Forum Member

Default Aspiring Firefighter W/ spondylolisthesis

I was diagnosed have a grade 1 case of spondylolisthesis when i was 12 years old. I rarely have any pain or discomfort from it. I want to be a firefighter but concerened that by me having this condition a department will not hire me. I am in great shape and have worked a variety of manual labor jobs while going to college without any problems. Any thoughts or opinons would be great.

Forum Member

First of all, could you explain to us exactly what spondylolisthesis is? I'm not up on my medical terms.

Forum Member

Default Def.

Spondylolysis is a defect or fracture of one or both of the wing-shaped parts of a vertebra. These "wings" (pars interarticularis) help keep the vertebrae in place. When a "wing" is absent, defective from birth, or damaged, a vertebra can slide forward or backward over the bone below, sometimes compressing the spinal cord or a nerve root. This slipping, called spondylolisthesis, usually happens at the base of the spine.

Forum Member

Unhappy

I appoligise about my last entry I was being stupid. I apolligise about not being able to help. where is the department that your wanting to get into. I don't know if I can help you but I can sure try. w. sandidge
    Last edited by sandidge2; 02-08-2006 at 10:44 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandidge2
    well I guess that you could well I dunno how to help. i'm sorry I'm at a voulenteer firedept. so we have one kid who is in a wheel chair. I'm sorry I can't help but if you wanna e-mail me I sure help you try to get on a department. my e-mail is sandidge2@firehousemail.com william Sandidge is my name. so e-mail me as soon as possible.

I dont think it would prevent you from being hired at all. As long as you pass the required physical testing for whatever deaprtment your applying at it shouldnt be an issue.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

I can't even pronounce it, nor did I have a clue what it was, so I really can't offer much input on it. Make sure those in charge are aware of it and do not try to do things you know you shouldn't because of it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

A good place to start would be the NFPA 1582, which covers medical for firefighters....many departments use this as their guide. I would then call the departments you wish to work at and see what their requirements are. Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Kid,
    It depends if it is symptomatic or not if you suffer from chronic pain than it is a Cat. A medical condition. However if it is a symptomatic it is considered a Cat B medical condition which can be waived by an individual department. Get your paramedic and a Cat B will be waived I almost bet on it.
    Good luck

Thread Information