Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Savannah GA fire dept

Hey guys, wanted to see if anyone knew about Savannah Georgia's hiring? I went to their site and noticed they would be taking applications until the beginning of March. Does anyone know about Savannah's hiring process, or what the testing was like? I know it has a written, agility, background, interview, but not sure if anyone has ever applied there before or knew exactly how many they were hiring. I sent it in my completed application to take a written at the end of April and then the CPAT agility the same day or next day.

MembersZone Subscriber

I applied back in August when they were taking application before. I've gone throught the written, cpat, and oral interview. I'm not sure if they've done my background investigation or not? From the grapevine I've heard they will be putting on two or three academy's during 2007. It seems like it is taking forever but it'll be worth the wait if I get hired. I keep hearing from friends that are on the dept. that the ISO reviewed the amount of stations and due to the recent growth of the city they plan on adding additional stations. Who knows when though. I also found the 2007-2008 city budget either on the city's website or through www.savannahnow.com. In the budget notes they do have money budgeted for additional firefighters. Of couse this could all change with today's economy. Hope I answered a few of your questions.

Forum Member

Default savannah fire fire dept

i actually just sent off my app to savannah this week...the paper they sent me says they will be accepting apps until march 8th, the written test will be friday june 8th and saturday june 9th scheduled upon aplication and the physical ability test will be on the same days after passing the written exam...at least thats what the paper they sent along with my app says.

and there is also a manditory meeting regarding the cpat testing process on tuesday march 13, 2007 and also on saturday march 24, 207
    GeorgiaFF20

Forum Member

Savannah has a very long process and it's hard to get on there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kinda bringing this one back from the dead. I just got my interview date for the end of August, anybody know how many are still in the process?

Thanks,

Bobby

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard they will be interviewing 26 but not sure if that number is correct, the offical date I got was the 17th of Aug.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info, Mine is on the 17th as well. Any idea how many they might be hiring from this group?

Thanks a lot,

Bobby

p.s. were you part of that big group of MI guys, if so I think we talked a bit at the written.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was talking to one of the Captains while we were at the written and she said that from this group they want 2 new guys on each shift at the new stations and said there was a possibility of more by the end of the year. If my memory serves me correctly I think the number she gave was at least 18 but could be alot more I also heard from some of the guys at the physical that the numbers could be between 24 and 48 because of retirements and the new annexation.

P.S. I am one of the MI guys, where were we talking at?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FF Savannah Georgia

Content removed by user
    Last edited by STFDEARLEY; 05-25-2011 at 01:27 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

There were at 7 or 8 I think

Since you work there were the numbers I heard Correct?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks again for the info.

I talked to a few Michigan guys on the stairs outside the civic center between the written and the CPAT. I was from Illinois if that helps at all.

Bobby

MembersZone Subscriber

Yup I remember There were three of us on the stairs, two wearing depratment shirts and I was the third not wearing one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Content removed by user

Forum Member

So how did you all feel about your interviews? Worried about mine not lasting long enough. I don't even think I broke 10 mins on mine. Did anyone ever get a number of how many total showed up for the interview? Looked to be a pretty good bit while I was there. Was told by the HR person that academy has been pushed back to Jan.

MembersZone Subscriber

HR Rep told me that there were 42 that showed up and there are 20 to 25 spots. I think they tried to keep them to 10 to 15 minutes because they were doing them all in 1 day. I actually saw a Guy show up in shorts and a hat on. Count him out!! But I felt pretty good about mine they said they would be notifiying in late September or October.

Forum Member

Wow, yeah I wore a suit to play it safe. Anyway just the next academy is 20-25, but from my understanding is that this list can also be used in the making of the mid-2008 academy as well. Least that's the way I understood the HR rep. I hope I understood that right.

MembersZone Subscriber

Content removed by user

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STFDEARLEY View Post
    I have been told that all hiring for Savannah Fire Dept. has been put on hold and they city will not hire anymore interm positions. So it looks like there will not be a rookie class in 2007, hopefully in early 2008. In Interm positions I mean, that there are a lot of promotions that have to happen and open slots for Captain and Master Firefighter. These need to be filled before the city hires more rookies.
    Thanks for that information. That seems to confirm what the HR rep told me then about the next class was looking to start in Jan. Looks like we might have applied at the right time, cause now might not open for applications for awhile now. I guess the more promotions then the better off we'll be. Thanks for the info again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jan 7 class

I just talked to HR and it sounds like background are done and we should be hearing from them soon I'm also from Michigan I seen that guy with shorts and hat too what are you thinking a professional job and wearing that what a first impression.

I also heard that they looking for 25 for Jan 7 start date and the ones that didn't make it to that class will be in July August class 2008 and there not accepting apps for that class as of now. Just what I heard.

Cant wait to find out looks like a great dept to work for. My interview was i think 14 mins give or take a couple I time it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firewyoming28 View Post
    I just talked to HR and it sounds like background are done and we should be hearing from them soon I'm also from Michigan I seen that guy with shorts and hat too what are you thinking a professional job and wearing that what a first impression.

I also heard that they looking for 25 for Jan 7 start date and the ones that didn't make it to that class will be in July August class 2008 and there not accepting apps for that class as of now. Just what I heard.

Cant wait to find out looks like a great dept to work for. My interview was i think 14 mins give or take a couple I time it.
    That's great news. They seem to do the background checks much quicker than first thought. Sounds like we might be hearing something sooner than later. The odds seem to be in our favor, especially with the mid-08 academy.

Thread Information