Forum Member

Exclamation wellness/fitness grants

Hi my name is Amanda and I am trying to find some grants for Health and Fitness for my Fire Department. We are trying to get a home gym for the station and I did not know if any one had any ideas on where I could look for said grants. thank you

FH Mag/.com Contributor

AFG does have a category for Health and Wellness where you could apply for fitness equipment for the station.

As long as you are a career or combination department with 24/7 paid crews it's a viable option. Volunteer FDs I highly doubt the success since there is no guarantee that the equipment would have a draw on anyone.

Also check with your local Wal-Mart, they give a few hundred to fire departments in the areas where they have stores and a good draw of shoppers. Maybe they'd even just hand over a nice set of equipment instead of the dough. You never know until you ask.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

Not so about VFD's.
    Our 100% volunteer dept received a wellness and fitness grant in round 4 for 2005.
    We outfitted a complete gym and implemented a cardiac risk reduction program. Just be creative and design a COMPLETE program. Include physicals for your firefighters if you don't already offer them. The gym equipment for which we received funding was 75% cardio training and 25% strenght training. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFEX30
    Not so about VFD's.
    Our 100% volunteer dept received a wellness and fitness grant in round 4 for 2005.
    We outfitted a complete gym and implemented a cardiac risk reduction program. Just be creative and design a COMPLETE program. Include physicals for your firefighters if you don't already offer them. The gym equipment for which we received funding was 75% cardio training and 25% strenght training. Good luck.
    I believe what Brian was trying to illustrate, in that statement, was that VFDs will have "less priority" and as such it may not be a wise choice for them.

Most VFDs do not have a "wellness & fitness" component involved in their programs from a standpoint of "mandatory" participation like some of the career departments. The program guidance was quite clear that you had to have an "incentive or mandatory" participation to recieve a higher priority and thereby gain favorable review.

It is usually just plain cost prohibitive for them, with meager budgets, to be paying for bi-yearly and entrance physicals and immunization programs when they can't even buy gas to put in their apparatus. Hell, most of them are lucky to get their members to just show up for the fires, yet alone training or a "30 minute workout" session.

Nothing is impossible, as obviously we have all seen on many subjects in grants. One thing that no grant writer in their right mind would ever say is that anything is "100%"sure"; as sure as hell as we do, some group of 3 peer reviewers will get a wild hair up their collective %$* and just totally violate everything that the rest of us thought was an absolute in the program.

Congratulations to your dpeartment though. You obviously impressed the peer panel with a well thought out program and articulated that clearly so that the pendulum swung in your direction.
    Last edited by ktb9780; 02-04-2006 at 05:53 PM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Kurt hit it. The original thread was about fitness equipment, and that's what I meant won't happen by itself. And as you mentioned, you had a complete solution with physicals and everything else. The fitness equipment is still a low priority piece of the pie, and without the rest of it your application wouldn't have been as strong, nor will anyone else's. Without a comprehensive approach as yours was designed as, it will be a long shot just for gym equipment.

Thread Information