Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Forum Member

Smile Need Help, Starting a Ladies Auxiliary

Hi Everyone, A bunch of ladies are interested in starting a ladies auxiliary at the fire house my husband belongs to. I am not sure how to start the organization. Is it a separate organization from the fire dept. or can you develop an auxiliary as a subset of the fire dept? I don't know how to "legally" start the organization. We live in PA and if you start a nonprofit organization you have to register it with the state and then get a tax id number from the irs. But I am not certain that we have to do that. We might be able to use the fire companies information as far as that goes. I hope my question makes sense. If anyone has any input I would greatly appreciate it. Please email me with auxiliary in the subject or post here. Thanks, Michelle
    quinnmichelle@hotmail.com

First thing you should do is consult an attorney, either the fire company's or the municipality. You need to see what state laws are in effect that you will need to follow. In PA you can work either off the company's charter or you may want to form your own charter. Again the lawyer can help you with that and whether you will need to set up your own FIN and tax numbers.

Second thing you need to do is get rid of the "Ladies". Most fire companies in this area dropped the "ladies" a long time ago and are now just auxilliaries. They still work behind the scenes to help raise money and support the firefighters which is a great thing. Also by dropping the "ladies" you open up the membership to both sexes.

Good luck.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

i agree with fragonfyre, I was on a vol. fire department for three years and my wife got on the aux. it was part of the department. now I ma on a different vol. department and they are just getting RESTARTED. and they too are under the department. the best thing I can tell you is get ready for a fun and long ride. it's not easy to get started, you need to get with the cheif and get so rules and guideline set and then you can go from there.

I will also say ..... from the people on the departments we do apperachate what you do. both with the aux. and at home. you take a lot of crap from us and still find it in your hearts to back us and help us out when we need it.

Forum Member

Red face Need info on starting an auxiliary

Hello, We are trying to start an auxiliary for our volunteer fire department and we don't know where to start. Can someone please send me some information. I would appreciate any guidelines, bylaws, ect..
    ( can we include our volunteer EMT's too?)

Thanks.

Bridgett

Email:
    kikib1075@aol.com

Forum Member

Here is a piece of advice for both people wanting to start auxillaries. Don't allow only one person to sign checks. Make sure two people have to sign them. This can be requested at any bank. (Trust me on this one) Start out small - don't try to do big things in the beginning. Bake sales, yard sales, etc are fine. Things that wont cost you anything to start except for advertising in the paper. DON'T do large events right off the bat. It will only bite you in the you know what and you WILL lose $$$$$$$. Our auxillary did that and our dept. has yet to see any of the money. We have given them alomst $1000 to start it. Their heart is in it, they just aren't planning it right. And make sure whatever you do that you have enough people to run it. I hope this helps you.

Forum Member

Smile Auxiliary

I am in the process of trying to start an auxilary. I have been a spouse of a fire fighter for 8 years now. I see the need to organize because we do have many people who want to help out the fire district but as the old saying goes to many cooks in a kitchen. So we end up with many people calling local fast food restraunts asking for donations of food and drink. People at the station making food and drink. We need to get organized. So I guess what I am trying to say is if you see a need go to your departments Chief and ask him/her what you can do to help and they may beable to direct you to the people who can help. I wish anyone who wishes to start an auxiliary to keep in mind there are people in your community who would love to help out that don't have a family member on your department. I am not saying open it to the general public but how about friends of members or even friends to the department. just an idea to consider if you are able to. This would be benifitful if you have a small department.

Default Just Learning

I am trying to start a women's auxiliary for my husbands volunteer fd but I am having trouble getting some of the wives motivated to help, does anyone have any suggestions to help get them in the mood?

Forum Member

Default Help Starting

We also need help starting an Auxillary, the intention is to leave it open that is possibly co-ed for the sons also and for any female members spouse.

Berniejr2@juno.com

Forum Member

Default How to start an Auxiliary?

go to www.AIAFF.org

The first thing you will see on their website is "How and Why to Start an Auxiliary.

I am the President of the Auxiliary in St Louis, MO. It is a LOT of work, but it can be rewarding. I wish you the best!

Teresa

Thread Information