Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Remote Monitors for Brushtrucks

We are thinking about getting a remote monitor for the front of our 6x6 2 1/2 ton brushtruck 1,000gallon tank and 125gpm pump. Mostly to asist when were short firefighters and to knock down the fire line fast. This is a very expensive item for us, we are a very small rural dept. we only have 6 fire fighters. Would like to know pros and cons from people who have actual used them, and how do you protect them. We take our 6x6 almost anyway, through brush, bushes, forrests etc. Thanks for you help.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one on our tanker (3200 gal) and use it from the road quite effectively, especially with foam. Hopes are that we can do one on our next brush truck so we can take it into the fields. That should be and Ops & Safety request as equipment.

How long have you had the 6x6 and was it in good mechanical condition when you acquired it?? We're considering the FEPP approach, but some of the veterans are gun-shy from experiences with a late '50's version. Nothing major--just little stuff like having to steer by feathering the throttle and brakes that woked sometimes regardless of whether the pedal was depressed!! Some people have no sense of adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2
    We have one on our tanker (3200 gal) and use it from the road quite effectively, especially with foam. Hopes are that we can do one on our next brush truck so we can take it into the fields. That should be and Ops & Safety request as equipment.

How long have you had the 6x6 and was it in good mechanical condition when you acquired it?? We're considering the FEPP approach, but some of the veterans are gun-shy from experiences with a late '50's version. Nothing major--just little stuff like having to steer by feathering the throttle and brakes that woked sometimes regardless of whether the pedal was depressed!! Some people have no sense of adventure.
    "No sense of adventure", why Earl coming from you that is just an absolute understatement buddy!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Greenacres2

I have nothing but great things to say about our 6x6's. We have two one is the brushtruck already mentioned the other is a 5 ton 6x6 2,000 tanker. We get ours through Arkansas Forestry Commission. They have a program that we can get the chassis on permment loan as long as we follow some basic rules. 1) must be under cover. 2) must be painted red,white, yellow. 3) county must cover insurance. If anything major goes wrong tranny, engine, etc then we can trade is in for another one. Minor problems and normal maintenance we cover. Most are from the late 60's ours are 67' and 68'. and the only problem we have ever had was dead battries once in a while, but we solve that with good quality trickle chargers. We had a 6x6 tanker from another dept that we were going to take the tank off but changed our minds and gave it to another dept, but it sat for a year and was never touched not even started. All we did was recharge the battery and it fired right up. As for parts we can get some from returned 6x6 chassis's at Arkansas foresrty yard, and theres a great place in Memphis tenn. called Memphis Equipement. http://www.memphisequipment.com/ they deal in 6x6's and is great for parts. But like I said, we have never had a reason to get parts and we have had our brush truck for 7 yrs now, and we certainly don;t baby it. We didn't even pay for the paint job, we did it our selves becuase it will get scratched up on the first fire anyway, so why spend the extra money.
    Most of the towns on Long Island New York using 6x6's and call them stumpjumpers and have them specially rigged up with lots of roll bars and brush guards. But over all I would very highly recommend them. The 2 1/2 tons can safely hold 1,250 gallons off road but I recommend no more then a 750 or 1,000 gallons for more reserve engine power off road. But thats alot more water then a 200 or 300 gallons of smaller rigs. The 5 ton can carry 2,000 safely but for heavy wildland firefighting I would stay under 1,500, and keep the tank centered and low profile. Thats 5 times the water of smaller units and trust me 5 times more power. Our brushtruck has 750 tank, a high pressure 125 gpm darley pump. 200ft 1" hard line reel, 300 ft 1 1/2 hose. and 700ft of 1" forestry hose with shut offs so we can stretch extra 1" hose with only turning off the closest shut off and not have to shut it off at the truck. ( at great system)and were putting on Foaom Pro 1600 injection foam in about 2 weeks. Several fire dept in my area have them and love them. Sorry to carry on so much but we really love our 6x6's. Any questions email me would be glad to help you out.

I put this whole thread in the wrong forum and im going to try to move it to vol or wildland.

MembersZone Subscriber

If your're putting 1000gal on a duece or 2000gal on a 5t your exceeding the recommended (safe) off road capacity.

5t is rated at 10000lb off road (go anywhere you have traction (or don't roll it)), 20000lb on road. For military that is 1200gal of fuel (@6.2lb/gal). So 5t smart load is around 1200gal. Yes can haul much much larger load but be smart and make the truck last.

Everything you could want to know about conversion is at http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/

At present DOD (FEPP) has a large vol of M813 series 5t available (1970s mfg) many will have been reman. There are still some M52 series coming thru the system. If you take time/shop you can find USMC M813 that were reman in the 1990s and converted to supersingles w/dropside bed etc. The Marines don't know diddly about maintenance though so look their trucks over carefully. There also are now a fair qty of M925 series 5t (Cummins/Allison/3man cab early 80s vintage) coming into the DOD surplus system. And now beginning to see some M925A1 series (supersingles, mid/late 80s vintage). The military is getting rid of all the M923 (including A1/A2/A3) and older series 5t and replacing with FMTV 6x6 so will be many good 5t available over the next few years. Many of the M923 series will now have the goofy looking Iraq armor cab (w/aircond.).

Lots of VERY good duece (2 1/3t) available but the limited water load should be considered. Limit to no more than around 600gal. But GVWR may be an issue in your state for duece vs 5t. If you look hard and are lucky you may be able to get your hands on a M35A3 (late 90s rebuild with CAT, Allison, supersingles, full air brakes, central tire inflation system).

I'd recommend the 5t however. And look for an M925 or better yet M925A1

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780
    "No sense of adventure", why Earl coming from you that is just an absolute understatement buddy!
    Me? I'm just a conservative insurance agent. The guys that founded and built our department in the '50's and 60's were taking huge risks just to get to a call. Some of their apparatus was suspect to say the least. And gear...we were cleaning a closet last week and found some helmets they bought used. 1948 vintage Cairns plastic (bakelite??) if i recall correctly. No liners, no padding. Those guys had real kahonies compared to our crew today.

Kurt, we'll be in touch on this narrative soon.
    earl

Thread Information