Thread: Feedback...

Forum Member

Default Feedback...

My Chief has expressed an interest in a form to be given out after calls and inspection details asking John and Jane Q. Public about how they feel the FD met their needs. The form, iif it is done willl also be posted on the City's website.

For those of you who use them...

When do you issue them ( do you mail it to them a few days after the incident or right afterward if it isa minor one)

What type of calls do you issue them for?

What kind of feedback are you getting?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Capt.-
    Never have used them, but one thing about them really scares me. The public will never understand firefighting, no matter how hard we try to teach them. I realized this when watching a segment on Firehouse USA in which my girlfriend asked why the firemen who ripping all of their walls down? We function according to our training, which can be contrary to common sense. Anyone remember the job in NYC a couple of years back when the bystanders complained that it took 12 minutes to get water on the fire? The public will not understand what we do and why we do- below are some of the problems I would foresee
    1.) Lack of understanding to the order and method used.
    2.) Lack of accurately assessing time.
    3.) Outside influences, such as not being allowed into their own home during involvement = rude firefighters
    4.) Apparatus + BLS and ALS- Why did so many people come to watch?
    5.) Necessary damage and inconvenience (they broke out my car window for no reason [blocking the plug] and they wouldn't let me pull into my driveway).

Best of luck to you.

Forum Member

We used a survey form for a couple of years, We would hand them (citizens) one after a call and they had a prepaid postage (post card). We got pretty good responce as a whole. The first time we used them the questions were too long, they quickly changed them and made the questions short yes/No, Agree/Disagree type questions. You had to learn how to time when you gave them out but that was not that bad. And No I am sure they were not given out to every citizen we made contact with but I did try and make a point to briefly visit with the citizen and explain why and what the pourpose of the survey was. Good luck with the right delivery method they could be used as a good tool when your Chief is standing in front of the Council asking for more equipment, manpower, or whatever your needs are.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by orangehopeful
    Capt.-
    Never have used them, but one thing about them really scares me. The public will never understand firefighting, no matter how hard we try to teach them. I realized this when watching a segment on Firehouse USA in which my girlfriend asked why the firemen who ripping all of their walls down? We function according to our training, which can be contrary to common sense. Anyone remember the job in NYC a couple of years back when the bystanders complained that it took 12 minutes to get water on the fire? The public will not understand what we do and why we do- below are some of the problems I would foresee
    1.) Lack of understanding to the order and method used.
    2.) Lack of accurately assessing time.
    3.) Outside influences, such as not being allowed into their own home during involvement = rude firefighters
    4.) Apparatus + BLS and ALS- Why did so many people come to watch?
    5.) Necessary damage and inconvenience (they broke out my car window for no reason [blocking the plug] and they wouldn't let me pull into my driveway).

Best of luck to you.
    I agree. The public will never fully understand the hows and whys of what we do. That is one reason why I make every effort, whenever possible, to explain to a "customer" why we did what we did.
    Overhaul especially, is a process we know to be critical on any fire. But to the uneducated public, it looks like needless, chaotic destruction. If they understand, even a little bit, of the necessity of the process, they tend to be much less upset with it. Every single person I have dealt with in this way has been very receptive and appreciative of the information I provided.
    This is not to say that I give them a course in "Firefighting-101", but a little explanation of what transpired goes a long way.

Same thing with some med calls. I try to (very, very briefly of course) explain to patients and family members that may question the necessity of something that may appear to them to be totally unnecessary (or vice versa).

I would be very interested to get some feedback from the public with regards to both the level of service that we feel we provide, and the publics perception of the level of service they receive(d).
    It will obviously help us in the "marketing" of our dept. to the community, as well as in acquiring even more public support for us during critical contract negotiations with the city.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

The Department I used to dispatch for - Marion Township in Marion Ohio, sent out surveys every month to all the people we assisted in the previous month...we used the address from the run sheet to send the form...we used Chief Brunancini's customer service book as a guide....we had very favorable responses from them....i dont know if they are still using them or not but Im sure you could contact them for info. they are Local 2134 IAFF.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

We use them for all of our calls (small department with low call volume) and they are sent out shortly after the call. Sure, we get an occassional one ripping us for "not being fast enough" but overall they are positive. We even get donations sent in with the surveys The survey is one page long with ratings of 1-5 (5 is best) with a comments section for each line. Topics include appearance of crew (clothing, gear), attitude, quality of care, response time, etc. We also have a section for the homeowner to request a membership application since we are a volunteer department. I would be hesitant about posting negative reviews on a public website though. If someone is really ticked off about our service, we might give them a call to let them vent and see if there was a misunderstanding or something we need to fix.
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

My department uses them for EMS calls. I think its required as part of our county EMS contract. They are mailed as soon as our EMS Chief reviews the run reports (whenever that is).

Its really stupid though, the second question, before anything about how we treated your medical condition, is was our appearance "neat and professional".
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

If anyone has copies of these types of forms that I could use, I'd like to suggest this to our fire district. Would be nice to know how the community thinks we did after a call, and what improvements can be made.

bsimmons332@yahoo.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We had the same hair brain idea years ago too. It was a post card that was either mailed or dropped off by our full time inspector while he was out and about. (dropped off seemed to get more positive results)

It was a post card with pre-paid postage with 5 questions. All rated on a 1-5 scale with 1 being poor and 5 being excellent.

1. Quality of service
    2. Attitude and professionalism of crew
    3. Response time
    4. Effectiveness of service (did we correct or help the problem?)
    5. Professional appearance
    ---and a bunch of lines for extra comments with phone numbers to contact if someone really had a bitch.

In my opinion, anytime you get some PR is good. The public will not understand what we do and why we do it if no one explains it to them. We are quiet and out of sight until the call comes in, the door opens, we respond, we come back, and CLOSE the door again unitl next time. These post cards were a good idea and helped a bit when we went to get our next engine from the city. It also helped us to increase the professionalism and quality of care too. I think our return rate was about 50% and the ones we mailed out came back with 5's across the board as if they didn't even read the question, no comments and sent it out again. About half of what we recieved back actually took the time to do the survey and leave comments.

We tried to call back the ones that had us reated at an average or below average or left bad comments to get the full story and maybe explain stuff too. EVentually it was passed out less and less and just kinda died. No real reason why.

Overall I guess I would say it was a good idea but it was a pain in the ***** to dig one out at 3am after your tired from working a fire and give it to them or to give one to the family after someone just died. "yeah, sorry bout Grandma but would you fill out this survey?" Timing is everything.

Good luck Cap.....it really should be taken care of at the Chief level. A bat cheif would be great at handing those out don't ya think??

Last edited by Dickey; 02-07-2006 at 06:12 AM.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information