Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

Default What does one do in this situation???

Sky diving goes wrong

Click here
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

"What does one do in this situation"???

PRAY!...FAST!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

That is a HUGE problem!

The cords for the chute are obviously all twisted and the chute is most likely in a position where it won't open properly if it slips off the plane's horizontal stabilizer. The best thing that can happen to this guy is that the chute stays tangled up on there and figure something out on the ground. I'm going to assume that plane has a full flaps stall speed of around 60-70kts (75-80mph). the guy dropping into water or soft ground isn't an option because no matter what you do, hitting the ground at 80mph is not going to be good. Given a really long *** runway and a big pickup truck that can keep up, the plane could come in low and slow to match speed with a truck on the ground and hopefully people in the back can grab him and cut the ropes. It's been done before and is about the only option that involves the guy surviving in one piece.

The other problem here is that half of the horizontal stabalizer now had that big parachute wrapped around it. That half of the control surface is now usless and you just prey it does get in the gap and jam the elevator completely. Provided it doesn't get jammed in a precarious position, it shouldn't prevent the pilot from being able to safely maneuver the plane but it is an un-needed wrench in the gears none-the-less. The other challenge to the pilot is going to be maneuvering the plane without making the chute slip off the tail. Gentle and gradual. Right turns only and use the throttles as much as possible instead of the elevator.

I suppose the other option is that if there is still someone with a chute that knows what they are doing on the plane, they could do a movie-like mid-air rescue of the free-falling victim after he is freed from the tail.

In conclusion, I can't think of a more disturbing position to be in. I'd rather just fall without the chute, at least you know your going to die and you can enjoy the ride. In that position, you are inches from death but know there is a chance you might make it but don't know exactly how.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Banned

I gotta ask where would that guys reserve chute be? would he not be able to break away and then deploy the reserve?

I suppose that is another option I hadn't thought of. Assuming it isn't damaged from the tension of that position he is in now. I'm not sure I would want to trust it. I would probably put my money on a guy in the pickup truck and save the reserve for if it rips off the plane before hand.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I suppose at this point bending over to grab one's ankles whist kissing one's arse good-bye isn't really much of an option either.

Bad enough situation for the guy haging off the tail assembly, but now the pilot is doing the "Holy F. Now how do we get this pig safetly to ground without crashing it?"

Be interesting to know what happened at the end of this story.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

A level left turn at a 45 degree angle of bank should allow the chute to slip off of the stabilizer. The skydiver could then activate the reserve chute and land .
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo
    A level left turn at a 45 degree angle of bank should allow the chute to slip off of the stabilizer. The skydiver could then activate the reserve chute and land .
    In theory

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Release the main chute, and use the reserve. This is essentially a fouled chute, and that's one of the conditions they train for. It may seem dramatic, but it shouldn't be a big deal. He's really lucky that he didn't smack his melon on the way out.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Could you also use a rope to put out another chute for the guy?

Other than that, throw him a bag of peanuts and leave the seats in the full upright position.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Refer to the thread on being a Christian in the fire service!!!!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well,..............

I guess you could start composing a letter........ "Dear Mrs. Smith, We are writing in regard to your late husband. Please do not continue to keep dinner warm on the back burner........."
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information