Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Red face Pregnant...now what

Hey all..I posted this in a different forum, and someone suggested to post here it for a possible better response so here it goes...
    I just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant. I have only been on the job for 8 months. (Probationary period 1 yr)
    I haven't told any one yet. I was thinking of going to my union president first, then my chief. But some one suggested "the chain of command"
    Also, since I am the 2nd female on the job, we do not have a maternity policy in place. We don't have much of light duty work around here..So my question to you is
    ?Is there a policy out there on pregnany terms we can adopt?
    ?What are my rights as a probie? if any
    ?How should I go about telling my crew and others????????????
    Any advice will help.....Thanks in advance..............<><

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Well, I know this is going to sound harsh but here goes anyways. Your timing sucks. But you know as well as I do they won't fire you for being pregnant so get together with the Union and Admin and find out what they want you to do. DON'T DELAY. It is unfair to your fellow firefighters for them not to know and it is massively unfair for you to place your FD in the position of a possible lawsuit for harm to your unborn child.

FyredUp

Forum Member

You appear to be missing an important link here. I would also ask your doctor for advise about whether or not you are putting your baby at risk and at what stage he/she feels that you should terminate activities.

Congatulations and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrogenonfire
    Hey all..I posted this in a different forum, and someone suggested to post here it for a possible better response so here it goes...
    I just found out I am 6 weeks pregnant. I have only been on the job for 8 months. (Probationary period 1 yr)
    I haven't told any one yet. I was thinking of going to my union president first, then my chief. But some one suggested "the chain of command"
    Also, since I am the 2nd female on the job, we do not have a maternity policy in place. We don't have much of light duty work around here..So my question to you is
    ?Is there a policy out there on pregnany terms we can adopt?
    ?What are my rights as a probie? if any
    ?How should I go about telling my crew and others????????????
    Any advice will help.....Thanks in advance..............<><
    Hi, firstly please understand that not every one is as insensitive as some of the responses posted here.

Secondly, although I'm in a different country from you I presume legislation is similar, In my country there is federal legislation in place regarding maternity leave. also your employer will not want to find themselves in contravention of the Constitution? (Charter of Rights in my country) which here states that one cannot discriminate against someone for any reason.

Thirdly check with your union, I'm sure they will be of much assistance to you in this matter, as with all things.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

I can't help you out with the legal end of it, but as far as hurting the baby the chance, unless something really bad happens, is very minimal until your later months. The other exception to that is if you've had a miscarriage or stillbirth previous to this, otherwise and your doc will confirm this, to do what you would normally do. Now mind you, you may be more sensative to odors and other things, because of being pregnant, so just be aware of it.
    And by the way congratulations!

Forum Member

Default pregnancy manual

If you are looking for information and a very complete pregnancy manual i know that Fairfax County Fire and Rescue in Fairfax, Virginia just recently completed and issued a 45 page pregnancy manual. They are a 1200 member department with about 150 females. i would suggest contacting them and asking for a copy of it. www.fairfaxcounty.gov then go to public safety then fire.

Forum Member

First of all.... Congrats. I just became a father for the second time the other day. Although I am not in your shoes, we do not have a maternity policy for the fathers. My only advice to you is for you to look in to the State laws that your department has to follow. I was intitled to the Family leave act, but I must take that without pay. I opted to use my sick and vacation time. You unfortunately can not do this. As far as you telling your crew I understand the position that you are in. You probably don't want them to over cautious with you. But at the same time I agree with one of the other forums that you should check with your Doc to make sure the little one is OK. Good luck and make sure you contact your human Resources Dept. or the State Office.

Forum Member

Fire you for being pregnant?I doubt any city would do that.Fire you for keeping it secret? Many departments would because your failure to inform them puts your baby,you and possibly your co-workers at risk.Tell them as soon as possible.

Thread Information