in an effort to keep it one page, I only included a few key certs I thought would be important. Any thoughts on this? Should I include ALL my training as it relates to the fire service even if it bumps the resume to two pages?

Robert “Chad” Ashton
    123 West Main Street
    Romney, WV 26757
    (304) 555-1234 – Home Phone
    (304) 555-4321 – Cell Phone
    FFwannabe@hotmail.com

Experience

• Hampshire County Sheriff’s Office – Deputy Sheriff
    Romney, WV
    August, 2000 to present

• Potomac Highlands Regional Jail – Correction Officer
    Augusta, WV
    December, 1999 to August, 2000

Education

• Medical First Responder 5/6/93 (Will finish EMT-B classes in February 2006)

• Firefighter I 8/8/94

• Breathing Apparatus Techniques 4/9/95

• Auto Extrication Operations 8/05

• Low Angle/High Angle Rope Operations 10/22/05

Volunteer Service

• Romney Fire Company
    Romney, WV
    May, 2005 to present

• Romney Volunteer Rescue Squad
    Romney, WV
    October, 2005 to present

• Capon Bridge Volunteer Fire Department/Rescue Squad
    Capon Bridge, WV
    1993 to 1997
    Last edited by cashton; 02-05-2006 at 09:47 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cashton, thats a heckuva resume. Do you have a lot of luck when you apply to departments?

I keep my resume short, just under one page. So far, other then previous jobs, I only have firefighter 1 and 2 NPQ and Florida firefighter 1, currently working at a degree in fire science, and hopefully admitted to EMT school in the spring around April or May, also have 4 years volunteer experience. While I'm in EMT school I hope to take some advanced short courses, such as haz mat technician, basic extrication. Three interviews, no job offers, so I'm almost positive it's the interviews or locations for me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffman02
    Cashton, thats a heckuva resume. Do you have a lot of luck when you apply to departments?

I keep my resume short, just under one page. So far, other then previous jobs, I only have firefighter 1 and 2 NPQ and Florida firefighter 1, currently working at a degree in fire science, and hopefully admitted to EMT school in the spring around April or May, also have 4 years volunteer experience. While I'm in EMT school I hope to take some advanced short courses, such as haz mat technician, basic extrication. Three interviews, no job offers, so I'm almost positive it's the interviews or locations for me.
    Well, not so far. I have only just started submitting applications and have not really started turning in my resume. Mine is only one page but I ommitted some of my training to keep it that length.

Forum Member

Default Revised

First off I think the Microsoft format has many carryovers of a regular corporate resume by listing experience when it could be a duplicate of what is contained under education. It also shows under volunteering a firefighter volunteer position that would carry more weight under experience. I believe they don’t understand that in most firefighter interviews there is a limited amount of time to review the resumes before the candidate walks into the room. Don’t send us on a treasure hunt. Hit us with your best stuff first.

Chad wrote:

I only included a few key certs I thought would be important. Any thoughts on this? Should I include ALL my training as it relates to the fire service even if it bumps the resume to two pages?

Reply: You can add a second column under education that will allow space to include all your education, training and certs. Since we tend to read left to right begin on the upper left column with the most important education or training and go down and to the second column to the right in descending order.

I made some minor changes to your resume. Notice when the volunteer section is moved to Profession Experience the true title of Firefighter in bold jumps out down the left side. There it is Firefighter, Firefighter, Firefigher right where the raters begin to read:

Robert “Chad” Ashton
    123 West Main Street
    Romney, WV 26757
    Phone (304) 555-1234 e-mail: FFwannabe@hotmail.com

Profession Experience:

Firefighter (Vol) Romney Fire Company, WV May 2005 to present

Firefighter (Vol) Romney Rescue Squad, WV Oct 2005 to present

Firefighter (Vol) Capon Bridge Fire/Rescue Squad, WV 1993 to 1997

Deputy Sheriff Hampshire County – Romney, WV Aug 2000 - present

Correction Officer Potomac Jail –Augusta, Dec1999 to Aug 2000

Education

• Firefighter I

• Medical First Responder

• EMT-B (February 2006)

• Breathing Apparatus Techniques

• Auto Extrication Operations

• Low Angle/High Angle Rope Operations

Which resume makes you look best as a qualified firefighter candidate?
    Last edited by CaptBob; 02-05-2006 at 10:47 PM.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Question A little help please???

I posted this on another thread and got no response, I am hoping someone will see this post and help me out.

I need someone to write my resume and cover letter that is due in a few weeks for a department I am applying for. I have found a few resume writing services out there and don’t know which is better. If you have used www.fdresume.com or any other services, can you let me know how they did and if it was worth it.

I have a resume I wrote in high school but it looks like crap and I could use some help adding structure and some creativity to my sentences so I stand out from the other thousands of applicants.

I’m not looking to bring out the spammers, if you would like to e-mail me your opinion on the service you used, that would be wonderful too.
    If you have used fdresume and have a copy of the work they did, could you e-mail it to me so I can see what their product looks like?

Thanks guys

Having hired a few people in my time (not in the fire service, but I have scanned many a resume), may I offer this piece of advice? Learn how to use MS Word well enough that you can alter your resume to look a little bit different than the "standard" Word templates.

When I see one of those standard resumes it smacks of laziness. Make yours stand out, just a little bit, so that it doesn't look EXACTLY like every other resume that's crossing the desk of the person doing the hiring.

Don't go crazy with fonts and tables and stuff. Just tweak it enough to make it unique, so that it doesn't blend in with the rest but doesn't stand out as tacky either. It's a fine line, I'll admit.

Also, have someone you trust check it for grammar and spelling. Spell check does not catch everything, and you have already shown a knack for apostrophe abuse in the title of this thread (it should be resumes, not resume's)

Here's an example of something that is "correct" in terms of a spellchecker, but is obviously wrong:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
    It came with my pea sea
    It plainly marques four my revue
    Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
    And weight four it two say
    Weather eye am wrong oar write
    It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
    It nose bee fore two long
    And eye can put the error rite
    Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
    I am shore your pleased two no
    Its letter perfect in it's weigh
    My chequer tolled me sew.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffemtp009 View Post
    I posted this on another thread and got no response, I am hoping someone will see this post and help me out.

I need someone to write my resume and cover letter that is due in a few weeks for a department I am applying for. I have found a few resume writing services out there and don’t know which is better. If you have used www.fdresume.com or any other services, can you let me know how they did and if it was worth it.

I have a resume I wrote in high school but it looks like crap and I could use some help adding structure and some creativity to my sentences so I stand out from the other thousands of applicants.

I’m not looking to bring out the spammers, if you would like to e-mail me your opinion on the service you used, that would be wonderful too.
    If you have used fdresume and have a copy of the work they did, could you e-mail it to me so I can see what their product looks like?

Thanks guys
    Dude, DO NOT pay anyone to help you with your resume. You can do this with a little help.

Remember, your resmue does not get you the job. Your resume and cover letter gets you the interview. After that, it is all up to you.

If you want to email me your resume, I will be more than happy to look it over and help you out. You can delete your personal info if you'd like. I don't need that.

My personal email is wendtcfi@optonline.net.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default here is mine

See attachment. The names were changed to protct the innocent. I encourage you to include all significant job experience. I think it is good to use other work experience outside the fire service in an interview and thus should be part of your resume. I especcially think that any candidate with a good customer service backround makes a better firefighter candidate.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Member

Unhappy went with a service, hope it is all it's cracked up to be...

Thanks for the advice; I wish I would have checked my posting earlier. I ended up going with fdreusme.com over the other services because the price was right and they were willing to do a phone interview so I would not have to type or fax anything.

We did the phone interview tonight at 9. The guy that is writing my resume said he teaches professional development for a fire science program and is a firefighter himself. I goggled his name and found a few newspaper clippings and publications that match his info and e-mail address so I think it is really being written by someone that knows what is going on (or I hope so).
    The interview lasted about 20minutes and he said he will get me a resume draft to approve by 10am tomorrow.

I might have been able to do it my self, but hopefully this works out and I will have a quality resume by the weekend.

I will let you know how it goes and will post the final product for all of you to scrutinize!!!

Forum Member

I have a friend who recieved several offers in southern CA before accepting a job with Orange County Fire Authority. He would submit his 1 page resume and put the key words in bold print to make them stand out more. He would also add a second collum to keep it one page. I agree the interview gets you the job, but a nice resume can help put a positive spin on things.

Peace,

Kev

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Remember, your resmue does not get you the job. Your resume and cover letter gets you the interview. After that, it is all up to you.
    Bing Bing Bing!! We have a winnah!!

Whether you are young and new, or just leaving a long-term position and brushing up on your resume skills, this is a huge and common mistake that people make when they start applying. I had a kid fresh out of college with three minor certs and maybe three past part-time jobs send me a four-page "Curriculum Vitae" for a resort security/emt job. I eventually gave it the benefit of the doubt and read it anyway, but I was already dissappointed, and it just didn't get any further. Trying too hard, and fails to grasp the KISS concept.

When I'm hiring staff for our company, I want to see a clean, organized and concise resume that confirms you meet the minimum requirements, and lists your recent work history, any TRULY noteworthy accomplishments and maybe long-term volunteer history (If you don't have a lot of related jobs or education to list). We'll cover the rest in the various interviews.

That one page layout Capt. Bob suggested is perfect. Don't get too fancy, it will just turn off the reader. As George suggested, spend that time preparing for the interview stage. That is where you sink or swim.

And George,

Good advice of course, but just make sure you spell resume right on his copy.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    Bing Bing Bing!! We have a winnah!!

Whether you are young and new, or just leaving a long-term position and brushing up on your resume skills, this is a huge and common mistake that people make when they start applying. I had a kid fresh out of college with three minor certs and maybe three past part-time jobs send me a four-page "Curriculum Vitae" for a resort security/emt job. I eventually gave it the benefit of the doubt and read it anyway, but I was already dissappointed, and it just didn't get any further. Trying too hard, and fails to grasp the KISS concept.

When I'm hiring staff for our company, I want to see a clean, organized and concise resume that confirms you meet the minimum requirements, and lists your recent work history, any TRULY noteworthy accomplishments and maybe long-term volunteer history (If you don't have a lot of related jobs or education to list). We'll cover the rest in the various interviews.

That one page layout Capt. Bob suggested is perfect. Don't get too fancy, it will just turn off the reader. As George suggested, spend that time preparing for the interview stage. That is where you sink or swim.

And George,

A lot of people make that mistake. A CV is different than a resume. My CV is over 20 pages long. I need to submit this every time I testify in court or at a deposition. A CV is an in-depth detailed statement of your qualifications. A CV is very clearly not appropriate for a job application. It is possible that the interviewer may ask you to bring a CV, but it should never be mailed to them as a first contact.

And George,

Who the hell are you to question me about the way I spelled resmue? I am George and if I say that is the way the word is spelled, than that is the way it is spelled from now on. Got it?

I never spell check my posts. Hell, that would be over 10,000 spell checks. I would have burned up the computer.

Forum Member

Default Resumes are not a Substitute!

Mcaldwell is correct about it’s the interview that gets you the job. That’s where rubber meets the road. Where you putt for dollars.

If it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will not get credit!

Question:
    If they don't accept resumes, then how are they going to know what I did? Will I somehow have to work all that information in the oral? And if so how and where? Thank you- a confused wannabe

Reply:
    One of the major error's candidate's make is thinking that because I have listed experience and credentials on my application and resume, I don't have to cover everything or go into depth. This is a big ERROR! You have to tell them. Understand if it doesn't come out of your mouth, you will never get credit! I can't tell you how many times we saw some great stuff on a resume and said, "Let's see if the candidate tells us about this?" Many did not.

Yes, you have to work all that information into your oral. You have to be ready to make your presentation before you walk into the room. Many candidates think some kind of magic is going to happen during the oral board. "Magic is where preparation meets opportunity." It is not a difficult task. Most candidates complicate this process.

I suggest you start working up your answers so when the notice comes you don't want to go below and fall on your sword. You need a hand held recorder that goes everywhere your car keys go to hear what the panel is going to hear out of your mouth.

Try this. Take 3X5 cards and write down your oral board questions. You can find Sample Oral Board Questions here http://eatstress.com/thirty22.htm Practice your answers with the recorder. If you hear something you do not like when you play it back, turn over the 3X5 card and write it down. The next time you go after that question, turn over the card first and see what you don't want to say.

Practice makes permanent.

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Mcaldwell is correct about it’s the interview that gets you the job.
    That would make me right, too. But it would have killed you to say that, huh?

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Who the hell are you to question me about the way I spelled resmue? I am George and if I say that is the way the word is spelled, than that is the way it is spelled from now on. Got it?

I'd adjust my MS Word Dictionary accordingly, but it is already full with words I inadvertently made up.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information