Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: exhaust

Forum Member

Default exhaust

Has anyone ever heard of any kind of hose or adaptor of somesort to put on the exhaust of the fire truck to redirect the exhaust while on scene of a working fire. We stage at our truck and the exhaust is over whelming. I understand that we can stage some where else but this seems to be where it always is. Thanks

Forum Member

Default exhaust

Usually the only exhaust systems are in station only. On scene about the only thing that I can think of is having a roll of flex pipe or tubing to attach and roll out to whatever direction you need. Where to store the flex tube is the problem because you will probably want at least 15 feet of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

there are a few exhaust removal systems out there that mount to the truck. I am not all that familiar to them but I do believe that they would do what you are talking about. I believe that you could possible purchase this type of equipment out of your relief assoc. if you have one under FF safety. I will try to see if I can find the magizine with the product name in it.

As lvwrench stated, these are for start-up only. Much like the ventillation systems in newer stations, the kits that can be mounted directly to the exhaust system are operating only for 30 to 60 seconds after starting the apparatus.
    IACOJ

A vertical exhaust stack would solve your problem.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

we took an extra adapter from the magnagrip exhaust system in our station and adapted it to a 15ft piece of flex rubber hose. Works well. Also we divert the exhaust from the diesel generator on our rescue.

Forum Member

I have seen our State HazMat team use a semi-flexible exhaust and just add it on the end to redirect in the direction that makes sense for the specific scene. Saw them use it at a training exercise where multiple trucks would have been dumping exhaust in to one area if they didn't.

One more thing to carry on the truck..... vertical gets it up and out like suggested already.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Reply for information

Like was mentioned earlier, a vertical exhaust system would better suit your needs. I know for a fact that Los Angeles Fire Department has stacked exhausts on all of their newly purchased engines (KME). You may want to shoot an email to who ever the manufacture of your truck is and address your concern to them. If anybody is able to help, they should have all the information that you are needed including pricing, equipment needed and professional installers.

First, I'd recommend you take a close look at your truck. Your truck may need a tune up, if you can see the exhaust once the engine is warmed up there is something wrong with it (probably dirty/worn injectors). You may have an exhaust leak if you are getting it in the cab, a potentially extremely dangerous condition (ask me what 30min of 400ppm CO does to you, it sucks, thank God my windows were open). Commonly leaks are found at the band-clamps on the exhaust pipes. Look for carbon build up on the pipe around these clamps. If all checks out OK, consider having the exhaust point relocated, maybe moving it to the other side of the truck or behind the rear wheels will accomplish the same results as an extension.

If you go with an extension, you need to be aware that exhaust temps from a large diesel running at full steam can exceed 1000 degrees (gas engines and smaller diesels are much much cooler). Systems like the Pylmo Vent and the type that are built into the truck cannot handle that much heat, which is why they are restricted in both RPM and time. Any diverter you carry with you must be able to take the heat otherwise you'll end up with a gob of burning melted hose right next to your truck. You must also insure that it does not increase the back pressure on your exhaust as this will lead to loss of power and possibly turbo damage, so its got to be at least as large as the largest part of your tail pipe and not too long. Flexible steel hose is available but it is very bulky as it does not roll very tightly, you might be able to hide it in hard suction. You might also consider bringing a few sections of 5 or 6 inch stove pipe which can be coupled together and just laid out away from the truck.

In over 10 years of pumping I've yet to run into a problem with exhaust fumes (at least from my truck), so I suspect there may actually be a problem with your engine or exhaust. Might help us to understand better if we knew type/age/model of truck we were talking about too.

Good luck.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    ______________________________ __________________
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

Thread Information